Purchase pace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchase pace?

Ok, we all know most of us buy and then add to stash and when we are feeling weird, we actually build something.

But, how often do you actually buy models?

I have a process by which I never buy with money I didn't have to spend. No getting out the credit card.

But I generally indulge myself 1-2 kits per month. So in a year, it is not peculiar to end up with 20 kits. Now you know why I burned out the supply of Tamiyas.
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

I've been buying a couple a week for the past few months but I have been reselling some on ebay. I try to find out of production kits, preferably still factory sealed and in the earliest issue box art available. There is a pretty serious community of old kit collectors out there that I didn't realize existed until I started buying and selling. Every now and again I will get a great deal on a kit that isn't sealed or perhaps the box is dented or warped, those I usually keep to build.... at some point. I like dealing models, I'll never get rich doing it but it has become almost as enjoyable of a hobby as building them is.
    http://www.ebay.com/usr/froglevelzcool

“The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom." - George S. Patton

Comment

I have champagne tastes on a beer budget. I do have a good allowance after all the bills are paid and the girls have their indulgence money so I get paint and kits from that but these past couple of months with my ill health has curtailed my modeling habit some. I do like the big 32 kits and the nice 48 ones but I do go for some Revell ones every once in a while.

I have bought some real splendid kits from John and do most of my ordering from scale hobbyist or sprue.
      An they shall mount up with wings as eagles

Comment

Too fast. I have more models than I will likely ever build. And today I'm off to a show where I'll probably come home with some more. It's like shopping therapy.

Comment

I'll pick up one or two whenever I need a 'sprue fix'.
          "You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

Comment

I got to swaps, there second hand and i get them 1/3rd of the price, and get with a group theme(a must buy) and also get them new. my stash is growing with a mix of 35th and 72nd with only 3 builds this year. normaly 3 35th scale per year or 6 72 scale tanks i obtain per year.
            Buy a kit sell a kit., build a kit., stash one too.

Comment

I just picked up eight at the IPMS show today. Having trouble finding space for them.

Comment

If I don't build them, I don't buy them.
                "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                Ernest Hemingway.

Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, Or what's a heaven for?

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan View Post
                  I just picked up eight at the IPMS show today. Having trouble finding space for them.
                  I think I can fit 8 more in my closet... Raffle winnings I'm assuming.

I used the rewards system to quit smoking and bought models (on sale) with the money I would have used for cigarettes. I now have a closet full of unbuilts. Now, I only buy at model shows, and after careful consideration.
                  If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Originally posted by Freightshaker View Post
                    I think I can fit 8 more in my closet... Raffle winnings I'm assuming.

I used the rewards system to quit smoking and bought models (on sale) with the money I would have used for cigarettes. I now have a closet full of unbuilts. Now, I only buy at model shows, and after careful consideration.
                    Bought four and won three. Not bad for a total of $45. Missed the big draw. They had some nice stuff.
                    Buying at model shows pays off.
                    Last edited by Duncan; 06 Oct 12, 23:20.

Comment

Have a major project with the Walther's Cornerstone series Steel mill series. Bought all of the kits, except the Hewlett Unloader, at a 40% discount.

The blast furnace kit need tons of filling and smoothing in all of the plumbing that goes with the furnace. The included highline doesn't have hoppers so those will need to be fabricated.

Given that the entire steel mill needs to fit in a space 18 inches wide for the modules, I expect that I will need at least 15 feet of module length to lay this out with supporting local track to service this industry. All structures will need assembly before I can do trackwork.

Given the current rising cost of HO track, I was able to obtain used switches at a model flea market for $3 each and just stocked up on flex track. I also picked up a dozen assembled and unassembled Design Preservation building shells for pennies on the dollar for the modules. I just add a roof and interiors to complete.

I keep an eye out for deals at the garage sales, model flea markers, and model club sales. Picked up three old good plastic model boat kits last week, all opened, for $8.

Picked up a dozen different all stamped sheet metal buildings kits from the 50s. Built before there was superglue, they were designed to be soldered together. Needless to say, superglue is a lot faster and cleaner for assembly.

Flea markets, model show raffles, garage sales, consignment shops, all good sources for finding something interesting to build without having to invest a lot of money. Limited edition NASCAR kit from Revell still shrink wrapped for $2 at a garage sale.
                      “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Been finding great deals on literature. I have plenty of kits to build so I'm doing extensive research. I like the stories that go with the model... and then there's the accuracy issue without becoming obsessive. Can't afford a $300.00 caliper set. LOL.

Current reading subjects:
                        P-47 (primarilary Bubbletop variants and the guys that flew them)

F6Fx Hellcat

F-8x Crusader

F-4x Phantom II

A-7x Corsair II

North Vietnamese Mig units of the conflict.
                        "At some point, we've all parked in the wrong garage."- Roger Sterling, Jr.

Comment

i need to stop collecting and start building more. my god its getting ridiculous!!!
                          i yam what i yam and thats what i yam!

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Patterson View Post
                            i need to stop collecting and start building more. my god its getting ridiculous!!!
                            Join the club man.

Comment

This thread makes me feel better. I thought I was getting carried away. Compaired to a lot of you guys I buy at a snails pace. Thing is, I build slower

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X