Nostalgia kits and just plain old models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nostalgia kits and just plain old models

Just saw the post with a 1964 kit in it (Revell plane), and I was wondering, where does everyone stand on vintage kits and the like.

Myself, I can see the obvious merits of a kit that is claimed to be worth a small fortune being taken seriously, but seriously, I built kits from that time period to some extent. My model making began in the early 70s. Thus what I was making was no older than the early 70s.

But even though I have fond memories of making stacks of Matchbox vehicles and swarms of airplanes, when I look at the latest in kits today, stuff no older than a year ie 2011-2012, I really don't miss the often rough nature of the industry and product of my youth.

Sure I enjoyed that Sherman Firefly from Matchbox. I think I made 3 of them. But looking back, it is soooo utterly outdone by the one from Dragon.

I prefer to have the best of kit product available. I want hyper crisp molds, almost no seam work at all, part fit that almost seems effortless. Sure I want accuracy in measurements and all of that, but really, I find a poorly fitting but entirely accurate kit to be less appealing than a kit that has a technical gaff that only a total expert could even detect, but yet has part fit and part crispness that is entirely amazing.

The only time I actually get excited about old kits of yesteryears long past, is when the subject is just plain ultra rare and no one has really ever done one since. Then and only then would I even give it the time of day. But only if the kit was known to be a lot better an item than many of it's peers from it's own time and in general pretty close to what we expect of today's kits.

No amount of rarity and dollar worth to a collector will get me interested in a kit that was never all that great to begin with.
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

I have plenty enough new kits to keep myself busy for, well, a really long time to say the least. I have no attachment to old kits as I didn't really start building until the very late 90's. However, if there is a lucrative market for the vintage kits then I can see the draw to them.
    "You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

Comment

True LRB, the Hobby has progressed, or shall I say, has "Evolved" into something rather complicated. With the right presentation, some of the older kits can still represent nicely..... IMHO
      http://www.ebay.com/usr/froglevelzcool

“The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom." - George S. Patton

Comment

I bought a few long out of production 1960's to 1970's Aurora kits off eBay about 10 years ago as collector's items. I would never build them.
        • P-40 Warhawk
        • UH-1 Huey "Cobra" Gunship (that's what the box says)
        • AH-1 Huey "Cobra" Gunship
        • HH-53 Jolly Green Giant.

They've sat on a shelf in my closet for a decade. I sold the P-40 for $50 on eBay last year. I'm thinking about selling the helicopters too.

I have quite a few older Monogram kits. I built a few ~15 years ago. I recently tried to start building this one:

I started painting some of the interior parts... At the rate I'm going, I might have it built in a year or two...
        Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
          I bought a few long out of production 1960's to 1970's Aurora kits off eBay about 10 years ago as collector's items. I would never build them.
          • P-40 Warhawk
          • UH-1 Huey "Cobra" Gunship (that's what the box says)
          • AH-1 Huey "Cobra" Gunship
          • HH-53 Jolly Green Giant.

They've sat on a shelf in my closet for a decade. I sold the P-40 for $50 on eBay last year. I'm thinking about selling the helicopters too.

I have quite a few older Monogram kits. I built a few ~15 years ago. I recently tried to start building this one:

I started painting some of the interior parts... At the rate I'm going, I might have it built in a year or two...
          That's a nice kit Doc! No nonsense and and fairly accurate!

“The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom." - George S. Patton

Comment

Aurora will always appreciate. Everything else is a roll of the dice. Sometimes though you get the right modeler at the right time and you can make a bunch of $ on just about any kit. People getting back into the hobby after a long time away are more likely to but the older stuff. But like 1/32 Revell P-47. Four years ago was going on ebay for 40-50 all day long. Now you are lucky if you can get over 12-17 bucks for it. When Hasegawa issued their new tool 1/32 P-47 (about 2 years after Trumpeter's 1/32 P-47 line) that about killed it. Both makers have made gorgeous Jug kits so the Revell which requires mucho sanding and scribing for a proper look is not so desirable. My .02 - If you are interested oldmodelkits has the HH-3 JGG for $65.00.

$135.00 for this one

$135.00
            Last edited by Dane_Bramage; 15 Oct 12, 19:39.
            "At some point, we've all parked in the wrong garage."- Roger Sterling, Jr.

Comment

I have almost all (missing the B-29) of the old Monogram 1/48th bombers and large aircraft from the 70's. Great kits I built in my youth and hope to build again (the right way ) someday.
              If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

I love and still build the old kits. I started building in the 1960s. I prefer Tamiya tanks of the 1970s and 1980s because many of them build into great looking kits and they are comparatively easy to build. I'm not trying to win contests and no matterhow accurate you think the kit is, someone is always going to say you got some detail wrong!

As for old kits, on the docket for repair is an M29 Weasel. Going to turn it into a Korean war ambulance

IMG_2753.jpg

IMG_2754.JPG

IMG_2755.jpg
                --Tobias Gibson
                On the web at: Blindkat.hegewisch.net

Comment

Before I left, I found this at my local RC store that has about 10 model kits on the shelf.This was was laying in the back, got it for $25 all sprues still in bags:
                  The free world knows, out of the bitter wisdom of experience, that vigilance and sacrifice are the price of liberty.
                  Dwight D. Eisenhower
                  April 16, 1953

Comment

Originally posted by AirborneBob View Post
                    Before I left, I found this at my local RC store that has about 10 model kits on the shelf.This was was laying in the back, got it for $25 all sprues still in bags:
                    Bob! That is a Great Kit!!! I remember the box art and I think it is definitely from the 70's ..... NICE!!!!!!

Comment

Its amaizing some of the old kits i see at swap n sells and they sell em for a song, one bloke had hasa kits 72nd scale going cheap in shrink wrap. Will focus for old collectables at the next one see what i come up with.
                      Buy a kit sell a kit., build a kit., stash one too.

Comment

Originally posted by pinzer View Post
                        Its amaizing some of the old kits i see at swap n sells and they sell em for a song, one bloke had hasa kits 72nd scale going cheap in shrink wrap. Will focus for old collectables at the next one see what i come up with.
                        Yep, they're still available .... I just bought this one last night - That gives me two of these, now if I can just get around to building one...

Comment

:
                          Originally posted by razorboy View Post
                          Yep, they're still available .... I just bought this one last night - That gives me two of these, now if I can just get around to building one...
                          Nice one !

Comment

I had this one on my stash thread. This has been a great find for me.

Comment

I've built that Panther pinzer (long ago).

Razorboy, was that Jagdpanther the 25th scale one? I have the Bandai release of it. I got mine for a song as well. As well as the Bandai Panther and Centurion Mk III and a Chieftain which were original Tamiya.
                              Life is change. Built models for decades.
                              Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                              I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X