Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mixed Martial Arts - U.F.C., Pride fighting, ect.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul Mann III
    replied
    Free UFC tonight on SPIKE

Originally posted by Pilsudski View Post

I don't see why one has to love MMA or Boxing, I happen to like both.
    Me too. Both are on tonight, and I'll be flipping back and forth.

Just a note to the West Coastian members who wanna see some free fights...

SPIKE TV is running the season finale of The Ultimate Fighter tonight at 9 p.m. Pacific.

And our Oregon representative, Jonathan Brookins (out of Portland), is gonna be fighting for the Westside tonight. He's humble, talented, and tough. He's got a real shot at victory.

Only trouble is that he's a small lightweight (he can fight featherweight), and he's up against a big dude who could fight at welterweight from the looks of him. Brookins is gonna have to work.

I'll be raising glasses to him for good luck, and thought I'd share. I know there are a few of us from Oregon here, and if you're a fight fan you should wish him luck too...

Leave a comment:

• Pilsudski
    replied
    I don't see why one has to love MMA or Boxing, I happen to like both.

Leave a comment:

• Legate
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul Mann III View Post
    Fair enough, and he also had surgery on his elbow before the fight, didn't he?

Still, I was really stoked to see our Oregon boy lay a beating on the Brazilian douche.

I know Silva is a pimp, but his display of arrogance against Maia was bogus and lame, and exactly the opposite of what a martial artist should do in the spirit of competition. That's why he couldn't finish.

Only a jackass would gas-out dancing around the ring like that... Too childish for words...

Like Dana said, if you got the goods, go out there and blast 'em like Tyson. Better to have complaints for a short fight than boring or aggravating one.
    Very true. My friends and I are huge Anderson fans but that fight really pissed us off.

Originally posted by Duncan View Post
    I used to enjoy it. I prefered Pride and K1. I still occasionaly watch it at the pub to be social. However, the culture that has evolved around MMA really turns me off. I've trained with some MMA fanboys. It annoys me that they come to practice with the intention of hurting people. It annoys me that they want to play tough guy rather than put in a proper training session. It annoys me that they want to bad mouth other sports and talk about how MMA is real fighting (it isn't). It annoys me that after showing up occasionally at an MMA club for a few months they think they're tough **** and then become big mouth cry babies when they discover that perhaps someone with 10, 20, 30+ years experience and dedicates 8+ hours a week might just know what they are doing. It annoys me that they come to practice and announce, "I wanna try something I saw on UFC last week." rather than work on a long term athelete development program. I could go on and on. There was only one exception. A semi-pro MMA fighter. He was a proper training partner.
    Also very true. This is the reason I don't care for TUF show.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Mann III
    replied
    Originally posted by Duncan View Post

However, the culture that has evolved around MMA really turns me off. I've trained with some MMA fanboys. It annoys me that they come to practice with the intention of hurting people. It annoys me that they want to play tough guy rather than put in a proper training session. It annoys me that they want to bad mouth other sports and talk about how MMA is real fighting (it isn't). It annoys me that after showing up occasionally at an MMA club for a few months they think they're tough **** and then become big mouth cry babies when they discover that perhaps someone with 10, 20, 30+ years experience and dedicates 8+ hours a week might just know what they are doing. It annoys me that they come to practice and announce, "I wanna try something I saw on UFC last week." rather than work on a long term athelete development program. I could go on and on. There was only one exception. A semi-pro MMA fighter. He was a proper training partner.
    I know how you feel. I went into the gym at my college, and it was full of tribal tattoos and Chuck Liddell haircuts. Nobody in there who understood the philosophy of fighting, or even knew that there was such a thing.

I started young, and thankfully I attended some no-nonsense schools (one was in the street, for realism). I still work with a couple of guys I took classes with, we ended up taking a few different classes in the same places and gained a real respect for each other.

But I also know some guys who think that after 6 months of pumping iron and taking a community jujitsu class they can understand the mental aspect of being in a fight. Only experience can do that, whether it be in the street or in a cage or a ring.

That's why in 10 years I suspect the streets will be awash with wrinkled tribal tattoos and goofy haircuts on lamed-out wannabes who found out after one or two fights that they couldn't hack it.

Like Marcus "Big Baby" Jones. He had the body, the ability, and the desire. But he lacked a killer instinct that can only be bred under fire. That's why he lost. He was doing fine, even made the mount, but didn't have the finish (or even the attack really) in his big, kind heart.

Fighting is partly about skills and athletics, and partly about knowledge and experience. Those who have all of the above, and a kill-switch for their humanity, are the ones who should compete.

Case and point, I took it easy on a girl in my last competition. She beat up me pretty badly because of that. Never again... Haven't even stepped onto a mat in more than 10 years because of that.

I think I'm going to go back to school though. The Karate school I attended is an institution here, and they have a top-shelf boxing program as well as a fine Judo school and the Aikido school I attended. I just hope my age isn't going to run me into any walls.

Nobody wants to be the creepy old dude who signed up to wrestle with young dudes....

Leave a comment:

• Duncan
    replied
    I used to enjoy it. I prefered Pride and K1. I still occasionaly watch it at the pub to be social. However, the culture that has evolved around MMA really turns me off. I've trained with some MMA fanboys. It annoys me that they come to practice with the intention of hurting people. It annoys me that they want to play tough guy rather than put in a proper training session. It annoys me that they want to bad mouth other sports and talk about how MMA is real fighting (it isn't). It annoys me that after showing up occasionally at an MMA club for a few months they think they're tough **** and then become big mouth cry babies when they discover that perhaps someone with 10, 20, 30+ years experience and dedicates 8+ hours a week might just know what they are doing. It annoys me that they come to practice and announce, "I wanna try something I saw on UFC last week." rather than work on a long term athelete development program. I could go on and on. There was only one exception. A semi-pro MMA fighter. He was a proper training partner.
    Last edited by Duncan; 06 Nov 10, 16:42.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Mann III
    replied
    Originally posted by Legate View Post

I wouldn't read to much into Sonnen dominating Silva in their fight. Anderson should not have been in the Octagon as he had a couple busted ribs from a sparring session.
    Fair enough, and he also had surgery on his elbow before the fight, didn't he?

Still, I was really stoked to see our Oregon boy lay a beating on the Brazilian douche.

I know Silva is a pimp, but his display of arrogance against Maia was bogus and lame, and exactly the opposite of what a martial artist should do in the spirit of competition. That's why he couldn't finish.

Only a jackass would gas-out dancing around the ring like that... Too childish for words...

Like Dana said, if you got the goods, go out there and blast 'em like Tyson. Better to have complaints for a short fight than boring or aggravating one.

Leave a comment:

• Legate
    replied
    Ah I see. I'm a few episodes behind on the show.

Btw Cody I wouldn't read to much into Sonnen dominating Silva in their fight. Anderson should not have been in the Octagon as he had a couple busted ribs from a sparring session.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Mann III
    replied

What fat black medic?
    On the TV show... Koscheck was picking on GSP's medic, reminded me of that stuff in the news when the cop choked the paramedic in the road.

Originally posted by pirateship1982 View Post

That's one long eight count then. I have seen some recent fights. Every so often I get curious and watch some UFC. On the rare instances I tune it when they AREN'T rolling on the floor it gets a little interesting. But sooner or later down they go and after checking my watch several times waiting for them to get up I change the channel.
    If you aren't familiar with grappling, it can be hard to see what is going on in the way of advancing positions. It's taken my half a life of classes to see what little I see before the announcers call it out.

A little more experience with the ground aspects might make it more entertaining to you...

There's boxing and then there's wrestling and by themselves both are fine but as far as my observations go "mixed martial arts" means sucking at multiple skills.
    That's just ignorant, dude. Many of the guys at the top levels are World-class (and sometimes former world champions) in boxing, kickboxing, karate, and myriad of other traditional striking competitions.

I know how you feel, ignorance is bliss. But when a champion-level striker adds world class grappling to their fight game, it makes for a more exciting fight. Boxing is great, but it takes patience to wait that long for a knockout or a cut, those gloves are just too safe...

As far as the multiple sucking goes... You can't make it to the UFC and suck too bad, there's alot fighting the leads up to that, and it sorts out alot of losers.

Too bad it sort out James Toney... What a fool to think he could fight a Olympic-level wrestler who has trained in boxing. Fights start standing, but the tend to end on the ground, only a complete fighter can survive in MMA.

Boxing is just too one-dimensional. Too easy...
    Last edited by Paul Mann III; 05 Nov 10, 13:13.

Leave a comment:

• Pirateship1982
    replied
    And yet boxers still waste all that time grabbing each other in every round of every fight. I watch alot of boxing, bro. You know they give hugs to thugs all night long. Greasy titty rubs...

Besides, I think it's a five or an eight count before a stand up/seperation in most MMA... That's not a long time for a man humping session, you gotta work.

I suspect you're exaggerating a bit... Or you haven't actually seen any recent fights... Say in the last 10 or 12 years....
    That's one long eight count then. I have seen some recent fights. Every so often I get curious and watch some UFC. On the rare instances I tune it when they AREN'T rolling on the floor it gets a little interesting. But sooner or later down they go and after checking my watch several times waiting for them to get up I change the channel.

There's boxing and then there's wrestling and by themselves both are fine but as far as my observations go "mixed martial arts" means sucking at multiple skills.

<Dodges anticipated thrown beer bottle by Paul Mann>

Just calling it like I see it.

Leave a comment:

• Legate
    replied
    What fat black medic?

Leave a comment:

• Paul Mann III
    replied

I still maintain my dislike for the sport, if only for the fact that it is boring. In boxing, if the two boxers clinch the ref seperates them. If you get a clinch in UFC it's called grappling and nothing happens for the next five minutes. In boxing you actually have to fight your opponent.
    And yet boxers still waste all that time grabbing each other in every round of every fight. I watch alot of boxing, bro. You know they give hugs to thugs all night long. Greasy titty rubs...

Besides, I think it's a five or an eight count before a stand up/seperation in most MMA... That's not a long time for a man humping session, you gotta work.

I suspect you're exaggerating a bit... Or you haven't actually seen any recent fights... Say in the last 10 or 12 years....

In MMA if the ref feels there is no movement in the grappeling he will stand the fighters up.
    For sure. That's one change I've really enjoyed. If there is no advancement of position or striking, they have to get up.

Of course, some referees take a bit longer, and some stand them up too fast, but either way it happens. In the old days they could lay there all night. I hated that.

GSP wants no part of Anderson Silva who is rated the worlds p4p fighter for a reason. Granted Anderson has been acting like an ass for the last 18 months but it looks as if he has come back to earth.
    The only real advantage Silva has is a bigger skeletal structure. He could fight heavyweight if he wanted to I bet.

One thing is for sure... Koscheck hasn't got a prayer. He can wrestle, but his striking can't compete with GSP, and really if he goes to the ground he'll get stuffed. He's boned.

What's up with him man-handling that fat black medic though? It reminded me of the cop and the ambulance driver who had the drama. Stunt you think? Orchestrated?

Leave a comment:

• Legate
    replied
    In MMA if the ref feels there is no movement in the grappeling he will stand the fighters up.

Cody-GSP wants no part of Anderson Silva who is rated the worlds p4p fighter for a reason. Granted Anderson has been acting like an ass for the last 18 months but it looks as if he has come back to earth.

Leave a comment:

• Pirateship1982
    replied
    I still maintain my dislike for the sport, if only for the fact that it is boring. In boxing, if the two boxers clinch the ref seperates them. If you get a clinch in UFC it's called grappling and nothing happens for the next five minutes. In boxing you actually have to fight your opponent.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Mann III
    replied

Sell vs Smith was pretty awesome. You can find it on the season 4 dvds of The Ultimate Fighter.

I have the Smith vs. Sell fight on my PS3. I need to learn how to do it using my PS3, but I should be able to upload it to my You Tube account and then embed a link here. I know the function is there, I just haven't tried it before.

That raises an interesting copyright question of course... Would it be legit to post the whole fight, considering the restrictions on posting whole articles and such?

Greatest fight in UFC is Forrest Griffin vs Stephan Bonner I. This was TUF season 1 finale. This is the fight that is credited with bringing MMA into the mainsteam.
    Certainly the most important fight in terms of the popularization of the sport, but not the greatest, in my opinion. I'd put it in the top five or ten though...

Mir vs. Nogueira was pretty dynamite... And the first Penn vs. Edgar had my whole house shaking, full standing ovation from the crowd at the end of every round.

We thought Sonnen had Silva dead to rights too, but that bastard pulled it out... I hate Anderson Silva...

Originally posted by The Ibis View Post

Royce is who peaked my interest in MMA. As for what is the best fight, of course its all a matter of opinion. Unlike boxing, where everyone knows the best fights were the Gatti v. Ward trilogy.
    Yeah, alot of people thought Royce was awesome, me too... Taking on huge dudes and all that. But for me, it was Couture who really got me into it.

Gatti vs.Ward? Hell yeah... I've liked boxing alot longer than MMA, but I wanted more bloodshed, and those little glove do the trick. I bought a pair, they ain't made of nuthin'...

Originally posted by The Ibis View Post

I like Hughes's fights too. What do you think of Georges St-Pierre?
    GSP is a super athlete for sure. I hated on him when I started watching, but I recognized his superior skills, and from what I've read his work ethic is tireless. I hope he kills Anderson Silva some day...

Leave a comment:

• The Ibis
    replied
    I dunno... Royce was the man for a while... But I've seen better fights since I started watching closely.
    Royce is who peaked my interest in MMA. As for what is the best fight, of course its all a matter of opinion. Unlike boxing, where everyone knows the best fights were the Gatti v. Ward trilogy.

It was funny to watch Matt Hughes whup the family's ass... I like to watch wrestling versus the Jits... America versus foreigner-fighting.
    I like Hughes's fights too. What do you think of Georges St-Pierre?

How about Sell vs. Smith... Not the best fight, but certainly the coolest finish I've ever seen...

And that was after a pretty great fight, too. They went full-blast the whole time...
    Didn't see the whole thing, but the finish is a good one.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X