Your Hobby Zone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Hobby Zone

Ok we all have a table to work at in most cases, even if the table is often not a permanent location.

But.

Do you have something more so?

The reason I ask, is I am more or less used to hearing wargamer lament and role gamer lament. It's either, the wife hates me playing my wargames, or I never have the time needed to gather with like minded people to role game (the pen and paper type, I am not including MMOs here).

The thing is, you always MAKE it happen if it actually matters eh.
    You either tell the wife 'hey, I'm not sneaking out to another woman's bed, or drinking myself drunk with buddies eh', and MAKE some time to play that wargame, or your game really isn't too important to you.
    Same thing with role gaming eh. I have been playing role games for years. True the friends at the table just seem to get older and older.

And in the case of my models, well I DO have a hobby room. It isn't a table in a closet stuck there like an unwanted intrusion. The wife does indeed have her own portions of the house, so I don't feel bad for expecting my own space. Granted, I have had to decide on model room OR wargame room, can't do both. And role gaming means a place to play, but at the end of the day it disappears.
    Lately I have been wracking my brain trying to think of a way to make a train layout (the solution refuses to materialize fully).

But I do have a genuine hobby room. 11x11 worth of space that is all mine. A nice old oak desk, oodles of shelves lots of lighting and not just a basement either.

How important has it been to have a space for your models?
    What marvels of location have you achieved?
    And how starved of your time is your hobby?
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

You may want to check out this thread from a while back.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...ad.php?t=66078
    wedmodelfactory.com

On the workbench: 1:48 tornado / 1:48 B-25 / 1:48 Rafale B / 1:72 SU-24 / 1:48 HE-111 / 1:72 SR-75 / 1:72 A-12 / 1:32 ME-262B / 1:72 B-17 / 1:48 Mig-25 / 1:48 A-7D / M-48 Patton /1:32 BF-110 / 1:32 P-40 / Worf

Comment

I've got the bonus room over the garage for my modeling space. Got a tv and dvd player up there for war movies while I'm building. However, my time management isn't all that great. So, I am usually only up there during the weekends for a little while. Still trying to figure out how to juggle kids, chores, and other husbandly duties.
      "You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

Comment

Originally posted by triggerjockey View Post
        I've got the bonus room over the garage for my modeling space. Got a tv and dvd player up there for war movies while I'm building. However, my time management isn't all that great. So, I am usually only up there during the weekends for a little while. Still trying to figure out how to juggle kids, chores, and other husbandly duties.
        get rid of the kids, that should help...
        wedmodelfactory.com

On the workbench: 1:48 tornado / 1:48 B-25 / 1:48 Rafale B / 1:72 SU-24 / 1:48 HE-111 / 1:72 SR-75 / 1:72 A-12 / 1:32 ME-262B / 1:72 B-17 / 1:48 Mig-25 / 1:48 A-7D / M-48 Patton /1:32 BF-110 / 1:32 P-40 / Worf

Comment

Originally posted by Wedfactory View Post
          get rid of the kids, that should help...
          Sometimes...............

Comment

For a train layout, join a modular club. http://srvmodelrailroad.org/

A pdf blueprint of a module has been attached. By moving the leg supports to the edge and using the cutout for the foot, you can lock the leg into storage position by unscrewing them into the socket. The foam core makes the table very rigid without adding a lot of weight to it.

I found that 1x6 dimensional for the sides still has enough room underneath for the leg sockets.
            Last edited by SRV Ron; 13 Jul 17, 05:50.
            “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Well I'm suffering from a severe lack of room at the moment. There simply aren't any spare rooms in the house (good building land being at something of a premium you get far less square foot for your buck compared to you lucky sobs ).

I currently have to wait until my daughter is in bed, then pull out her dining table (nice little natural wood finish job from Ikea, sits nicely in the corner of the front room when she's in bed) and get to it. The tables a little on the low side but needs must and all that.

I do, however, have a dream gentlemen. I am suffering from an extreme case of airbrush envy. Everywhere I look, beautifully and uniformly rendered models adorn magazines and web sites but there simply isn't anywhere in the house to set one up (the kitchen, bathroom and kids room are out obviously, so that leaves the front room or our bedroom. Neither of those would fly). There is however a glimmer of hope on the horizon. Our boiler is gubbed. Its ancient and needs replaced. Even the wife is starting to acknowledge the fact. The system is so old that the boiler feeds into a storage tank in the loft. The loft is undeveloped, just bare joists with access blocked by the storage tank. Get a new boiler however and the tank can be chucked out. With the tank gone wooden boards could go down. Our storage problems would be relieved. I could get her cousin to run a cable up to a double socket, build a table under the skylight and lo - a private little world where I could paint Sabres and B-29's in metallic finishes. Bf-110's with subtle mottled camo schemes. Hell, even IJN aircraft in all white!

I just have to be patient. No way I'm getting the boiler replaced as we decend into the depths of a Scottish winter. Come the spring though....

Comment

We built this house a few years back and I convinced the Wife to let me put the "Garage" that was in the plans, up on a foundation and "Voila" - a 20' x 20' "Fortress of Solitude" (except for the occasional cat or dog incursion). I divided it in two and have a 10'x 10' Den and a 10' x 10' Shop (For lack of better words). I built my bench out of pine 2 x 4's and plywood and it has served me well.
                Some people say that I'm "Lucky" to have that much space but there's nothing lucky about it, it was bought and paid for on the Free Market through years of hard work, the realization of a vision back in the 70's when I was building models on a rickety folding card table in my Mom's basement. Truth be known, I did just as good as work there as I do here. There is an old saying - "Home is where you make it". I believe that ultimately that applies to modeling space as well. Doesn't really matter where you do it, as long as you enjoy doing it...... Feel free to use that.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/froglevelzcool

“The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom." - George S. Patton

Comment

Originally posted by razorboy View Post
                  We built this house a few years back and I convinced the Wife to let me put the "Garage" that was in the plans, up on a foundation and "Voila" - a 20' x 20' "Fortress of Solitude" (except for the occasional cat or dog incursion). I divided it in two and have a 10'x 10' Den and a 10' x 10' Shop (For lack of better words). I built my bench out of pine 2 x 4's and plywood and it has served me well.
                  Some people say that I'm "Lucky" to have that much space but there's nothing lucky about it, it was bought and paid for on the Free Market through years of hard work, the realization of a vision back in the 70's when I was building models on a rickety folding card table in my Mom's basement. Truth be known, I did just as good as work there as I do here. There is an old saying - "Home is where you make it". I believe that ultimately that applies to modeling space as well. Doesn't really matter where you do it, as long as you enjoy doing it...... Feel free to use that.

Looks nice RB

Comment

Im spending 2 hours to clean mine up tomorrow and put a nice tamiya model on it
                    Buy a kit sell a kit., build a kit., stash one too.

Comment

Originally posted by Wedfactory View Post
                      You may want to check out this thread from a while back.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...ad.php?t=66078
                      I don't have that desk anymore, in fact I don't even have that house either.

Finding room in my current house is almost impossible to secure a spot for a desk permanently. All my stuff is packed away in containers, with nowhere to build or even display I've given up at the moment.
                      Last edited by Achtung Baby; 12 Oct 12, 05:22.
                      "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                      Ernest Hemingway.

"The more I learn about people, The more I love my dog".
                      Mark Twain.

Comment

I have a secret weapon inasmuch as how the home gets used here though.

On paper I signed on as husband, but the fact is, my 'wife' while she did the mother work, hasn't been a wife for all of our 26 years

I've been the housewife in this deal where picking the location, picking the way the furniture gets arranged, who gets what room and all of the routine of getting the housework done. I am the one that assigns chores. I see that the shopping gets done. I manage the finances and see that everyone has spending money. I see to it everyone gets new clothes and shoes. I cook half the meals.

So it is actually kinda comical, that my hobby room is actually the other half of the room (it has a meaningless 3 foot long partion wall with opening seemingly designating a difference) that is our kitchen here.

If not for the power tools there simply wouldn't be much proof I wasn't 'her' wife. Oh well, being labelled a 'husband' isn't realy worth much in the grand scheme of things. All I missed out on was an engagement ring.

Some women collect shoes, I collect models
                        Life is change. Built models for decades.
                        Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                        I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X