Airsoft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airsoft

Has anybody ever heard of airsoft? It's a bit like paintball. They shoot 6mm BBs. Lots of different guns, can run from $10 to $1000 or more Good ones run about $200 up. (on eBay about $90 up)
    The cheaper ones are usually pistols, easy to break, require cocking for every shot. I have a full-size full-wieght M-16, 300 rd. clip (NOT a hopper, a regular size clip) and muzzle velocity 85-95m per second, so that's lets see... 280.5-313.5 fps. Rechargable NI-CAD battery power, selective fire and instructions badly traslated from Chinese:terms:
    Alpine Kommandos

Central Oregon KSK Airsoft Team

Yes, I'm a regular Airsofter. I have six weapons and planning on another buy this week. We're going to be doing some short films soon.

Comment

I hate airsofting. What's the point? The balls don't fly right and people lie when they get hit. I have a couple of airsoft guns and Ive tried it, but I just don't get an adrenaline rush like paintball.

I have an M60 Machine Gun version of it. It's fun to shoot because it's an automatic. The greatest part of it was, we found it in a junkyard! It still works!

Skoal!

Comment

The trick is to wear light clothing. Then you can usually hear a distinctive "OW!" when someone was hit. One time, when I ambushed my friend, he got hit in the tounge. I consider it payback for when I played paintball with him for my first time and he hit me in the [email protected]!!$. Ouch.

Also here's some actual quotes from the instructions:

"Battery must be take off from the gun when not in use. Otherwise, shooting accident my be occured."

"Only charge the necessary time. Over charging will easy broken and fire will be happened."

P.S. Since I can't figure out how to make my profile say my location, I'll just tell you. Oregon.
        Alpine Kommandos

Comment

I prefer Airsoft over Paintball.

Airsoft can, and is normally, more tactical in nature and yes, it does require people to be honest and all of my players are. However, it's hard to lie about being hit if you get shot with 100+ rounds of 6mm ammo doing 300+ FPS at 50 feet.

Paintballs gone more mainstream and all the get up that goes with it made me leave it. Airsoft is still catching on and won't be (ever I hope) mainstream for years.

Comment

Airsoft sounds like my kind of game. Im hoping they have some places here in Houston on where I can buy equipment.
            Govenour Of Texas and all southern provinces. Kepper Of The Holy Woodchipper.

Comment

Try out some springers before you go for AEGs.

www.airsoftatlanta.com
              www.airsplat.com

Some I use for arming newbies with springers and such.

Comment

I don't know if it is more tactical really than paintball. I've coordinated large games with about 1,000 people from around the area to compete in tournaments before and tactition is a MAJOR key element in paintball. Maybe you just did paintball in your backyard with a friend or two and didn't see any tactical advantage, but when you are with 10+ people, the only way to win is to use tactition.

Skoal!

Comment

BTW- Paintball can actually cost more than airsoft. My gun cost me $1,300. Some can range up to between $2,000 and $3,000. I think that's why some people prefer airsoft because of its lower cost, especially for the ammo.

Skoal!

Comment

Airsoft can initially be cheaper, but for hardcore gamers, it is not.

As for tactical advantages, when you play Airsoft, you're using weapons, that are an exact replica of a military weapon which adds to the realism. Magazine capacity, weight, not getting hoppers caught on things, whatever.

It's all a big opinion thing, but a lot of paintballers switched over when PB became 'mainstream' and they wanted something a bit more strategic. I don't rag on PBers, but I prefer Airsoft.

Comment

I'm a Paintballer... but I must admit I do own Airsoft guns.

I own a TM M-4 AEG and TM M9 Gas blowback. And another 5 spring guns I got when I lived in Korea. They can be fun, however I'm surprised they aren't more accurate than paintball.

What gives there? Does anyone have an AEG that is accurate up to 100 feet?

Let me know how you did it.

Also, who knows where to get High-cap mags and metal conversion kits for the best price???

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Storm
                        Airsoft can initially be cheaper, but for hardcore gamers, it is not.

As for tactical advantages, when you play Airsoft, you're using weapons, that are an exact replica of a military weapon which adds to the realism. Magazine capacity, weight, not getting hoppers caught on things, whatever.

It's all a big opinion thing, but a lot of paintballers switched over when PB became 'mainstream' and they wanted something a bit more strategic. I don't rag on PBers, but I prefer Airsoft.
                        I have yet to hear of one person say that they started playing airsoft because pb went "mainstream." A lot means a large portion of our group. Meaning 20-40% anything smaller than that would be "some switched over." I doubt even 5% switched over. Probably more like 1% or less.

Skoal!

Comment

I think Airsoft is cheaper than paintball, not only because of the ammo and guns, but also because of the power. Most high-quality AEGs use rechargable batteries, whereas most paintball guns use CO2. Electricity prices very from area to area, but where I live the cost of recharging the batteries is about $0.02. Mine lasts about 2 weeks with 2 to 4 combat hours per week. I don't know how much CO2 costs or lasts, though.
                          Alpine Kommandos

Comment

It's cheaper to recharge our batteries, heck yeah.

As for accuracy, remember, they're 6mm BBs anywhere from 12g to 40g. Wind is a definite factor. However, my MP5 is accurate up to 250 feet with NO wind.

Also, our engagement rules allow for any inaccuracy to be made up. Our snipers are extremely accurate, as they shoot up tp a 40g.

Comment

AEG accuracy is based on a few key things, namely the weight of the BB (anything less than .23g and any breeze will cut your accuracy to around 40ft), the bore size of the barrel (normal stock barrels are 6.08mm.. quite a bit of room for 'bounce' down it, the high-grade barrels are 6.04 and 6.03, but require much higher quality BBs to use), and the FPS in the gun; obviously lower (250-300FPS) weapons will not be as accurate because they can't get the BB going fast enough to beat out over air resistance past 50 feet. Upgraded weapons shooting around 400 FPS have flat trajectories out much futher and sniper weapons shooting with heavy (.3g+) BB with tight barrels and 550FPS upgrades are flat out to 250 ft and you WILL feel them through a vest.

Nreese- your points about people lying about hits are as valid for paintball as well. We even had an ex-paintballer brag of his 'wiping' exploits to avoid being called out by the refs... there's hardly any room to compare the two in this area since there's the same potential for cheating... except that airsoft doesn't use refs and relies exclusively on the honor system (and if they won't call themself out, you unload on them until they do and then hold the trigger down a few extra seconds to convince them to call it sooner next time). It's not tough for any 'loser' to cheat playing either.

There is no fundamental difference between paintball and airsoft if all you did was switch out the 'marker' for an AEG. Woodball is the standard 'style' for airsoft since airsofters don't tend to want to play in closed in pens behind bunkers.

The paintball versus airsoft arguement is old and in most cases filled with closed-minded people; it's not worth rehashing and opening up on here over; it's just a matter of preferrence.

Airsoft is no cheaper if you want to spend the money. An upgraded 450FPS para-M249 with scope, battery-fed 2,500 rnd mag, and customer battery runs around $2,800. On the other hand, for $250, you can get a fully-auto 285-300FPS AEG for backyard plinking.

Jeremy- The Silent Knights are the biggest Houston-area airsoft team, you might try finding more about them and hookingup with them some weekend when they skirmish before dropping some money into airsoft.
                              If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X