Martial Arts Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martial Arts Question...

My ten year old son wants to start taking some kind of martial art. I think it's a great idea. It looks like his options boil down to either aikido or judo. My preference would be for the one that has the most "real world" application. I think being able to physically respond if some puts their unwanted hands on you is a very good skill to possess. Any insights about the two to help us decide?

They also offer jujitsu, though not for kids. Maybe that will give my lazy ass some motivation for getting in shape. Besides the basic jujitsu, they also offer a weekly class of "on the ground" jujitsu. Now that sounds like fun. We'll see. Either way I'd best up my basic fitness level before doing any of them.

Thanks!
    Save America!! Impeach Obama!!

Originally posted by Sino Invasion View Post
    My ten year old son wants to start taking some kind of martial art. I think it's a great idea. It looks like his options boil down to either aikido or judo. My preference would be for the one that has the most "real world" application. I think being able to physically respond if some puts their unwanted hands on you is a very good skill to possess. Any insights about the two to help us decide?

They also offer jujitsu, though not for kids. Maybe that will give my lazy ass some motivation for getting in shape. Besides the basic jujitsu, they also offer a weekly class of "on the ground" jujitsu. Now that sounds like fun. We'll see. Either way I'd best up my basic fitness level before doing any of them.

Thanks!
    Judo probably has the best real world application as it is a really useful self defense. The judo toss is really something to watch. It has been steadily making its way into MMA as well.
    If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

I would say Judo, but I'm biaised as I fought for my country and actually won . Judo is almost completely defensive in nature as well, using the other persons strength against them.

Judo used to be huge in Britain, but often has less PR than hard style martial arts as not as sexy.
      How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
      Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

I would say judo. But I coach at the local club and have a little bias. I train with BJJ and MMA students but under the rules of judo.

Judo comes from the jujitsu used by the Samurai. The concept was to control and then finish with a choke, dislocation, or knife. We've removed most of the finishing.

Judo took a lot from Akido and other martial arts. Judo was mostly taken from an old style of Japanese jujitsu and changed in a way that makes it safe to practice at 100% effort while limiting the risk of injury. Weapons were removed. Chokes and dislocation techniques on the elbow remain but others, such as spine and neck dislocations, where removed. Knee locks and ankle locks may be taught at higher levels but are not practiced much and are illegal in randori and competition. Striking may be taught but probably not and if it is it's very basic and not practiced.

Judo has four aspects that are practiced. Kata - is a study of forms. It demonstrates mechanics and history. You don't do this for a few years. Many folks don't do kata until required for promotion. Randori - is free practice. You go fairly light with limited defence and trade attacks. You get a lot of practice doing this. Shia - is competition and is the primary focus now. Self defence - is as you think. Most clubs are focused on competition. You see very little self defence specifically taught now. But there is carry over. Not just with techniques but with the process of thought and confidence in action.

Self defence in judo is demonstrated in two kata. Kime no kata and Goshin Jitsu. You can look them up on youtube. Self defence is not specifically taught because of the risk of injury. Also, if you can't practice something at 100% effort it is questionable how well you can learn it. Judo is designed to be practiced at 100% effort and when used in self defence it is crippling. You can't practice kicking into the side of a knee or throwing an elbow in someone's throat at 100% effort. You also can't practice choking someone to death. Not to mention, at least in Canada, teaching self defence outside of kata means you accept the liability personally and the provincial and national associations won't cover you. Specific self defence training isn't seen very often in judo anymore.

Main techniques used in judo are
        Tachi waza - standing technique - the throws/takedowns. Made up of hand, hip, and foot techniques. This is where judo excells.
        Ne waza - ground technique - comprised of pins, chokes, and elbow dislocations. Chokes and dislocations shouldn't be taught to a ten year old. There are age limits in competition for these. Some pins will be modified for a ten year old depending on gender pairings and comfort of the young judoka and parents. No one wants to see a 40 year old coach bury his face in a young girl's chest or pin their son to the ground by grabbing his crotch. This will change as the judoka gains maturity and understanding of the sport. BJJ focuses more heavily on the ground.
        Atemi waza - kicking and striking. Rarely taught and usually superficially. Judo is a grappling sport.

Judo and BJJ come from the same place, Japanese Jujutsu. They are both good and are excellent compliments to eachother.

I could go on forever. But here is a little bit on long term athelete development. Judo is primarily a sport now. Competition is the focus. At ten years old the primary focus should be having fun and developing basic motor skills. Kids under 12 should be out playing and learning how their bodies work. U12 shouldn't be pushed to compete. If you push a youngster too hard too soon they won't stick around. Also, they need to learn the basics. U12 may learn things that work with kids of their age and strength - but will get them in trouble later. It's easier to learn it properly first than to have to unlearn it later. If you are planning to take up judo with your child you may not be in the same class - at least you shouldn't be. A ten year old has different developmental needs than an adult.

I ramble.
        Last edited by Duncan; 15 Mar 10, 00:07.

Comment

I have a 1st Dan in Kuk Sool Won (Korean traditional martial arts). I don't think there is a school for this in Malaysia.

Most personal fights with an opponent wind up on the ground soon after the initial punches. Gracie Jujitsu would be the best, followed by Judo. Put the kid in Judo.

Comment

I would suggest ju jitsu. I used to teach it up in Scotland as well as compete in some events down here.

Ju Jitsu is a 'wider' art than judo. It includes the throws and ground techniques but also includes striking techniques and has more of a 'real life' focus than Judo.

If you want to do ground techniques there is Brazilian Ju Jitsu, developed by the Gracie brothers - Royce Gracie won the first UFC.

Surprised that they don't have kids classes in Ju Jitsu - they have kids classes in most martial arts other here.
            "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Here is the short version.

Judo was developed as a form of physical and moral education. It is currently practiced primarily as a grappling sport.

Judo is primarily a sport and no longer taught specifically for self defence. But it is still very useful for self defence in use of techniques, decision making, and confidence of action. Practicing self defence forms where you can't make contact and must hold back are of limited value. Learning rote movements to specific positions is of limited value. Learning to function and make decisions with confidence, accuracy, and efficiency in a dynamic environment - standing up in a competition where your opponent is trying 100% to throw you to the ground and in a few years try to choke you unconscious - may be of more value.

Judo should be modified for a ten year old. The focus should be on having fun, learning body mechanics, and learning the basics of the sport. A ten year old is not a small adult. Kids have specific developmental needs.

The best martial art is one that your child will practice for a lifetime. Ask your kid why he what he wants. Most kids his age want to participate to have fun. And that's just fine.
              Last edited by Duncan; 14 Mar 10, 12:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan View Post
                The best martial art is one that your child will practice for a lifetime. Ask your kid why he what he wants. Most kids his age want to participate to have fun. And that's just fine.
                With the options presented I'd also suggest Judo. Aikido takes about 10 years just to become "proficient".

I started with Judo, went to JJ, then to Shotokan, and now do my own thing.
                #occupyarmchairgeneral.
                Nothing is easier than self-deceit. For what each man wishes, that he also believes to be true. Demosthenes.
                Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. Laurence J. Peter

Comment

Okies... got me going.

Here is some high level competition Judo.

Something for folks who say Judo neglects groundwork.

A fun stylised video showing nice technique.

Here is Judo as self defence. But you will probably never be taught this. Most of it is from higher level kata.
                  There's lots of 'dirty' judo for self defence. But unless it's in the official kata it's unlikely to be taught. This video is the more traditional, rather than 'dirty' techniques.
                  Last edited by Duncan; 14 Mar 10, 18:42.

Comment

The Winner Is...

Judo by a landslide. Thanks for the input. He'll be joining the 12 and under judo set. He can learn the basics and then see where he wants to head.

If I get myself in a bit better shape, I'll give the jujitsu a go.

This is certainly the place to do it. You pay a monthly fee and show up as much as you want. The fee? 60RM. Which is about $18 USD. Not bad!
                    Save America!! Impeach Obama!!

Comment

Very cool. Hope he enjoys it.
                      Don't be afraid of trying it yourself. If you don't feel you're in shape just do what you can. We have a couple of father/son and a mother/son in our club - albeit in different classes due to age. Some of the parents introduced their youngsters to the sport because they used to do it and believe it has value for the family. It's nice to see the common interest.
                      Here is a site with some information that may interest you. http://judoinfo.com/

An interesting video in five parts. Some of it is crap. Some of it is interesting. Some good history.

Another about Doug Rogers. A famous Canadian judoka.
                      Last edited by Duncan; 15 Mar 10, 21:29.

Comment

I vote for Việt Vő Đạo

Last edited by Miss Saigon; 16 Mar 10, 23:19.

Comment

What is MMA?
                          Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                            What is MMA?
                            Gee Sal where have you been?

MMA=Mixed Martial Arts.
                            If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                              What is MMA?
                              That's where a bunch of guys with ILS (invisible lat syndrome) strut around showing off their tattoos. The winner is the last guy to leave after they realise no one cares.
                              Last edited by Duncan; 17 Mar 10, 00:35.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X