Anti Terrorist Martial Arts-Savate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti Terrorist Martial Arts-Savate

In a new series of posting I will be posting information about the various martial arts used by the various anti terrorist police forces. In this episode, Savate is the martial art.

In this video of the History Channel TV Series Human Weapon, during one scene the hosts meets the French antiterrorist force RAID.They go into a short sparing session(skip to 3:08 to go to the part where they go to a RAID training center and spare in Savate with RAID members).

As this video shows, Savate is the official martial art of RAID. Savate, also known as Boxe Francaise in France, is a no-nonsense martial art in which kicks are combined with Boxing Punches and Street Fighting techniques like headbuts are employed. Savate's kicks are designed to use hard footwear such as boots or hard shoes to maximum efficiency. Basically with the martial art of Savate you use techniques that uses the hard part of a sturdy shoes such as the hard tip or heels to hurt your opponenet as much as possible and knock them out unconcious or kill them.

Many of RAID's members are masters of Savate and were former National Savate champions. In RAID training sparring in Savate is one of the main things done in training and we are talking about Street Fighting Savate not Boxe Francaise the sport variation. Thus even recruitees who never heard of Savate(its a niche sport in France with only a very small number of followers) become very proficient in Savate, enough to kill terrorists in case close quarter combat occurs.

Martial arts are a good form of exercise, and occasionally do come in handy for self protection. But killing someone? That's actually a lot harder than it sounds with your hands/feet and only a master who has spent years doing it can come close to what is depicted on action movies. Especially when the other person is aware of you and putting up a battle.

The best thing you can do is to have situational awareness and pay attention to what that nagging voice in the back of your brain is saying.

Few police/military have the time to become truly proficient in any of the martial arts. Thus, taser weapons, batons and of course guns.
    "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

Originally posted by trailboss49 View Post
      Martial arts are a good form of exercise, and occasionally do come in handy for self protection. But killing someone? That's actually a lot harder than it sounds with your hands/feet and only a master who has spent years doing it can come close to what is depicted on action movies. Especially when the other person is aware of you and putting up a battle.

The best thing you can do is to have situational awareness and pay attention to what that nagging voice in the back of your brain is saying.

Few police/military have the time to become truly proficient in any of the martial arts. Thus, taser weapons, batons and of course guns.
      Definitely agree with you that few police/military truly become masters any of the martial arts.

However apparently many of these RAID guys were either former champions of Savate or are of master ranks in Savate. In France often the ideal hero is a master of Savate.

Anyway I know what you are saying of how its hard to kill using feet and hands. However Savate kicks are a different story. Being designed to be used with hard footwear such as steel toed booths, Savate is one of the best martial arts for police/military personnel as booths are standard to be worn during duty. Which is why Savate is considered one of the most practical martial art. You learn the basic techniques and so long as you have a hard footwear you could blow huge damage on someone using kicks without even having to condition yourself daily as Savate kicks use the hardness of the shoe to hurt your opponents. You won't have to kick trees or break bricks with your hands or other of those faily full day training needed in order to have efficiency in a fight . Your shoe does all the damage for you.

BTW did you know the US Army taught Savate back then up until the end of WW2?!In fact old US Army hand to hand combat manual showed how to execute Savate kicks and Savate punch-kick combos.
      Here is a link and a photo.

http://www.urbancombatives.com/Ap2007ws.htm
      Chasse Lateral to Lower Leg

Kicking down oppenent
      [/QUOTE]

What martial arts style do you practice?

Comment

I practice Combatives and 3 shots to Center Mass. Guess which has proven more lethal against terrorists?

I'm curious as to how you came to your opinion that Savate is among the most practical Anti Terror Martial Arts.

Comment

Originally posted by Naffenea View Post
          I practice Combatives and 3 shots to Center Mass. Guess which has proven more lethal against terrorists?

I'm curious as to how you came to your opinion that Savate is among the most practical Anti Terror Martial Arts.
          Simply because the heavy military booths perfectly suit the way Savate kicks are used. Besides when RAID, the French Foreign Legion, and other military and police forces in France use Savate in hand to hand combat, they use the practical techniques such as low kicks to the legs or quick punches to the throat(see video posted above). The higher kicks and such are used in Boxe Francaise, the sport variation of Savate.

As for your question, obviously 3 shorts are more lethal against terrorists. Common sense shows RAID, GIGN, and France's other military and police forces would shoot first and only use Savate when somehow enemies get close to a and attempts to conduct melee with RAID or other such operatives and there is not enough time to shoot back. Basically for those isolated wierd cases where somehow a melee occurs rather than a gunfight.

Comment

Originally posted by SegaSaturnGamer View Post
            However apparently many of these RAID guys were either former champions of Savate or are of master ranks in Savate. In France often the ideal hero is a master of Savate.
            That wasn't said in that program. I'd like to see where you get that infor to make that claim.

Anyway I know what you are saying of how its hard to kill using feet and hands. However Savate kicks are a different story. Being designed to be used with hard footwear such as steel toed booths, Savate is one of the best martial arts for police/military personnel as booths are standard to be worn during duty. Which is why Savate is considered one of the most practical martial art.
            Considered by whom? You? Why is Savate better than kickboxing or Muay Thai, or Kyukoshin or MMA? Also, the word is BOOTS, not booths. You keep making that mistake over and over and over.
            You learn the basic techniques and so long as you have a hard footwear you could blow huge damage on someone using kicks without even having to condition yourself daily as Savate kicks use the hardness of the shoe to hurt your opponents. You won't have to kick trees or break bricks with your hands or other of those faily full day training needed in order to have efficiency in a fight . Your shoe does all the damage for you.
            Are you really trying to say that kicking trees and breaking bricks are training methods? Or is your expertise in martial arts really derived from watching Van Damme movies? There is no short cut to fighting efficiency. If you want to get good in a fight in any art, you're going to take years of full speed, full contact sparring. Boots or no boots.

Comment

Anti terrorist martial arts? Seriously, that's all you could come up with to justify making "SSG martial arts thread #1397", this time in the War on Terror section

Now what, "Funny martial arts" for Barracks Humor, "Martial arts in politics" for Politics Central, "Alternate Martial arts" for Alternate History?
              Why don't you go to a true Martial Arts forum, there are millions, and let your knowledge explode into their faces, get it out of your system?

Comment

I'm working on my own system of self-defense against Islamists. It's called Pork-won-do. I will keep you updated...

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
                --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

\ Are you really trying to say that kicking trees and breaking bricks are training methods? Or is your expertise in martial arts really derived from watching Van Damme movies? There is no short cut to fighting efficiency. If you want to get good in a fight in any art, you're going to take years of full speed, full contact sparring. Boots or no boots.
                  MUAY THAI FIGHTERS PRACTICE BY KICKING TREES!God why the hell are you acting like an expert on martial arts if all you know is Combatives(which is a poorly developed form of hand to hand combat!)
                  That wasn't said in that program. I'd like to see where you get that infor to make that claim..
                  http://frenchboxing.blogspot.com/200...ster-from.html

And you obviously haven't paying attention to the documentary, Jaso stated that many RAID members were former champions of Savate.
                  Considered by whom? You? Why is Savate better than kickboxing or Muay Thai, or Kyukoshin or MMA? Also, the word is BOOTS, not booths. You keep making that mistake over and over and over.
                  If you ever took a session of Savate class or fought a Savateur you would understand. Savateurs have already been proven to be an equal match to Muay Thai fighters and have defeated TKD and Karate masters in several big matches in the past. If it was such an ineffective style then the U.S. Army been trained in it in the past.
                  http://articles.latimes.com/2006/dec...th/he-savate18
                  Last edited by SegaSaturnGamer; 16 Dec 10, 13:10.

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
                    I'm working on my own system of self-defense against Islamists. It's called Pork-won-do. I will keep you updated...
                    What's its forte?Throws, Punches, Kicks, weapons?

Comment

Which is why Savate is considered one of the most practical martial art. You learn the basic techniques and so long as you have a hard footwear you could blow huge damage on someone using kicks without even having to condition yourself daily as Savate kicks use the hardness of the shoe to hurt your opponents. You won't have to kick trees or break bricks with your hands or other of those faily full day training needed in order to have efficiency in a fight . Your shoe does all the damage for you.
                      So they just learn the techniques and then they're off throwing high-kicks while wearing hard footwear? Maybe they're not breaking bricks but I think their daily conditioning involves throwing high-kicks while wearing bricks for shoes.

Comment

MUAY THAI FIGHTERS PRACTICE BY KICKING TREES!God why the hell are you acting like an expert on martial arts if all you know is Combatives(which is a poorly developed form of hand to hand combat!)
                        No, they don't. Your understanding of Muay Thai is very tabloid even in its cinematic roots. I never said all I know is combatives either.

And you obviously haven't paying attention to the documentary, Jaso stated that many RAID members were former champions of Savate.
                        No, he didn't. He said that there are members of RAID who've done well, some at a championship level. You said most. Or shall we start quoting you word for word?

If you ever took a session of Savate class or fought a Savateur you would understand. Savateurs have already been proven to be an equal match to Muay Thai fighters and have defeated TKD and Karate masters in several big matches in the past. If it was such an ineffective style then the U.S. Army been trained in it in the past.
                        http://articles.latimes.com/2006/dec...th/he-savate18
                        I've got news for you, there's a reason why it was taught in THE PAST, and not now. As for now, could you name ONE UFC, K1, PRIDE champion? When you get a little older, you'll understand that defeating someone who has practiced TKD (lols there) or Karate (which style) really isn't a good indicator of a proven fight system. There's a reason why MMA incorporates so much from BJJ/JUDO, SAMBO, Boxing, Karate, Muay Thai, etc.

Come on young padawan, follow me over to some MA specific sites and astound everyone there with your vast experience in the martial arts.

Comment

I have trained in Ju-Jitsu, Wrestling, MMA-Style mixed stand-up, Tai Kwon Do, and MCMAP.

Given the options, in close combat I'll:

1) Shoot them with a Rifle before it ever gets close

2) Blast them with a shotgun at 20 yards

3) Shoot them with a pistol at 40yds-10ft

4) Bludgeon them with said shotgun

5) Use a bayonet, Shovel, pipe, dagger, knife, or baseball bat

6) Kick them

7) Pistol Whip them

8) Grapple

Notice any sort of pattern here? I'll give you a hint. There is a definite progression in fighting. It is, and shall nearly always be (until lightsabers are developed):

Always bring a:

Knife to a fistfight, a pistol to a knifefight, and a rifle to a pistolfight.....if there's a riflefight, bring lots of friends with rifles.

You don't win by fighting fair, and you certainly don't win by trying to imitate Steven Segall or Chuck Norris. Want a movie that has realistic fight scenes in it? Pick the nastiest close in fight scenes....the ones where they guys with bayonets are killing dudes in their beds and shooting the ones coming out of the kitchen with pots and pans. That's a realistic close-in fight.
                          Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

You missed one step.

If pistol whipping fails (or if you don't have a pistol), 'hand-bag' him! (Like that lady in the recent Florida school board shooting.)

Comment

No such thing.

SSG - It's either a martial art or it isn't. How it is used in practice and by whom, are entirely separate matters. Under some circumstances, nuclear weapons could conceivably be used in an "Anti-Terrorism" role.
                              Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X