No announcement yet.

The Medival European Knight vs a Japanese Samurai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blech...I can't get back to sleep after being woken by fighting neighbors.

Ouch, poor guitar. Good thing he got away with only losing that.

One thing is that all katana or tachi are not the same. Weapons from the Mongol and Nambokucho Era were thicker and heavier for penetrating armor. They also had naginata-like kissaki or tips for better thrusts against armor. These came about because of the changing conditions of warfare.

Here is a fabulous example of a Nambokucho Era weapon by Masamitsu of the Osafune School, who is believed to be two generations removed from the legendary Masamune. It's set in a shirasaya for display. I would love to see it in appropriate koshirae (sword fittings). So, if you have a spare $29,000....

http://www.legacyswords.com/fs_ant_daito10.htm
    TTFN

Comment

• I was going to try and weigh in on this, but the first two pages are just too awful... hasn't anyone heard of paragraphs?

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall of text!
      And it's over the mountain and over the Main,
      Through Gibralter, to France and Spain.
      Pit a feather tae your bonnet, and a kilt aboon your knee,
      Enlist my bonnie laddie and come awa with me.

Comment

• As DoD alluded to; I think the longer the contest lasts, the better the chances for the Samurai. The knight is wearing over 100 lbs of armor designed to resist penetration, while the Samurai is wearing "light" armor designed to deflect blows. That's alot of weight and the main reason knights were mounted. Once taken to the ground they usually could not get back on their feet. Regardless of physical shape, participating in a melee for more than 4-5 minutes is exhausting. Worse yet, while wearing heavy armor. The longer the fight, the better it is for the Samurai.
        If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tankboy View Post
          I was going to try and weigh in on this, but the first two pages are just too awful... hasn't anyone heard of paragraphs?

Those are old posts. Keep going, you'll be rewarded.
          Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• Freight, you're definitely right on how exhausting a melee is. My SCA friends would about fall over after a good sword brawl. In Kendo, we spar almost continuously with a bamboo shinai for about half and hour after warmup exercises and my arms are like lead after.
            TTFN

Comment

I was going to try and weigh in on this, but the first two pages are just too awful... hasn't anyone heard of paragraphs?

er are they like paratroopers
              BE PURE! BE VIGILANT! BEHAVE!

Comment

• Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
                Those are old posts. Keep going, you'll be rewarded.
                I can't...I'm just going to have to assumed this turned into stereotypes and there are now ninjas in it.

I can't really say who would win since I don't know too much about Japanese history, but I can say which I'd like more and that's definitely the European Night. Much cooler looking and Medieval Total War is better than Shogun anyway.
                Besides
                I think this really destroys the credibility of the Samurai

Go pirates and what not.

Comment

• Oh, that movie was to Japanese history what Braveheart was to Scottish history. Entertaining, but historically inaccurate.

Yes, daimyo rebelled against the Emperor after the Shogun was deposed, but... the rebels had significant modern arms and, while they fought bravely, it wasn't much of a contest. The battles resembled a typical 19th Century battle. There was no American hero involved.
                  TTFN

Comment

• What? A movie historically inaccurate? Say it ain't so! Next you'll say U-571 wasn't accurate either.

I wasn't commenting on the accuracy of the Last Samurai; I was just pointing out that there's been a Tom Cruise movie about Samurai, but no Tom Cruise movie about Knights. Therefore Knights win on the cinematic front.

Comment

What? A movie historically inaccurate? Say it ain't so! Next you'll say U-571 wasn't accurate either.

I wasn't commenting on the accuracy of the Last Samurai; I was just pointing out that there's been a Tom Cruise movie about Samurai, but no Tom Cruise movie about Knights. Therefore Knights win on the cinematic front.
                      Hold on a minute! There was that Richard Gere, Sean Connery atrocity called "First Knight". Watch that and then get back to me on which is the worse movie.

Comment

• It isn't the fact that the movie was bad; it was kind of entertaining. It's because it has Tom Cruise. Since Sean Connery > Richard Gere + Tom Cruise so that still puts Knights ahead on this one, even with Richard Gere dragging it down. Plus I'll take a guy who's wacko over an established religion to scientology.

I submit this as proof

Trebek: Let's just go to final Jeopardy; the category is... Oh come on! Why would they do this? The category is..."Famous Mothers".

Connery: Ha-ha-ha! My day has come!
                        Last edited by Tankboy; 11 Dec 07, 16:58.

Comment

• Oh, gotcha.
                          TTFN

Comment

• Further Proof Trebek: Sean Connery is in second place with negative six-thousand five-hundred dollars.
                            Connery: Only on account of villainy!
                            Trebek: Look Mr. Connery why don't you pick.
                            Connery: This must be my lucky day, I'll take "The Rapists" for two hundred.

Seriously though, this has probably been said before, but what specifics are we using? Mailed Knight vs. Whatever kind of Samurai; a unit of Knights vs. a group of Samurai; etc...I'd suspect at different times the balance would tip for either said.

Comment

Further Proof Trebek: Sean Connery is in second place with negative six-thousand five-hundred dollars.
                              Connery: Only on account of villainy!
                              Trebek: Look Mr. Connery why don't you pick.
                              Connery: This must be my lucky day, I'll take "The Rapists" for two hundred.

Seriously though, this has probably been said before, but what specifics are we using? Mailed Knight vs. Whatever kind of Samurai; a unit of Knights vs. a group of Samurai; etc...I'd suspect at different times the balance would tip for either said.

Read the thread.
                              Okay, I watched them all and so now what's the point?

Earlier you said that this had gone stereotype and went ninja. Well, no it didn't. And besides, ninja aren't samurai. Completely different subject.

So catch up and add something useful.

Comment

• R. Evans, I couldn't even watch an hour of First Knight. blech is right.
                                TTFN

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X