Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Rifles

Any one into air rifles?

I have been looking at getting an air rifle for light target and rabbit use.

I'd like to stay under $200, maybe a little more.

From what I've seen so far the .22 looks like the best bet.

Most of the rifles I've seen that get good reviews, get bad reviews for the included scopes.

Any thoughts?
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
    Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

I don't hunt, but I do own this:

http://www.crosman.com/airguns/benja...s/benjamin-392

Less than $200 when my wife bought it for me. I just plink with it, but it seems to have quite a bit of power. I can't comment on accuracy, because we all know a gun is only as accurate as the firer, and I don't get enough practice shooting.
    The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

There is some beautiful stuff on the market but why in the world are the putting silencers on them, that's absurd.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
      --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

Originally posted by Hida Akechi View Post
        I don't hunt, but I do own this:

http://www.crosman.com/airguns/benja...s/benjamin-392

Less than $200 when my wife bought it for me. I just plink with it, but it seems to have quite a bit of power. I can't comment on accuracy, because we all know a gun is only as accurate as the firer, and I don't get enough practice shooting.
        I'll mostly target shoot. Those older style Crossman are classics.
        "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
        Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
          There is some beautiful stuff on the market but why in the world are the putting silencers on them, that's absurd.
          Some of the spring rifles can be loud. That Can be a big deal in the suburbs.

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
            At lot of the good GAMO Air Rifles have pellet velocities well above the speed of sound, which is, 1,125 ft./sec.
            https://www.gamousa.com/rifles.aspx

The silencer helps reduce the "crack" of the supersonic shock wave. For subsonic pellets, I don't think the silencer will do much as the action is probably as loud as the pellet.

I have a GAMO Bone Collector, 1250 ft/sec, and it's a hoot to shoot!
            Battles are dangerous affairs... Wang Hsi

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate-Drakk View Post
              At lot of the good GAMO Air Rifles have pellet velocities well above the speed of sound, which is, 1,125 ft./sec.
              https://www.gamousa.com/rifles.aspx

The silencer helps reduce the "crack" of the supersonic shock wave. For subsonic pellets, I don't think the silencer will do much as the action is probably as loud as the pellet.

I have a GAMO Bone Collector, 1250 ft/sec, and it's a hoot to shoot!
              Since sound is generated by shockwave caused bt the supersonic transit of the round through the air after it has left the barrel how does the silencer help? The heavily silenced Welrod used by SOE fired a bullet that ravelled sub sonic for this very reason.
              Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
              Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                Since sound is generated by shockwave caused bt the supersonic transit of the round through the air after it has left the barrel how does the silencer help? The heavily silenced Welrod used by SOE fired a bullet that ravelled sub sonic for this very reason.
                It reduces the rapid expansion of the air as it goes from a compressed state inside the barrel, to ambient pressure which creates a report.

Comment

I have a Feinwerkbau, it's a work of art.

My worst jump story:
                  My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                  As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                  No lie.

~
                  "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                  -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
                    I have a Feinwerkbau, it's a work of art.

Nice!

Comment

Pneumatic so you don't have to break your position.

Nice!
                      My worst jump story:
                      My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                      As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                      No lie.

~
                      "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                      -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

I have a Ruger Blackhawk Combo air rifle, $99 from Amazon including scope.

Single shot, manually cocked.

I got it to shoot squirrels who were breaking into my attic; I didn't want to use a .22 for fear of chipping the bricks.

It dropped the little bast*rds in their tracks.
                        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

It reduces the rapid expansion of the air as it goes from a compressed state inside the barrel, to ambient pressure which creates a report.
                          Which has absolutely nothing to do with the diference between a supersonic round and a sub sonic one. A silencer can do nothing about the sonic
                          shock wave of a supersonic round.
                          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                          Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                            Which has absolutely nothing to do with the diference between a supersonic round and a sub sonic one. A silencer can do nothing about the sonic
                            shock wave of a supersonic round.
                            The compression wave pushing the round out of the barrel is also supersonic (as it leaves the barrel). The projectile can't move faster than the thing pushing it...

Comment

The compression wave pushing the round out of the barrel is also supersonic (as it leaves the barrel). The projectile can't move faster than the thing pushing it...
                              Don't feed the troll.
                              Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X