My brother on the airsoft field.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My brother on the airsoft field.

I used to play tournament paintball. My brother has been trying to get me into airsoft. Boy am I glad he never served my old regiment or paintball team. His standing up while reloading would not be popular. What ever happend to simple ammo pockets and bandoliers?

Last edited by Duncan; 07 Jan 07, 00:54.
    AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
    The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Airsoft

I also used to play tournament..semi pro paintball. I had to quit because of my bad knees and the cost, plus playing against kids in orange and purple gear drove us nuts...our team was outfitted in full military gear. Some of the old guys wanted to get into airsoft..it looked more fun, was certainly cheaper, the guns/gear were better etc!!

I wish I could still play.

We were good.

CD
    "History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Originally posted by creeping death View Post
      I also used to play tournament..semi pro paintball. I had to quit because of my bad knees and the cost, plus playing against kids in orange and purple gear drove us nuts...our team was outfitted in full military gear. Some of the old guys wanted to get into airsoft..it looked more fun, was certainly cheaper, the guns/gear were better etc!!

I wish I could still play.

We were good.

CD
      I started playing with 12 gram and 10 round tubes, about 20 years ago. When the larger air cylinders and 20 round hoppers came out we thought we had struck the mother load. I used to love it. Most people used bushmasters or short barrel phiranas. We played mostly on a huge field (120 or 40 acre rings a bell) with a four level village. We usually had 30 or 40 people on the field but have had 150+ for tournaments. We also played in a smaller indoor field. It was a bowling ally that had been converted into a kind of Viet-Nam style village. Had a big tower in the center with tunnels under it. The tower was where the lights and sound were controlled. Loved playing with the music blasting. They also had motion detectors scattered about in changeable locations. As you walked by a small stobe light or small flood light would come on. They even had part of a crashed light airplane. There was a heavy ass dummy and a suitcase in it. We used to play 'rescue the president' or 'retrieve the secret documents' a lot. Lots of fun.

I quit because I didn't enjoy the new gear such as massive hoppers with speed loaders and auto weapons. When we shot 60 rounds in a day we made as many tags as when we were shooting 600. I didn't enjoy the run and gun style of play the new technology promoted.

The other thing that got me was that as the game became better known it attracted a new crowd. We used to have to be 18 to play or 16 with a parental waiver. We played on a closed field if we brought 30 people. That changed as the game became more profitable and the kids started showing up. To these kids the game was more about being a jack ass than having fun. The increasing number of thoughtless players really turned me off of the game.

Maybe I'll try airsoft. It looks like fun.
      Last edited by Duncan; 08 Jan 07, 00:54.

Comment

Wow Duncan...your brother is asking to be tagged.
        I played paintball six or eight times. Heaps of fun. We used to go with some of my martial arts friends. There were some real 'Rambo' types and they turned me off a bit. When I was fit, 6 hours of go, go, go was okay but now I doubt I could do it without three months to prepare. We just used to hire the guns and goggles. Our guns didn't even resemble real weapons though. They looked like paintball guns. Now I would have to travel interstate to play because of different gun laws. One needs a shooters licence in my state because apparently we're all going to commit mass shootings with paintball guns.
        The truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! I deride your truth handling abilities!
        Sideshow Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Geek44 View Post
          Wow Duncan...your brother is asking to be tagged.
          I played paintball six or eight times. Heaps of fun. We used to go with some of my martial arts friends. There were some real 'Rambo' types and they turned me off a bit. When I was fit, 6 hours of go, go, go was okay but now I doubt I could do it without three months to prepare. We just used to hire the guns and goggles. Our guns didn't even resemble real weapons though. They looked like paintball guns. Now I would have to travel interstate to play because of different gun laws. One needs a shooters licence in my state because apparently we're all going to commit mass shootings with paintball guns.
          I sent him a scolding email. He sounds really hyped by the game and is having a lot of fun.

Comment

I got knocked unconscious for a few seconds the last time I played. Some nit-wit that I never saw shot me in the temple at very close range. I'm sure he didn't mean it but I had to lie down for a minute or so. Then I continued the game. It gets damned hot too. I hate playing when it's above 30C. (86F). In fact I hate EVERYTHING when it's above 30C.
            The truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! I deride your truth handling abilities!
            Sideshow Bob.

Comment

About the video... that is why you get double mag clamp,

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan View Post
                I started playing with 12 gram and 10 round tubes, about 20 years ago. When the larger air cylinders and 20 round hoppers came out we thought we had struck the mother load. I used to love it. Most people used bushmasters or short barrel phiranas. We played mostly on a huge field (120 or 40 acre rings a bell) with a four level village. We usually had 30 or 40 people on the field but have had 150+ for tournaments. We also played in a smaller indoor field. It was a bowling ally that had been converted into a kind of Viet-Nam style village. Had a big tower in the center with tunnels under it. The tower was where the lights and sound were controlled. Loved playing with the music blasting. They also had motion detectors scattered about in changeable locations. As you walked by a small stobe light or small flood light would come on. They even had part of a crashed light airplane. There was a heavy ass dummy and a suitcase in it. We used to play 'rescue the president' or 'retrieve the secret documents' a lot. Lots of fun.

I quit because I didn't enjoy the new gear such as massive hoppers with speed loaders and auto weapons. When we shot 60 rounds in a day we made as many tags as when we were shooting 600. I didn't enjoy the run and gun style of play the new technology promoted.

The other thing that got me was that as the game became better known it attracted a new crowd. We used to have to be 18 to play or 16 with a parental waiver. We played on a closed field if we brought 30 people. That changed as the game became more profitable and the kids started showing up. To these kids the game was more about being a jack ass than having fun. The increasing number of thoughtless players really turned me off of the game.

Maybe I'll try airsoft. It looks like fun.
                Know what you mean about the usage. I was playing Sunday with some friends from church and some of their friends, and well, crazy doesn't do justice to these suckers wastage. They were shooting double fingered on the ir triggers (for the ones that didn't have autos) and burning 500+ rounds a game. I brought my 2 year old gun back out to play, and succeeded in having at least 2 people hate me. Got kills on tops of heads, hoppers, embrasures (on bunkers), and the like. All with a gun that cost 60 bucks and that I modified for 0. I actually killed someone and dueled with them for 2 minutes before I realized they were out.

But it doesn't matter how many balls you can sling. What matters is getting them to hit, or close enough to pin, and following that up with efficient and aggressive movement tactics. Nothing like establishing angles of fire on a bunker, then running up like mad under (literally) covering fire and tossing a grenade. I scored the same as the rest of my team, or anyone else for that matter, with training making up for lack of time playing or a superior weapon.
                Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X