Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

98-year-old woman becomes first woman ever to earn Judo's highest-degree black belt.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 98-year-old woman becomes first woman ever to earn Judo's highest-degree black belt.

    http://shine.yahoo.com/event/vitalit...-belt-2523297/

    This is pretty amazing stuff, good for her. I beileve we have at least a few Judo students among the members here as well.

  • #2
    No small feat!
    Judo began in 1882. She will be the 16th(?) tenth degree black belt and only the fourth since the early 80s. It represents a great contribution.



    Last edited by Duncan; 09 Aug 11, 21:01.
    AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
    The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

    Comment


    • #3
      In the picture, she seems to be in a wheelchair.....


      Philip
      "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by philiplaos View Post
        In the picture, she seems to be in a wheelchair.....


        Philip
        Higher belts are awarded for contribution and activities other than fighting. Judo was developed as a national program of moral and physical education - more than a combat sport. Although it has changed to reflect primarily the competative sporting aspect the martial art used to be about education, rather than fighting per se.

        There is no real requirement for 10th dan. In Canada to make 8th dan the minimum age is 59 and you must have spent a minimum of 12 years as a 7th dan. The formal syllabus ends at 8th dan.
        Last edited by Duncan; 09 Aug 11, 21:07.
        AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
        The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

        Comment


        • #5
          Congratulations!!! This is quite an accomplishment, knowing Japanese culture, customs and attitudes towards women.

          The belt would look good around her.

          "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

          "A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Duncan View Post
            Higher belts are awarded for contribution and activities other than fighting. Judo was developed as a national program of moral and physical education - more than a combat sport. Although it has changed to reflect primarily the competative sporting aspect the martial art used to be about education, rather than fighting per se.

            There is no real requirement for 10th dan. In Canada to make 8th dan the minimum age is 59 and you must have spent a minimum of 12 years as a 7th dan. The formal syllabus ends at 8th dan.

            Ya...you pretty much have to be 90 to make 10th Dan in any legit school.

            You also have to be quite political.

            5th Dan for her in 1942 was a wicked accomplishment.

            Making 5th Dan in 7 years in the 1930's was also an amazing accomplishment..

            It looks like her favorite throw is my 2nd favorite throw!!
            #occupyarmchairgeneral.
            Nothing is easier than self-deceit. For what each man wishes, that he also believes to be true. Demosthenes.
            Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. Laurence J. Peter

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Crash View Post
              Ya...you pretty much have to be 90 to make 10th Dan in any legit school.

              You also have to be quite political.

              5th Dan for her in 1942 was a wicked accomplishment.

              Making 5th Dan in 7 years in the 1930's was also an amazing accomplishment..

              It looks like her favorite throw is my 2nd favorite throw!!
              Black belts aren't awarded by the school though. Schools can only grade up to brown belt. Then you are handed over to the provincial, national, and international boards.

              What is her favourite? I didn't see it mentioned.
              Many people teach that tokui waza is a myth. Judo requires the correct technique, correct time, and correct force. Relying on a favourite throw may be detrimental because of the temptation to use it regardless of what the situation requires. It can also cost you when facing opponents who have been scouting your previous matches that day. I've heard the occasional 'one trick pony' comment thrown around.
              Last edited by Duncan; 10 Aug 11, 14:32.
              AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
              The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

              Comment


              • #8
                I'll bet every last Canadian dollar that this old woman could beat the crap out of Crash everyday of the week as long as it is not during Early-Bird Special hours.





























                Just busting your chaps, Crash................
                Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

                Prayers.

                BoRG

                http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

                Comment


                • #9
                  Earning a tenth-degree black belt at age 98?! Incredible!
                  "I have never known a combat soldier who did not show a residue of war." --Sergeant Ed Stewart, 84th Division, US Army, WWII

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    For anyone interested you can watch the world cadet championships live (Kiev time - starts 1130pm PST) on the intarweb beginning Aug 11. http://www.ippon.tv/
                    AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                    The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I was curious, having absolutely no martial arts experience, what exactly goes into qualifying for one of those x-degree black belts. Is it some kind of review board, or skill test? Are there judges or a fixed standard to meet?
                      A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
                        I was curious, having absolutely no martial arts experience, what exactly goes into qualifying for one of those x-degree black belts. Is it some kind of review board, or skill test? Are there judges or a fixed standard to meet?
                        Grading is based on corporal ability, technical ability and maturity. Technical requirements up to brown belt are determined by the club. The national board sets the minimum age for brown belt at 15 I think. Here is my club's brown belt exam -
                        http://www.pocojudo.com/docs/grading...ading_1kyu.pdf

                        Black belt grading standards and promotions are decided by the national board who defer to the provincial board for examination and review their recomendations. You require a certain number of points before being invited a provincial clinic and/or grading and your resume is reviewed by the national board. Here is the national grading syllabus for Canada -
                        http://www.judocanada.org/doc/Gradin...abus_EN_v4.pdf

                        For black belts under 21 there is a competition requirement. Many clubs also have this for their coloured belts. Us old folks are excused from competition but must still get a certain percentage of our points from technical aspects such as coaching, ref'ing, workshops, etc...

                        Going from brown to black is something of a commitment and it's sometimes said that every day is a grading day. For example, when I ref a tournament we do half hour rotations. There is a head table at every mat where the refs are watched from. Every half hour someone from the head table calls your group of three aside and reviews your performance. If someone from the head table stands up walks to the matt edge in the middle of a fight everyone moves away because that is the signal that a ref is being called in early for a 'discussion.' When you go to a workshop, wether it's coaching, ref'ing, kata, whatever there are members of the grading board present and 'getting to know you.' In order to get my 30 non-technical points I'm required to get in 120 hours a year of judo. To get 5 technical points as an assistant coach I'm required to be certified by the national coaching program, coach 100 hours a year and adhere to their new continuing competancy requirements. Kids in their 20s who compete a lot (and win) can go from brown to black in a year or two. Us old folks can take four+ and some people never take that extra step. Our coach jokes with new people - "In the next nine years you can go to UBC and be a brain surgeon or you can come here and get your black belt."

                        You have to remember as well that 1st degree black belt is considered your undergrad work. You are considered to have built a repetoire and are now beginning to gain an understanding. Sho-dan literally means 'first step.'
                        Last edited by Duncan; 11 Aug 11, 16:33.
                        AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                        The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Must be time for another video. hehe

                          AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                          The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                            I'll bet every last Canadian dollar that this old woman could beat the crap out of Crash everyday of the week as long as it is not during Early-Bird Special hours.





























                            Just busting your chaps, Crash................
                            ROFL

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Duncan View Post
                              Grading is based on corporal ability, technical ability and maturity. Technical requirements up to brown belt are determined by the club. The national board sets the minimum age for brown belt at 15 I think. Here is my club's brown belt exam -
                              http://www.pocojudo.com/docs/grading...ading_1kyu.pdf

                              Black belt grading standards and promotions are decided by the national board who defer to the provincial board for examination and review their recomendations. You require a certain number of points before being invited a provincial clinic and/or grading and your resume is reviewed by the national board. Here is the national grading syllabus for Canada -
                              http://www.judocanada.org/doc/Gradin...abus_EN_v4.pdf

                              For black belts under 21 there is a competition requirement. Many clubs also have this for their coloured belts. Us old folks are excused from competition but must still get a certain percentage of our points from technical aspects such as coaching, ref'ing, workshops, etc...

                              Going from brown to black is something of a commitment and it's sometimes said that every day is a grading day. For example, when I ref a tournament we do half hour rotations. There is a head table at every mat where the refs are watched from. Every half hour someone from the head table calls your group of three aside and reviews your performance. If someone from the head table stands up walks to the matt edge in the middle of a fight everyone moves away because that is the signal that a ref is being called in early for a 'discussion.' When you go to a workshop, wether it's coaching, ref'ing, kata, whatever there are members of the grading board present and 'getting to know you.' In order to get my 30 non-technical points I'm required to get in 120 hours a year of judo. To get 5 technical points as an assistant coach I'm required to be certified by the national coaching program, coach 100 hours a year and adhere to their new continuing competancy requirements. Kids in their 20s who compete a lot (and win) can go from brown to black in a year or two. Us old folks can take four+ and some people never take that extra step. Our coach jokes with new people - "In the next nine years you can go to UBC and be a brain surgeon or you can come here and get your black belt."

                              You have to remember as well that 1st degree black belt is considered your undergrad work. You are considered to have built a repetoire and are now beginning to gain an understanding. Sho-dan literally means 'first step.'
                              Thanks!
                              A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X