Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roger Lafond, French soldier who is grandmaster of Savate and saved Savate from dying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roger Lafond, French soldier who is grandmaster of Savate and saved Savate from dying

Although we generally think of martial arts as an Asian only phenomenon, every country had its own special martial art and France is no exception with its martial art style savate. The most famous currently living figure of Savate is Professeur Roger Lafond, a veteran of World War 2 and a survivor of German concentration camps.

Professeur Roger Lafond is The living Legend of the French martial art of Savate. With Savate entwined in his family since the time of Casseux. He learned from both his Father Eugene Lafond II and Grand Father Eugene Lafond I who was a student of Micheal Casseux, Hubert Lecour as well as Hubert Lebroucher.

In World War 2, Roger Lafond was fighting in the Battle of France and was captured as prisoner of war and sent to a German camp for POWs. While there, he continued training in his unarmed combat skills while teaching other Prisoners of War the fundamentals of Savate. The Germans soon noticed Lafond as he trained and and taught other POWs Savate. Thus the Germans later tried to force Lafond to teach German soldiers the French martial art(because it was so deadly). Lafond refused to teach German soldiers the French martial art and as a result was sent to a concentration camp for forced labor. Despite being in such terrible place and forced to work while only being able to eat such meager rations, Lafond's spirit was high. His love for Savate was so strong that whatever miseries and tortures the German camp guards inflicted on him such as starvation and malnutrition, Lafond continued to practice Savate and teaching other Frenchmen in the concentration camp the art. He was practicing Savate with such determination despite starving and facing other horrible conditions in the camp that the concentration camp's soldiers later gave Lafond the title of " THE Sports Fuhrer"

After WW2, Lafond realized that Savate was being lost due to much of masters of the art being killed in World Wars 1 and 2 and being a shortage of teachers around to spread it. As it was something so ingrained in his family blood line and his nature, Lafond refused to let Savate died. He started hosting classes in Paris to teach new generations of French men the art and opened seven schools throughout France to spread the art and allow it to flourish during the 1960s and 1970s. Thanks to his perseverance not to let the art die, Savate not only survived with a new generations of hardcore practitioners but it is now slowly becoming such a big sport in France that French TV Stations are now hosting national fights and the French schools recently added Savate as an official sport. Savate is indeed now slowly spreading throughout the world and is gaining a hardcore following in the world.

This particular section from a history channel documentary has shows Roger Lafond training some Americans in the art(its around 8:00-10:00):

This article explains a bit on Roger Lafond.
    http://www.savate.biz/true%20Profess...f%20Savate.htm

And this is an old video where Lafond shows Savate techniques:

Currently Roger Lafond teaches Savate and is currently the only Savateur with the honor of having the Golden Gloves rank (in Savate ranking is based on glove color) which is the equivalent of Grandmaster in Savate.

Last edited by SegaSaturnGamer; 25 Oct 10, 22:02.

Interesting....
    http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...php?groupid=75

Comment

Originally posted by diddyriddick View Post
      Interesting....
      What do you think of Lafond willing to risk his life just to save a martial arts style? It is very rare today even in among Asian martial arts such as Karate and Tae Kwon Do to find practitioners who are willing to devote much of their life in keeping their dear martial art in existence and teaching it to a new generations of practitioners.

Comment

Very interesting stuff Sega.
        Life is change. Built models for decades.
        Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
        I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by les Brains View Post
          Very interesting stuff Sega.
          When one practices a martial art style devotedly, one can learn the whole history of a martial art style with the ease of reciting ABCs!

I mean I got some accounts in different martial arts forums and websites and man let tell you much of the people are as dumb as hell in history (I even remember how one guy who practiced Muay Thai was saying that Thailand defeated the French in the 20th century in war.... Uh the French fought the Thai in WW2. With just one ship the French navy wiped out 2/3 of the entire Thai navy! And the French army only had infantry Foreign Legionniares but were destroying the tanks the Thai sent to conquer Indochina!!)

I mean just ask any avid Muay Thai practitioner in any martial arts forums, and man believe me you will hear tons of amazing facts about Muay Thai's history and the essential figures and champions of the martial art style. Same goes for Karate, Judo(I practice Judo and am quite familiar with its history!), SAMBO, and every other arts into existence.

I know that it will sound rediculous among people in this site, but knowlegde of the history of an MA you practice is considered a customary thing one must attain to truly practice an MA(some MA styles such as Judo even require you to know the martial art's history and figures in order to be promoted in rank!)! In fact dare I say it, the history of martial arts style is comparible to the history of World War 2 in scale of epicness and depth!

Comment

Originally posted by SegaSaturnGamer View Post
            I know that it will sound rediculous among people in this site....
            Not ridiculous, but certainly new to me. Thanks for putting out some info on it.
            Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
            Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
            http://www.mormon.org
            http://www.sca.org
            http://www.scv.org/
            http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Janos View Post
              Not ridiculous, but certainly new to me. Thanks for putting out some info on it.
              Here are sites containing articles on the history of Savate and articles showing Savate techniques:
              http://www.martialarm.com/martial-ar...OF_SAVATE.html
              http://savateaustralia.com/
              http://www.bridgemansavate.com/

Comment

Many use martial arts as an exercise and to stay in shape. Many martial arts also have their own philosophy on life approaching a religious fervor.

Unfortunately many people in martial arts think they get good enough to defend themselves. Only the masters really get that good. The average can get themselves into more trouble than they ever dreamed of.

I used to box in my younger days and learned a great deal from it. One is that a .45 will take out any martial artist quite easily.

The Colt .45 did not gets its nickname "The Equalizer" for nothing. An 80 year old grandma can put down a gang thug with just a squeeze of her finger.
                "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

Originally posted by trailboss49 View Post
                  Many use martial arts as an exercise and to stay in shape. Many martial arts also have their own philosophy on life approaching a religious fervor.

Unfortunately many people in martial arts think they get good enough to defend themselves. Only the masters really get that good. The average can get themselves into more trouble than they ever dreamed of.

I used to box in my younger days and learned a great deal from it. One is that a .45 will take out any martial artist quite easily.

The Colt .45 did not gets its nickname "The Equalizer" for nothing. An 80 year old grandma can put down a gang thug with just a squeeze of her finger.
                  On my first day of judo class, the instructor told us: "I am a black belt in judo, but that doesn't make me invincible. I have a .357 under my front seat -- that does make me invincible."
                  Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                  Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                  http://www.mormon.org
                  http://www.sca.org
                  http://www.scv.org/
                  http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

Currently Roger Lafond teaches Savate and is currently the only Savateur with the honor of having the Golden Gloves rank (in Savate ranking is based on glove color) which is the equivalent of Grandmaster in Savate.
                    Is this guy still alive and teaching? Incredible!
                    www.histours.ru

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

Comment

I'd like to know martial arts. But I feel comfortable walking with a cane based on a sledge hammer handle. Anyone attacking me, better have damned good reach And I swing to kill if I swing at all.

If you don't have a gun, you might have a problem.
                      Life is change. Built models for decades.
                      Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                      I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by ShAA View Post
                        Is this guy still alive and teaching? Incredible!
                        The amazing part is that his physical condition is so good he could masterfully excute Savate techniques with ease and is still athletic(even compared to young teenagers and adults!)!

Watch that video I post Human Weapon and go to around 8:80 until 10:00 to see Lafond practicing some Cane fighting techniques.

Comment

Originally posted by les Brains View Post
                          I'd like to know martial arts. But I feel comfortable walking with a cane based on a sledge hammer handle. Anyone attacking me, better have damned good reach And I swing to kill if I swing at all.

If you don't have a gun, you might have a problem.
                          In Savate they often also complement their training by practicing techniques of a French Weapon martial art called "La Canne De Combat" a style where you use canes to execute graceful and beautiful but deadly and quick cane strikes to defend oneself. Here are videos:

Very quick and agile aren't they!

Comment

In Savate they often also complement their training by practicing techniques of a French Weapon martial art called "La Canne De Combat" a style where you use canes to execute graceful and beautiful but deadly and quick cane strikes to defend oneself. Here are videos:

Very quick and agile aren't they!
                            First part of Human Weapon video:

Comment

Originally posted by trailboss49 View Post

Not unless the old grandma is in extremely close range. Then if the Gangster is a hardcore experienced convict, its over man!Convict will probably disarm the grandma, take the gun,and shoot her!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X