Martial Arts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martial Arts

What kind of martial arts do they have in North Korea? Tae Kwon Do? Tae Kyon? Hapkido? I'm curious if they have different ones than the South.

Tae Kwan Do mostly. There's also a native form of wrestling too, but the name escapes me ATM.
    "To be defeated and not submit, is victory; to be victorious and rest on one's laurels, is defeat."
    --Marshal Józef Piłsudski

Comment

The thing about Tae Kwon Do is that it was formally unified out of several schools of martial arts. Do they have a separate TKD organization up there? What about the Kukkiwon?

Comment

Ill Bodyguards

Since you brought up martial arts & N. Korea, go to YouTube and type in "North Korean Bodyguards". There's this cool vid' of Lil' Kim-Ill Kill Jong's (yeah, I just made that up.) bodyguards. One scene particulary impresses me as a bodyguard does a backflip off of an obstacle, then sprints, goes to ground, and shatters targets about 50 yds. off, with a semi-auto pistol, on the first shot.
        I haven't figured out how to successfully embed vid's yet, an' I don't have time to play around with it today. Somebody help me out?
        Life is precious, but also cheap. For without war, there is no peace. GS ~ A Soldier's Ghost. A Warrior's Soul.

Comment

Just post the link, and we can watch it that way.
          "To be defeated and not submit, is victory; to be victorious and rest on one's laurels, is defeat."

Comment

North Korean Bodyguard Training for dictator Kim Jong-il.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxvsx4lMffk

Let's see if this works.
            Thanx Pilsudski.
            Michigan...Pilsner sudski?
            Life is precious, but also cheap. For without war, there is no peace. GS ~ A Soldier's Ghost. A Warrior's Soul.

Comment

Thanks that was very interesting to watch, especially when the one bodyguard mentioned that Kim Jong Ill is a good shot himself.

Originally posted by GhostSoldier View Post
              Michigan...Pilsner sudski?
              Oh you know my weakness!

Comment

That side kick was beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by AThousandYoung View Post
                  What kind of martial arts do they have in North Korea? Tae Kwon Do? Tae Kyon? Hapkido? I'm curious if they have different ones than the South.

The North Koreans are into TKD in a big way, and unfortunately this has caused problems with one of the major forms of TKD.

While the origins of TKD can be debated endlessly, without a doubt one of the most influential people in the art was General Choi.

According to some sources he was the creater of modern TKD. Other sources dispute this. but Britannica credits him, so I'll go with that.

TKD consists of many different groups, but the two most influential are probably:

ITF - Founded and controlled by general Choi
                  WTF - A splinter group, apparently supported by the Sth Korean government and the one that is in the olympics.

Though Choi was a Sth Korean general, he was apparently born in what is now part of Nth Korea.

When he knew he was dying, he went back to his village? in Nth Korea to die.

The problem is, who gets to run the ITF now that he is dead.

His son was supposed to and many clubs follow him.

At one of the last ITF board? meeteings, apparently his son was kicked out and someone else was elected to run the ITF. Some people claim that board meeting didn't have enough members present to allow them to make such a decision.

According to the Nth Koreans, on his deathbed, General Choi told them that he had changed his mind and that he wanted leadership of the ITF to go to the Nth Koreans.

So even here in Australia, clubs that are under the ITF (such as mine) and who want international accreditation needed to decide if they allign themselves with:

Grandmaster Choi (The General's Son)

The (pehaps improperly) elected head of the ITF

The North Koreans

What a mess!

Comment

I got my 1st dan through kukkiwon. That's wtf right?

Comment

When I was in Pyongyang in 05, I asked our "PR contact" (a former state security official who had been given a job where he could make some hard currency) about Nork MA.

He mentined TKD (ITF style presumably, as per the post above) but the other styles he mentioned, the names of which I do not recall, I had never heard of. (I have lived and practiced MA in South Korea for over a decade.) My interpreter thought that these arts were all taught in the miltary. Unlike any Western PR executive I have ever met, our minder had several scars from "knife training" that he was very happy to show me. But Hapkido, Taekkyun, Hae-dong Kumdo, Tang Soo Do/Soobahk Do, etc - all arts currently popular in ROK - he had not heard of.

If you read "The Tears of My Soul" the memoirs of the captured Nork terrorist/spy Kim Hyun-hee (Codename: Mayumi) she mentions TKD, TSD and Hapkido training. I have real doubts, as Hapkido and TSD were both South Korean martial arts practiced post 1945 (ie when the country was already divided after WWII).

But for sure, the Norks have some nasty MA. When Kim Shin-jo, the only Nork commando captured in the Blue House raid in 1968 (the rest of his platoon was wiped out) was interrogated, he demonstrated various MA.

The ROK Army were impressed. Deciding that it was in advance of anything they had, they put together a group of their top MA boys (TKD, Hapkido, Judo, Praying Mantis and Boxing guys, I believe) and ordered them to come up with a new system. They did - and Tukong Moosool (Special Forces MA) was born.

Though in these days of MMA, even this is looking dated.
                      A massive attack...a brigade against an army...three nights of battle...an unforgettable tragedy.
                      Sixty years later, the full story is told at last:
                      http://tothelastround.wordpress.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X