Pins and slots vs No Pins and slots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pins and slots vs No Pins and slots?

Ok a preference question that extends to every last model ever made.

Would you prefer the kits didn't have all the things meant to make the kit 'easier'? Locating pins and groves or slots meant to locate a part.

Or would you rather have no aids at all, and be prepared to just need to learn where they belonged from both instruction sheet as well as proper research.

Time after time, I have often found, if a kit has a weakness, it is often the parts meant to make the kit 'easier' actually ruined the appearance or were no help at all.
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

It depends on the kit and manufacturer. Some times the pins are a necessity and other times a burden. How bad is the plastic warped, and some time it depends on how many hands you have.

Butt joints for flying surfaces are a no no. Those you have to drill and pin.
    I can cite Classic Airframes as notorious for this because they are limited run kits. I dont want to build another bipe from them. Tamiya on the other hand are quite nice but some time you have a lemon.

So, if you want no pins and slots I would suggest vac form. That will try your skills as well as temper.
    Cheers
    Paul
    An they shall mount up with wings as eagles

Comment

Vacuform eeeew shudder.

Comment

Originally posted by LRB View Post
        Ok a preference question that extends to every last model ever made.

Would you prefer the kits didn't have all the things meant to make the kit 'easier'? Locating pins and groves or slots meant to locate a part.

Or would you rather have no aids at all, and be prepared to just need to learn where they belonged from both instruction sheet as well as proper research.

Time after time, I have often found, if a kit has a weakness, it is often the parts meant to make the kit 'easier' actually ruined the appearance or were no help at all.
        i did a sub and didnt line up properyl ...and i got out the putty put it in undercoat and i rubbed it back and primed it and rubbed it back again and primed it not sure if the pins worked i used SOLID BOND and it dries fast!
        Buy a kit sell a kit., build a kit., stash one too.

Comment

I guess now that people mention it, maybe not so bad to have a few locator pins on a fuselage half or decent locator slots for a wing root. I think they might be ok for any major part that is essentially roundish halves that likely can't be glued easy all in one motion.

I think it vexes me mainly in fiddly bits that don't need the help, don't even have enough mass to fall off the kit.

Comment

If nothing else, sometimes the pins and slots confirm that I'm gluing the right two pieces together.

I'm happy they're there. They rarely cause a problem with the finished product.
            --Tobias Gibson
            On the web at: Blindkat.hegewisch.net

Comment

I like the idea of tabs intermittent with a few locator pins and holes- have yet to see that would help with welding. Oh well so much about wishing.

I definitely read a couple of build reviews of the kit (if I can find them) esp with Chinese and Eastern block stuff. A lot of the written steps or drawings are incorrect or in the wrong order.
              "At some point, we've all parked in the wrong garage."- Roger Sterling, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Dane_Bramage View Post
                I like the idea of tabs intermittent with a few locator pins and holes- have yet to see that would help with welding. Oh well so much about wishing.

I definitely read a couple of build reviews of the kit (if I can find them) esp with Chinese and Eastern block stuff. A lot of the written steps or drawings are incorrect or in the wrong order.
                Yes pins do help!. I had that Hobby Boss: PLA, song class sub. I got a good end result for a club build a few weeks ago, i only got one shot at the halves and the Solid Bond 390 took over.
                Buy a kit sell a kit., build a kit., stash one too.

Comment

part of it is how well it was engineered to begin with. Tamiya fits together very nicely. I have found an easy solution to bad pins is to simply cut them off, it takes all of 2 seconds and no worries. That being said on a well designed model the locator pins are great.
                  "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
                  John Adams, 1770

Comment

Sometimes they help, other times I have to cut them off and glue in tabs due to warping and misalignment.
                    “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

They either mate up or they don't. Sean is correct, if they do, COOL! If they don't, shave them off and keep on gettin' up! Mate-ability of construction pins is DEFINITELY an indicator of the quality of the kit manufacturer. Tamyia has always had close tolerances, some of the others, not so much.
                      http://www.ebay.com/usr/froglevelzcool

“The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom." - George S. Patton

Comment

Pins are fine for parts that have to mate perfectly, as long as there isn't a whole lot of slop in the fit.

I also like just having locating marks instead of pins or slots.
                        If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X