Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by R. Evans View Post

That is never to be mentioned again.
    What I think is funny is how the "new kids" won't get the reference.

Comment

• Originally posted by R. Evans View Post

That is never to be mentioned again.
      that is a taboo thread!!
      "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."- Sir Winston Churchill, about R.A.F. fighter pilots."
      "It is well that war is so terrible, else we grow to fond of it." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Originally posted by daemonofdecay View Post
        Yes, but so did the knight. They both had a number of weapons of different length and utility.

For me, the biggest difference stems from the simple imbalance in armor available to the two warriors. The Knight's finely crafted plate armor was superior to the samurai's - although both sides were protected, the european's had really mastered their craft by the 1500s.
        I meant that the Samurai had more weapon variety than the Knight. Bows. Sickle and chain. Everything European Knights used, the Samurai used as well.

The Samurai are, of course, legendary in unarmed battlefield combat as well. That's what jiujutsu is.

Comment

• Originally posted by robbielynne View Post
          that is a taboo thread!!
          You better stop talking about it. I'm tempted to look for it and resurrect it just to annoy you all.

Comment

• Originally posted by AThousandYoung View Post
            You better stop talking about it. I'm tempted to look for it and resurrect it just to annoy you all.
            I think it's dead. I mean, realllly DEAD. No resurrection possible.

Just the Immortality of Infamy...
            History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
            _________
            BoRG

Comment

I meant that the Samurai had more weapon variety than the Knight. Bows. Sickle and chain. Everything European Knights used, the Samurai used as well.

The Samurai are, of course, legendary in unarmed battlefield combat as well. That's what jiujutsu is.
              But knights had plenty of non-sword weapons as well. Not to mention European martial arts, which unfortunately mostly died out. Shame, really.

So for me, the imbalance between a knight's armour and a samurai's is still the telling difference. Give them both the same relative type of weapon and my money is on the knight.

Comment

• Originally posted by Torien View Post
                I think it's dead. I mean, realllly DEAD. No resurrection possible.

Just the Immortality of Infamy...
                Torien speaks the truth. That thread is locked in amongst the Damned Threads of the Past. None dare enter its ghostly halls but the foolish.

Comment

• Alright, I'm curious now.
                  Someone please tell me what this infamous thread is and I promise not to revive it.

Comment

• From the clue it sounds like it was about Operation Sealion.

Comment

• Originally posted by RepublicanGuard View Post
                      Alright, I'm curious now.
                      Someone please tell me what this infamous thread is and I promise not to revive it.
                      It was the Sealion thread and it ran for over 1,000 pages. And it got ugly towards the end. Not to mention the beginning and the middle. It got people banned numerous times and sometimes for good.

Now that is the last time I'll ever mention it.

I'm probably already in trouble from certain members here.
                      Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• Originally posted by RepublicanGuard View Post
                        Alright, I'm curious now.
                        Yeah, R. Evans pretty much summed it up. It became so bad that those who did participate in it (and survived) still struggle with the scars.

Although, being a soulless heathen, I have no problems myself.

Yes DoD, you have absolutely no problems at all! Muahahaha!

Comment

I would say that the knight had the greater variety of weaponry, from maces, to hammers, to axes, poleaxes, halberds, swords, lances, etc. The kusarigama would be an excellent weapon to use against a heavily armored opponent though. The samurai did have their varieties of axes, maces, and glaives, but the axes and maces were uncommon.
                          TTFN

Comment

Yeah, R. Evans pretty much summed it up. It became so bad that those who did participate in it (and survived) still struggle with the scars.

Although, being a soulless heathen, I have no problems myself.

Yes DoD, you have absolutely no problems at all! Muahahaha!
                            A notoriously controversial thread!
                            TTFN

Comment

But knights had plenty of non-sword weapons as well. Not to mention European martial arts, which unfortunately mostly died out. Shame, really.

So for me, the imbalance between a knight's armour and a samurai's is still the telling difference. Give them both the same relative type of weapon and my money is on the knight.
                              European martial arts don't win at the UFC...the Gracies were the first champions with jiujutsu.

Although most competitors nowadays do study boxing and wrestling as well as jiujutsu and Thai boxing I understand.

Comment

European martial arts don't win at the UFC...the Gracies were the first champions with jiujutsu.

Although most competitors nowadays do study boxing and wrestling as well as jiujutsu and Thai boxing I understand.
                                As the post you were quoting pointed out, European martial arts essentially died out, only the sporting forms survived into the present day, in a heavily transformed and regulated form.

Or, in other words, there's a lot of difference between modern western combat sports and the way things were actually done by the guys who were putting their lives on the line.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X