Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mixed Martial Arts - U.F.C., Pride fighting, ect.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legate
    replied
    Sell vs Smith was pretty awesome. You can find it on the season 4 dvds of The Ultimate Fighter.

Greatest fight in UFC is Forrest Griffin vs Stephan Bonner I. This was TUF season 1 finale. This is the fight that is credited with bringing MMA into the mainsteam.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Mann III
    replied
    I dunno... Royce was the man for a while... But I've seen better fights since I started watching closely.

It was funny to watch Matt Hughes whup the family's ass... I like to watch wrestling versus the Jits... America versus foreigner-fighting.

How about Sell vs. Smith... Not the best fight, but certainly the coolest finish I've ever seen...

And that was after a pretty great fight, too. They went full-blast the whole time...

I couldn't find the whole fight, but it only costs two or three bucks at Playstation Store.

Leave a comment:

• The Ibis
    replied
    Best match ever Sakuraba-Gracie I

Leave a comment:

• Paul Mann III
    replied
    James Toney was acting like a fool... Randy gave him what he deserved...

Leave a comment:

• Paul Mann III
    replied
    Yeah, no more cracks about man humping...

I figured that UFC owned WEC, but I didn't know they bought Pride. Makes sense though with all the reruns on Spike.

I always saw WEC as the minor league MMA, but also the mini-MMA (someof them are tiny).

I like the heavyweights. It's more exciting because you don't have long reigns at the top, no GSP or Anderson Silva-type runs, a chance to lose in every fight.

But I watcg the middleweight-welterweights pretty close because that's my size, and I like to see what's practical for my height/reach.

Hard to believe it took so long to get into it. I started with Karate in '92 and moved to Kung Fu in '95 and Aikido in '96, but I didn't but MMA gloves until last year.

And now I have 30 gigs of fights on my PS3 and a whole shelf of the DVDs.

Dana is a genius. He sold me what I refused to buy. Damn...

Leave a comment:

• Legate
    replied
    So you take all the gay jokes back that you made about the sport?

A few corrections are necessary concerning your post:

Pride Fighting Championships no longer exists. It was bought by UFC and was disolved a few years ago.

UFC has owned WEC for afew years now. They only just decided to merge the two operations.

Now as for the best weight class,it has to be Lightweight (155 lbs).

This is the most stacked division not only in UFC but throughout MMA.

A partial list of top lightweights;

Frankie Edgar-UFC
    BJ Penn-UFC
    Shinya Aoki-Dream(Japan)
    Eddie Alvarez-Bellator
    Gilbert Melendez-Strikeforce

Glad to have another fan of MMA around!!

Leave a comment:

• Mixed Martial Arts - U.F.C., Pride fighting, ect.

Flyweight (less than 125 lbs.)
    0.00%
    Bantanweight (126-135 lbs.)
    0.00%
    Featherweight (136-145 lbs.)
    0.00%
    Lightweight (146-155 lbs.)
    16.67%
    Welterweight (156-170 lbs.)
    16.67%
    Middleweight (171-185 lbs.)
    25.00%
    Light Heavyweight (186-205 lbs.)
    8.33%
    Heavyweight (206-265 lbs.)
    25.00%
    Super Heavyweight (more than 265 lbs.)
    8.33%
    Women's Competitions - Check weight class(es) in addition
    0.00%
    First off, I have to eat my hat for telling Duncan that UFC sucks a few years ago...

So I'm a victim of the recent marketing campaign for UFC and their products. I used to loathe MMA, but it has grown on me during the past three years. As a student of a few martial arts myself, I guess the interest was always there, but the revamped version of UFC that has developed has really grabbed me.

I'm curious where the other members stand on the sport. It comes in many forms, Sportd fight, Bellator, Strike Force, K-1, and so on, but UFC and Pride are the frontline that most are exposed to.

In particular, I'm curious what fighters the other members are watching... I'm a Randy Couture fan myself, I own most of his fights. He's true Northwest, like me, and a veteran as well as an Olympic-class athlete, but most important, he's older than dirt and he's still beating people up.

His fight with Lesner, while a loss, was a tribute to the fighting spirit of America, taking on a bigger, stronger, faster opponent and fighting to the bitter end. And his recent smackdown on boxing legend James Toney proved that you have to be a well-rounded fighter to compete in the UFC of today.

In short, UFC has come a long way since pulling hair was legal, since there were no weight classes, since shoes were legal... hell, since the decided to have rounds instead of just running a clock for our edification.\

Now that UFC has bought the WEC, it seems that Dana White will be the most powerful name in fight promoting, so I guess I'll be the one to raise the topic here at ACG...
    Last edited by Paul Mann III; 01 Nov 10, 22:12.

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Karri
    Prawn heads
    by Karri
    How do you cook them? How do you eat them?

So far I've always just twisted them off, and discarded it along with the shells and such, only...
    Yesterday, 11:40
  • Jose50
    Thoughts on the US abandoning NATO
    by Jose50
    Now may be a good time for the NATO countries to start beefing up their materiel, personnel and alliances. There is a decided wave here in the US that...
    Yesterday, 08:41
  • Von Richter
    Sagittarius Rising...
    by Von Richter
    Just having a re-read of this book after it's stood for donkey's years on the bookshelf. Once again, within the first couple of pages, I'm transported...
    Yesterday, 01:19
Working...
X