Wing Chun vs Krav Maga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Catman View Post
    Not in America. You are allowed to defend yourself here. If you take Martial Arts and use it as a bully, you may find yourself in trouble with the law.
    Catman is correct.

I'm not an expert, but in general you're allowed to match force.

So if a guy punches you in a bar you can punch back. But if you pick up a chair, you've escalated and then potentially become liable. If he picks up a chair first, you're allowed to match.

Exceptions exist. If you feel threatened enough that you needed to escalate (maybe you suspect he's got a knife and will pull it) then you might be OK, though you're going to have some explaining to do to convince folks you were in the right.

One of the first lessons I learned in blocking a punch? Not to be there.

Walking away is usually the wisest course of action. We study for the possibility we may not have that option.
    RPG Wisdom: There is nothing more exhilarating than having an opponent roll to hit without result.

Warhammer 40K Wisdom: Heresy grows from buggy servers.

Try to learn the difference between prudence and paranoia.

Comment

Originally posted by LongBlade View Post
      Catman is correct.

So if a guy punches you in a bar you can punch back. But if you pick up a chair, you've escalated and then potentially become liable. If he picks up a chair first, you're allowed to match.

Exceptions exist. If you feel threatened enough that you needed to escalate (maybe you suspect he's got a knife and will pull it) then you might be OK, though you're going to have some explaining to do to convince folks you were in the right.

Walking away is usually the wisest course of action. We study for the possibility we may not have that option.
      another way to help avoid legal trouble is be the one to call the police. even if someone else in the area already has, call any way.

but i've decided if it ever comes down to it, i'll find the quickest way to end it, and worry about if i'll have to explain myself or not later.

besides in my experience people start fights for 2 reasons.
      1. they're drunk
      2. they believe they have some sort of advantage, be it size, a weapon, or friends.

in either case i can justify hitting them with a brick.
      Last edited by General_Jacke; 16 Mar 11, 18:26.
      the answer is on the floor- john roseberry

A tiger dies and leaves his fur,
      A man dies and leaves his name,
      A teacher dies and teaches death.
      Seikchi Toguchi 1917-1998

Comment

Originally posted by LongBlade View Post
        Catman is correct.

I don't know about laws over there, but over here, if you employ deadly force, you had better be in a situation where you fear for your life or someone else's. Employing deadly force doesn't necessarily mean actually killing someone. Pulling a knife in self-defence can be considered deadly force. So is whacking someone in the back of the neck with a frying pan (NOT kidding).

Comment

Originally posted by Ogukuo72 View Post
          I don't know about laws over there, but over here, if you employ deadly force, you had better be in a situation where you fear for your life or someone else's. Employing deadly force doesn't necessarily mean actually killing someone. Pulling a knife in self-defence can be considered deadly force. So is whacking someone in the back of the neck with a frying pan (NOT kidding).
          That just sucks, your laws almost require you to be a victim.
          "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
          Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Major Sennef View Post
            You may want to learn some more considered opinions on which martial art style to chose
            from discussions on the same subject we had earlier at ACG here
            That link didn't work for me, but here's the thread mentioned:
            http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...ad.php?t=45303
            Battles are dangerous affairs... Wang Hsi

Comment

Originally posted by Ogukuo72 View Post
              some one attacks me, i automatically assume it's to take my life. only reasonably safe assumption you can make when some one is trying to hurt you.
              the answer is on the floor- john roseberry

A tiger dies and leaves his fur,
              A man dies and leaves his name,
              A teacher dies and teaches death.
              Seikchi Toguchi 1917-1998

Comment

Try each one for a few months.
                Avoid 'this style is better than that style' debates. Choose the one that you enjoy most and will practice for a lifetime.
                Don't view them as exclusive. If you train wisely and consistantly, keep in mind recovery time as you age, you can succeed in both.
                Last edited by Duncan; 22 Mar 11, 16:15.
                AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan View Post
                  Try each one for a few months.
                  Avoid 'this style is better than that style' debates. Choose the one that you enjoy most and will practice for a lifetime.
                  Don't view them as exclusive. If you train wisely and consistantly, keep in mind recovery time as you age, you can succeed in both.
                  Exactly right.

Comment

Originally posted by Erich Franz View Post
                    I've decided to start taking martial arts, but I still haven't decided which I want to take. I've narrowed it down to Wing Chun and Krav Maga. Though I will still consider other options.

I want to train in a martial art that is effective in real fight scenarios. I am not at all interested in the philosophical or religious aspect of MA. I want to become powerful and deadly and to be able to defend myself if I ever needed to.

Most MA seem to be sport rather then real life fighting. Most of the fancy moves you learn can only be used in ideal situations that would never surface in real life. I took taekwondo for a brief time when I was in middle school and it was basically kiddie stuff. Most of the people in the class were out of shape adolescents who were addicted to manga and anime. I know people who have been taking taekwondo and other forms of MA for years and they would still lose to almost anyone if they got in a fight.

A lot of people have said that boxing is the most useful for real fight scenarios, because it is raw fighting. But I don't think I'm ready for boxing. I haven't exercised in months and I'm pretty weak. I want to start by taking a MA where the students are closer to my level and then consider moving on to a more advanced MA once I get in better shape.

Tl;dr - I need help deciding which MA to take. I want to do the one that is most effective in real life fight scenarios.
                    First and formost question: Are you willing to suffer pain? Second: Do you want to come out on top? I did full contact Tae Kwon Do for many years, but the school did not limit itself to "pure Tae Kwon Do". We did practice
                    sparring, engaging dissimilar martial arts. As for Tae Kwon Do being kiddie stuff. Yes I have seen "schools" that were effectively playgroup style. The guys running them were more interested in keeping parent/customers to fork out money to entertain their offspring. Forget fancy moves in reality it will end up very fast and basic. As with regards to the discipline to choose, just read on and take aboard the good pointers offered. Unless you are build like a brick s**t house. Don't join a "school" were you end up as warming up "dead meat" for the resident gorilla. You will be put off in no time and take up running instead (the second of the two Fs in fight or flee).

Ed.
                    The repetition of affirmations leads to belief. Once that belief becomes a deep conviction, you better wake up and look at the facts.

Comment

wing chun vrs krav maga

I've studied Wing Chun for 4 years now. it's extremely effective standing but let's face it now adays people aren't going to let you get up if you go down. your not going to be testing whos the better fighter and if you are the other is probably going to be trained in ground. jujitsu is very popular. Wing chun is extremely good stranding up, Simultaneously block strike and kick. and it's punches are fast and the power behind them is destructive. Wing chun is a soft style even though most don't understand this. we use strikes like soft palms, it feels like your being Guerrilla slapped on the outside but the shock wraps around your lungs and heart. it makes you light headed and feels like you can't catch your breath. my fiance had to hold me up pretty much as soon as my sifu preformed it. after we started learning it. breaking bricks by remaining relaxed so that the force is transferred into the brick and it shatters. the main thing in wing chun is to stay relaxed.
                      the good thing is wing chun generally takestrel between 5 to 15 years to learn. depending on you. if you can find someone who can teach you everyday them it should go much faster but not many people can do that.
                      I've studied Tae Kwon do, jujitsu, marine hand to hand, MMA, Tai Chi chuan Chen and yang style and lastly wing chun, I've learned far more and gotten much further from wing chuns no bs style. but it does have its falts, especially ground. there idea is not to let someone get you they're. but I can look up mma Vrs wing chun and see am undefeated master of wing chun get taken down and beaten in less than a minute, so even the best master can be brought to the ground. so my next style is going to be krav maga and escrima. if you look up the best martial arts you'll see to Web sites. the top ten most effective and top 6

these to websites show that krav maga is number one in effectiveNess cause everyone can learn it and learn it fast. and it incorporates parts of wing chun. and other arts so I should pick it up rather quickly.

Comment

Well, if you read my rather laborious post on a previous page, you'll note that I don't care what the style is so long as it works. I might have done a couple of WWE-style moves before when racking up drunks at the jail.....it worked....ugly as hell!....but it worked. One thing I personally like about wing chun is that it doesn't overemphasize the punch. I did boxing training to build up my hands for striking power and speed. But I don't train to box in real life. It can be very effective, but I like my metacarpals and phalanges to stay right where they are. People go to throwing haymakers at the face with no gloves on, and they risk breaking their hands on the skull....which is more likely to be hit than the nose or the perfect spot on the jaw. A palm-heel strike (thrown straight, or jabbed) is probably more likely to contact the nose (since the entire palm is available) and it's very unlikely that you'll hurt your hand.
                        Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X