Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mixed Martial Arts - U.F.C., Pride fighting, ect.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah I see. I'm a few episodes behind on the show.

Btw Cody I wouldn't read to much into Sonnen dominating Silva in their fight. Anderson should not have been in the Octagon as he had a couple busted ribs from a sparring session.
    If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by Legate View Post

I wouldn't read to much into Sonnen dominating Silva in their fight. Anderson should not have been in the Octagon as he had a couple busted ribs from a sparring session.
      Fair enough, and he also had surgery on his elbow before the fight, didn't he?

Still, I was really stoked to see our Oregon boy lay a beating on the Brazilian douche.

I know Silva is a pimp, but his display of arrogance against Maia was bogus and lame, and exactly the opposite of what a martial artist should do in the spirit of competition. That's why he couldn't finish.

Only a jackass would gas-out dancing around the ring like that... Too childish for words...

Like Dana said, if you got the goods, go out there and blast 'em like Tyson. Better to have complaints for a short fight than boring or aggravating one.
      "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

I used to enjoy it. I prefered Pride and K1. I still occasionaly watch it at the pub to be social. However, the culture that has evolved around MMA really turns me off. I've trained with some MMA fanboys. It annoys me that they come to practice with the intention of hurting people. It annoys me that they want to play tough guy rather than put in a proper training session. It annoys me that they want to bad mouth other sports and talk about how MMA is real fighting (it isn't). It annoys me that after showing up occasionally at an MMA club for a few months they think they're tough **** and then become big mouth cry babies when they discover that perhaps someone with 10, 20, 30+ years experience and dedicates 8+ hours a week might just know what they are doing. It annoys me that they come to practice and announce, "I wanna try something I saw on UFC last week." rather than work on a long term athelete development program. I could go on and on. There was only one exception. A semi-pro MMA fighter. He was a proper training partner.
        Last edited by Duncan; 06 Nov 10, 16:42.
        AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
        The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan View Post

However, the culture that has evolved around MMA really turns me off. I've trained with some MMA fanboys. It annoys me that they come to practice with the intention of hurting people. It annoys me that they want to play tough guy rather than put in a proper training session. It annoys me that they want to bad mouth other sports and talk about how MMA is real fighting (it isn't). It annoys me that after showing up occasionally at an MMA club for a few months they think they're tough **** and then become big mouth cry babies when they discover that perhaps someone with 10, 20, 30+ years experience and dedicates 8+ hours a week might just know what they are doing. It annoys me that they come to practice and announce, "I wanna try something I saw on UFC last week." rather than work on a long term athelete development program. I could go on and on. There was only one exception. A semi-pro MMA fighter. He was a proper training partner.
          I know how you feel. I went into the gym at my college, and it was full of tribal tattoos and Chuck Liddell haircuts. Nobody in there who understood the philosophy of fighting, or even knew that there was such a thing.

I started young, and thankfully I attended some no-nonsense schools (one was in the street, for realism). I still work with a couple of guys I took classes with, we ended up taking a few different classes in the same places and gained a real respect for each other.

But I also know some guys who think that after 6 months of pumping iron and taking a community jujitsu class they can understand the mental aspect of being in a fight. Only experience can do that, whether it be in the street or in a cage or a ring.

That's why in 10 years I suspect the streets will be awash with wrinkled tribal tattoos and goofy haircuts on lamed-out wannabes who found out after one or two fights that they couldn't hack it.

Like Marcus "Big Baby" Jones. He had the body, the ability, and the desire. But he lacked a killer instinct that can only be bred under fire. That's why he lost. He was doing fine, even made the mount, but didn't have the finish (or even the attack really) in his big, kind heart.

Fighting is partly about skills and athletics, and partly about knowledge and experience. Those who have all of the above, and a kill-switch for their humanity, are the ones who should compete.

Case and point, I took it easy on a girl in my last competition. She beat up me pretty badly because of that. Never again... Haven't even stepped onto a mat in more than 10 years because of that.

I think I'm going to go back to school though. The Karate school I attended is an institution here, and they have a top-shelf boxing program as well as a fine Judo school and the Aikido school I attended. I just hope my age isn't going to run me into any walls.

Nobody wants to be the creepy old dude who signed up to wrestle with young dudes....
          "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Mann III View Post
            Fair enough, and he also had surgery on his elbow before the fight, didn't he?

Still, I was really stoked to see our Oregon boy lay a beating on the Brazilian douche.

I know Silva is a pimp, but his display of arrogance against Maia was bogus and lame, and exactly the opposite of what a martial artist should do in the spirit of competition. That's why he couldn't finish.

Only a jackass would gas-out dancing around the ring like that... Too childish for words...

Like Dana said, if you got the goods, go out there and blast 'em like Tyson. Better to have complaints for a short fight than boring or aggravating one.
            Very true. My friends and I are huge Anderson fans but that fight really pissed us off.

Originally posted by Duncan View Post
            I used to enjoy it. I prefered Pride and K1. I still occasionaly watch it at the pub to be social. However, the culture that has evolved around MMA really turns me off. I've trained with some MMA fanboys. It annoys me that they come to practice with the intention of hurting people. It annoys me that they want to play tough guy rather than put in a proper training session. It annoys me that they want to bad mouth other sports and talk about how MMA is real fighting (it isn't). It annoys me that after showing up occasionally at an MMA club for a few months they think they're tough **** and then become big mouth cry babies when they discover that perhaps someone with 10, 20, 30+ years experience and dedicates 8+ hours a week might just know what they are doing. It annoys me that they come to practice and announce, "I wanna try something I saw on UFC last week." rather than work on a long term athelete development program. I could go on and on. There was only one exception. A semi-pro MMA fighter. He was a proper training partner.
            Also very true. This is the reason I don't care for TUF show.
            If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

I don't see why one has to love MMA or Boxing, I happen to like both.
              "To be defeated and not submit, is victory; to be victorious and rest on one's laurels, is defeat."
              --Marshal Jůzef Piłsudski

Comment

Free UFC tonight on SPIKE

Originally posted by Pilsudski View Post

I don't see why one has to love MMA or Boxing, I happen to like both.
                Me too. Both are on tonight, and I'll be flipping back and forth.

Just a note to the West Coastian members who wanna see some free fights...

SPIKE TV is running the season finale of The Ultimate Fighter tonight at 9 p.m. Pacific.

And our Oregon representative, Jonathan Brookins (out of Portland), is gonna be fighting for the Westside tonight. He's humble, talented, and tough. He's got a real shot at victory.

Only trouble is that he's a small lightweight (he can fight featherweight), and he's up against a big dude who could fight at welterweight from the looks of him. Brookins is gonna have to work.

I'll be raising glasses to him for good luck, and thought I'd share. I know there are a few of us from Oregon here, and if you're a fight fan you should wish him luck too...

BoRG

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X