Laser Tag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laser Tag

This may be off topic and if it is I apologize, but where would you put laser tag in this. There is a military park near my town, that offers outdoor laser tag. Just wondering if any of you have been involved with this.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
    John Adams, 1770

I haven't played laser tag personally but I have friends that have and they say it is a blast! I want to try it sometime, but trying to find the time to get some friends together and play is rather hard.
    In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes
    - Benjamin Franklin, U.S. statesman, author, and scientist

Comment

All my friends that used to play with paintball guns are now into laser tag.

All of my experience with laser tag has been at indoor facilities. I would much prefer an outdoor facility.

Here's a good tip...do not wear white or bright colors!
      "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

There's a chain of such places in the UK: I don't remember the name though.
        Silent Hunter UK
        Member of Phoenix Roleplaying

Personal Blog

Comment

I've only played it indoors. Great fun!

Comment

yeah i've never played it outside, but inside was fun. felt more like a video game because paintball makes you wait till the next game, and laser tag lets you respawn

Comment

It hurst a lot less than Paintball. True Story: Three years ago a group of guys at the mine I work at played Paintball, and a couple of the bosses got caned, brusies all round. The next year thee same group played Laser tag........
              One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions - Admiral Grace Hopper

"The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity."
              Wu Cheng'en Monkey

Comment

There is a small but good group of UK lazertaggers - they do skirmishes but in general play larp scenarios often with a science fiction connection, both indoors and outdoors.

It's on meetup.com and is called the The UK Science Fiction Live Action Role Playing Meetup. I can't post links 'cos I'm too much of a newbie :-( but I can recommend lazertag. People who've played both say lazertag is fairer because rich gits can't buy the best weapon and unlimited ammo.

I might add I have only played with them about three times, but it was absolutely brilliant. I played skirmishes outdoors in the woods, which gave me a much greater understanding of cover and concealment, and how the human voice carries, which you cannot get from tabletop or computer gaming. Not to mention how easy it is to get your head blown off in CQB.

I also played 2 SF scenarios, one in Fort Widley - it's a Naploeonic fort near Southampton with underground tunnels; paintball is also played there. If you get a chance to play there at night in darkness - go! - you will have an adrenalin rush like nothing you've felt when you go creeping about knowing that aliens and zombies are waiting in the darkness to attack you!!!

[If it is a scenario players have to do their turn as monsters - called "monstering" and it is great fun. I was given a halloween monster mask and instructed on my predatory-type behavior, and then let loose on my "territory". I leapt out on about three players hiding in an alcove and scared the sh*t out of them. They forgot to shoot me, they were so petrified. And I got to go down the pub with them afterwards, so there were no hard feelings.]

Lazertag is also far cheaper than paintball once you have the kit and you don't have to wash paint out of everything.
                Last edited by oldgrognard; 03 Jul 11, 08:47.

Comment

Here's the site oldgrognard mentioned
                  Silent Hunter UK
                  Member of Phoenix Roleplaying

Personal Blog

Comment

Thanks to Silent Hunter for posting that link. I have never been there but the rare games played in Kelvdon Hatch Nuclear Bunker have attained legendary status amongst the gamers. It's very expensive to hire so despite the sinister atmosphere we can't use it too often; that said everyone pulls out all the stops to have a great game: I was told that some of the group built 2 daleks in complete secrecy and then when the gamers ventured into the lower level they were ambushed by daleks going "Exterminate!".

Comment

More pictures

Here are some pictures from my lazertagging adventures.

Old Grog, the space Colony Militia's newest, and some would say most useless, rookie. Note sensors on hat, and borrowed Pulse Rifle: there are many like it but this one is mine...

The rest of the dogforsaken colony world's militia, an elite force so tough that one of them could accidentally shoot up a tree and get wounded when the gun's IR beam ricocheted and hit her sensor. The Space Marines didn't let us forget it: "Wow, the Colony Militia, they're so hard they could lose a firefight with an unarmed tree! No alien's ever going to invade here." [Actually that last bit isn't true, aliens invaded using mind control shortly after. So we all went around shooting each other. C'est la vie]

A sinister bunch of Galactic Special Forces in Fort Widley. Note matching uniforms and futuristic weapons [believe they are modded from replica Israeli weapons, but I might be wrong].

Actually, looking through, I have a whole lot of pix from Fort Widley, if you would like me to post them; I'd need to reduce them to web size, and I don't want to do this unless anybody is interested.

Comment

Going to a laser tag place and playing is a cheaper then playing paintball when you Include marker, balls, air, accessories, if you live in the cities then getting a pass at a local paintball place. I stopped playing paintball for those reasons....I just can't afford it anymore.
                        Operation Iraqi Freedom 09-10

Comment

I agree with North Country Ram. Most of the lasertag groups I know are happy to lend you guns and sensors until you want to join; the paintball stuff seems a lot more commercial and costs a lot more, especially in consumables. You can still find secondhand lazertag guns on ebay for not very much. The UK groups also seem much more oriented to SF roleplaying, in addition to combat, so if you don't feel like being a grunt, you can be a space colonist, techie, or medic or possibly some sort of weird alien.

I don't know if there are any commercial lasertag enterprises in the UK any more, most of them seem to have closed down.

Comment

I am glad that so many of you have responded. I am living and working in China, and we go to this place that lets us play all day outside for about 12 dollars usd. They supply camo the weapons as well as about 12 battle fields. It has really been a lot of fun. For those of you who have participated do you have any suggestions for tactics that would differ from paintball?
                            "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
                            John Adams, 1770

Comment

There's a couple of good places here in Vermont that have outdoor laser tag. I agree whole heartedly about the expense of paintball vs laser tag. The one closest to my house has decent sized open area to maneuver through then a nice MOUT area with half a dozen buildings to clear. All of the gear and an hour for about 24 bucks. Each set is has a code so you get a print out After Action Review when your done, It's great fun.
                              There's No Such Thing As "Only A Simulation"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X