Paintball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paintball

Any of you guys play paintball? What do you think it takes to be a good player?
    Run fast, shoot straight.

Dedication, translation;money and time. It helps if your not real allergic to wild plants either(poison ivy,oak, sumac).

There's a huge array of weapons available and secondary equipment to buy. We spent months designing, building and testing "silencers".

Lots of fun if you have the time and money. :thumb:
    " If it be now, tis not to come: if it be not to come, it will be now; if it be not now, yet it will come: the readiness is all"

Comment

You guys actually get a "silencer" to work? I have tried to make one for my Tippmann 98 Custom and so far done nothing but failed. What did you guys do? And, is it really worth all the trouble? I mean, unless you ply in a wooded area, your opponent pretty much knows where you are anyway.

Comment

We used to play almost exclusively in wooded areas. Never got one to perfection, but certainly good sound reduction.

Used pieces of PVC piping nested inside one another with holes drilled in each of the pieces.

Distraction works better though. A nice string of firecrackers going off will mask sound nicely, while you engage your target.
        " If it be now, tis not to come: if it be not to come, it will be now; if it be not now, yet it will come: the readiness is all"

Comment

I tried using an oil filter once, it didn't work so well. Of course, my gun is pretty loud. Your firecracker idea probably does work pretty well. I ant to get my hands on some smoke grenades to use the next time I play. I just don't know where to get them, or if they are legal for that matter.

What kind of gun do you use?

Comment

None anymore, haven't gone in 10 years. I'm not that young anymore(45), my back is shot, and I dont have the time or money. :drool:

I used a single shot pistol, held 10 rounds. Had a more expensive rapid fire gun, but it really wasn't more effective(one shot one kill) so I tended to use the pistol more, don't remember the model names. Sold all of it years ago on E-bay.

Don't know where you live but I used to stock up on fireworks and smoke bombs whenever I went to FL, actualy I stopped at South of the Border on the way. Its a place in SC that sold all that stuff, right off 95.

Comment

I am in Arkansas. I think there are a couple fireworks stores around, but you can't set off the fire works inside the city limits, and we play inside the sity limits technically.

I still play all the time. I am only 20 and still going strong It is a little expensive, and managing college along with paintball can be a little tough sometimes.

Comment

I haven't taken the oppurtunity to play yet, what with other priorities, but I will soon. I used to play war all the time when I was a kid. But, what do I think it takes to make a good player? Well, some degree of athleticism and an understanding of small-unit tactics. Fire and manuever. Suppressive cover fire. Leap-frogging. Read Stephen Ambrose's "Band Of Brothers", if you weren't a dogfaced-groundpoundin' grunt. Ghost.

I've already done plenty of killin', plenty of dyin'.
                Life is precious, but also cheap. For without war, there is no peace. GS ~ A Soldier's Ghost. A Warrior's Soul.

Comment

My experience came via a natural progression of outdoor activities.

There was a group of about 5 kids, and we were all martial artists/wargamers/paintballers. We came to paintball from running through the woods beating the dung out of each other with bokken . We tried BB guns for a bit after that. Fireworks came next. We got the cardboard tubes from the center of wrapping paper, put a removable cap on one end, tied 3 bottle rockets together, and made our own rocket launchers. All this was fun, but once we saw paintball, it was on!

Rat, that sounds like it may have been a Splatmaster. They were one of the very earliest paintball pistol makers. I had two of 'em.

South of the Border is still there, high-priced as ever.
                  Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

Comment

Paintball skills

I've been playing paintball a while now, and the key to the game is team work. And money. If you are serious about the game, you have to spend the cash to aquire the proper equipment.

I use a Tippmann 98 Custom with a Flatline barrel and 48cu/3000 Nitro tank from Pure Energy. It's a simple system, rugged and works well (as long as the temp is 30+ ... a problem here in Michigan).

I play wood ball, meaning we play in the woods. We don't have much use for the colorful speedball games you see on television and in all the paintball mags. There's a schism between the speedball ranks and the woodball/scenario players. Speedball people want the sport to be treated as a non-violent extreme sport, not unlike snowboarding. Hence, all the pretty colors and averse to military clothing and terms like "gun."

For people with any common sense, paintball is people shooting at each other with guns. Instead of lead, it's paint. The concept, however, remains the same: Don't get shot, shoot the other guy first.

If you wear orange and pink suits with cutesy markers like the Spyder, that's your deal. Subscribe to whatever fantasy you like, but the rest of us will use a little sense and wear cammo since it rather blends in, making us a bit harder to see. And that keeps us from getting shot at. Which is the point, if I remember correctly.

As for military skill, the very basics come into play after you get a few games under your belt. At first, everyone runs at the other team and mini firefights breakout all over. There is no unity, no communication. You win by luck. In those games, I sit back and wait for the sound and fury to subside, then I go forward and handle the business. When I play with folks from my work, I've slowly shown them BASIC tactical ideas, like suppresion fire to cover movement, bounding, and flanking maneuvers.

Unless you're on a team that plays together regularly, plan on lots of Rambo-style amateur games. For most people, it's fun just to run around shooting and not getting arrested for it.

I'm trying to take a core group of people to the next level. Our goal is to just stay alive and not embarass ourselves at the big game held each summer in Michigan (3,000 players).

If you think you're going to go out some weekend and execute squad and platoon tactics, it doesn't work. Civvies don't have the discipline and training to pull it off. Stick with common sense and you'll have fun. It's paintball, not war, so there is no UCMJ, no air strikes, no medivac, no arty to call in, no squad machine gun, none of the elements that American tactics are based on. Keep it simple, like bounding and suppresion fire. Tell people where to run. You're not going to use METT-T or Boyd Cycles.

As for guns, Tippmanns are reliable. That's why most fields use them as their rentals. Get a double-lens mask (thermal) to avoid fogging. Get a nitro tank (it makes all the difference). Find a decent barrel that improves accuracy and distance. Find reliable paint (every single thing made by Brass Eagle is crap, and some fields outlaw their stuff). Get some surplus camo (the new USMC camo pattern pants do work nicely). Paint grenades are usually overrated in the woods. I've never used paint mines or mortars, but will try soon.

That's the basics. Have fun. Keep your mask on and be safe.
                    Oh, and wear a cup.

Comment

Sounds like some of you guys have done a considerable amount of playing, as have I. So far, all the games that I have played with my brother on my team we have yet to lose, and that is probably pushing 60 games. Team work makes all the difference. It really doesn't matter what kind of marker you use. I have heard it said that the game is 90% player and 10% gun, and I have personally found that to be true. Tippanns are good guns, my peronal choice, but there are other options out there depending on what you want. Phantoms are good, as are a couple other pump guns. BE and VL gear does have a reputation for being less than perfect, but VL is finally putting out an average marker.

docgonzo19, does that flatline really work? I have heard they are pretty horrible and cause some problems with accuracy. They do give you range, but at the expence of accuracy. That is what I have been told, but I haven't actually tried one. I don't think they are worth the $150 to get one. I can play fine with my stock barrel and still beat the guys who can out range me. If I put on my "sniper" barrel that cost me $50 I can do even more damage. Just wondering what your take on the system is.

Comment

Flatline

The Flatline is a dicey proposition, no doubt. It can't be used under 40-degrees and you need to find the proper paintballs.

That said, if it's used in optimal conditions, it's awesome. The accuracy is better than the stock barrel on the 98C, and the range really is better.

In real war, optimal conditions are rare, but in this case, it's just playing smart. I use the stock barrel or a rental marker in the winter. Where I play, the fields aren't huge, so it's not a big deal.

The Flatline's accuracy is better than most think. At the end of the ball's flight, it tends to tail off to the right. At 120 feet, that's not a big deal -- in fact, I've wrapped balls around trees to hit people. The question is, will the ball break at that range? Sometimes. However, it's has an accurate kill zone that is farther from me than what I'd get from a rental marker. And it's made all the difference.

This weekend I used it in a woodball game in 10-degree weather. I broke a few balls and switched to a rental gun. I quickly noticed the loss of range. When I have the Flatline, I can maneuver and draw fire while out of their kill range -- it's worked every time. I draw more attention from the other team than I should because they see me and can't hit me, but I'm splashing balls near them. They get thinking about it. Meanwhile, the assault team is moving up. Classic fire/manuever warfare.

Is the marker as accurate as I'd like? None of them are. Remember, this is the 21st century version of a smoothbore musket. Instead of black powder propelling a lead ball, it's compressed air/gas propelling a paintball. Same theory. We only kill at short range. Hell, we could probably stand in linear formations and shoot at each other from 75 yards and get fewer kills than a shootout between the Continentals and Red coats.

That's why I like the Flatline. The ball shoots on a flat trajectory, which is awesome in the woods. I can put more paint in a small area. In the game of paintball, the smallest advantage can make all the difference.

Comment

So in other words, its worth it? Hmmm. Maybe I just don't play the right style of game for that kind of equipment. I like it up close and personal. I tend to be able and think quicker and act faster than my opponent if I am close to them and really putting them under a lot of pressure. I've never played in a scenario game, are those pretty cool? I have read about them in magazines and heard about them but have never had the time to play in one. Supposedly a field in my area has one every May I think. I have finals in May though, so it has to be late in the month for me to play in it. Have you ever used a Response Trigger, e-grip, or an e-bolt equiped Tippy? If you have, are they any good? I mean, it obviously increases your potential rate of fire, but does the difference really matter. I guess if you got a e-bolt and set it on fullauto you get the same effect as a mg pretty much. That could be kind of cool.

Comment

Tippy mods

Never used an e-bolt or trigger. Not sure I see the need, and I don't trust Spacely Sprockets gadgets in the mud. I play down and dirty in the woods, and don't need the worry of sensative parts getting damaged. The 98C is a tough piece of work, and I prefer is a simple, reliable weapon. I've seen eletronic markers fail in wet conditions - not good.

Full auto is silly in the woods. It'll chop paint before long. 3-shot burst is OK, but full auto wastes paint in the woods. Maybe it has value in speedball, but I'm not qualified to talk much on speedball. My playing is in the woods. I can pull the trigger enough to lay down more than enough paint to keep their heads down.

The Flatline is a situational barrel. If you have the money and play in the woods and it's above 40 degrees, go for it.

There are many other barrels out there that have advantages. Find one that suits your game and style. I've heard Flatlines suck at close range accuracy. I've not had a problem, but most of our shootouts are over several hundred yards in the woods -- not in hand-to-hand range. When we do get that close, I fall back on the Wet Willy or Squad Buster paint grenades.

Comment

You ever used in any other barrel setup other than the flatline? Like J&J ceramic or Dye barrel?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X