Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of melee weapon would people carry today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWAMPFOX
    replied
    a good weapon that's quick is a dog walking chain with a good heavy strap that won't break.they are about three feet long and easily fit into your back jean pocket and you leave the some of the strap sticking out your pocket.it deploys as you whip it out and its damn quick.before someone realizes it they have it upside their friggen noggin and it will put them down.
    I have carried one for years,especially in bars and whatnot.its legal and easily concealable and its quick and works!

Leave a comment:

• 101combatvet
    replied
    Originally posted by Frtigern View Post
    Suck if you missed. Also, more classified as a ranged weapon and thus disqualified.
    Well, you don't miss.

Leave a comment:

• Frtigern
    replied
    Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
    Suck if you missed. Also, more classified as a ranged weapon and thus disqualified.

Leave a comment:

• GCoyote
    replied
    Originally posted by DARKPLACE View Post
    Ahh the knife gun. For people who cant make their minds up about bringing a knife to a gun fight.
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight, you have not planned it properly. "

Leave a comment:

• DARKPLACE
    replied
    Or for those just afraid of owning a gun.
    Those loud noises are dreadfully rough.

Leave a comment:

• 101combatvet
    replied
    Originally posted by DARKPLACE View Post
    Ahh the knife gun. For people who cant make their minds up about bringing a knife to a gun fight.
    Or for those just afraid of owning a gun.

Leave a comment:

• DARKPLACE
    replied

Leave a comment:

• 101combatvet
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DARKPLACE
    replied
    Originally posted by Selous View Post
    Strangely it's the staff which probably sees most modern usage in pub fights; in its modern, tapered form; the pool/snooker cue!
    They break if you go at it with it gripped by the pointy end.

Leave a comment:

• Kendoka Girl
    replied
    Yeah a'right
    Whilst some may be romanticizing close quarters fighting, for me the thread has shown some interesting ideas - taken as a thought exercise in the function and appropriateness of hand-to-hand weapons this is a reasonably good thread, with an interesting subtext on the utility of weapons and learning to use them; evidenced by KendokaGirl and TacCovert's discussion. This is still interesting practical discussion for history, despite the far-fetched nature of the original premise - so I don't think it's silly. We get a lot worse in the Alternate History section. For folk practicing martial arts it's a friendly if informal way of sharing thoughts on how useful our weapons skills might be in real situations (that answer may be 'not at all' but it's still interesting chatter)
    I'm quite a ficaholic so I enjoy discussing alternative world ideas. Also, I think that any discussion of history has alternatives, inspiration, and interpretation and I think we are doing just that. Plus, what the heck, if it's not inappropriate and it's fun, why not explore and poke around a little?

Kashira or tsukagashira are both correct.

A staff/cane/walking stick would probably be one of the best modern melee weapons as it's so unobtrusive.

Leave a comment:

• Selous
    replied
    Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
    And there is the ol' reliable; the Staff.
    Hell, you can find a broomstick or something like it just about anywhere. Knowing a few good moves with one of those might just be a lifesaver.
    Strangely it's the staff which probably sees most modern usage in pub fights; in its modern, tapered form; the pool/snooker cue!

Leave a comment:

• The Exorcist
    replied
    Limited training myself, I'd have to stick with what I know- Rapier.

But, Bolas always interested me. If there was a sort that could be used to both take a good whack at somebody and also be thrown accurately, I'd have to take a good look at it.

And there is the ol' reliable; the Staff.
    Hell, you can find a broomstick or something like it just about anywhere. Knowing a few good moves with one of those might just be a lifesaver.

Leave a comment:

• Charles C
    replied
    Originally posted by Rojik View Post
    Sure I was being a bit glib, but tbh unless I have to go to the next town (40 odd kms away), I don't need a car to do whatever I have to do. 20 minutes of walking will do all of my town, and then some. I could go horse if I really wanted to. It would have some inconveniences but it would also have some advantages.

Also there is a law still in effect that if I go to a public bar then they are responsible for feeding and stabling my horse. I have no doubt that they'd fall off their stools when I insisted on them undertaking their legal obligations because they wouldn't have had to deal with that in 80 odd years, but with a pointy bit of steel and the law on my side they'd soon come to the party. I could always go to the local for lunch each day and let them feed my warhorse.
    Hahahaha

Leave a comment:

• Rojik
    replied
    Originally posted by Michele View Post
    I think you are making my point. The OP said that everything else remains the same, so you would still be carrying those books, plus all that steel. The poster having to house, feed, care of a cavalry horse would still also have his car to fuel and maintain. And so on.
    Sure I was being a bit glib, but tbh unless I have to go to the next town (40 odd kms away), I don't need a car to do whatever I have to do. 20 minutes of walking will do all of my town, and then some. I could go horse if I really wanted to. It would have some inconveniences but it would also have some advantages.

Also there is a law still in effect that if I go to a public bar then they are responsible for feeding and stabling my horse. I have no doubt that they'd fall off their stools when I insisted on them undertaking their legal obligations because they wouldn't have had to deal with that in 80 odd years, but with a pointy bit of steel and the law on my side they'd soon come to the party. I could always go to the local for lunch each day and let them feed my warhorse.

Leave a comment:

• lcm1
    replied
    Yeah a'right
    Whilst some may be romanticizing close quarters fighting, for me the thread has shown some interesting ideas - taken as a thought exercise in the function and appropriateness of hand-to-hand weapons this is a reasonably good thread, with an interesting subtext on the utility of weapons and learning to use them; evidenced by KendokaGirl and TacCovert's discussion. This is still interesting practical discussion for history, despite the far-fetched nature of the original premise - so I don't think it's silly. We get a lot worse in the Alternate History section. For folk practicing martial arts it's a friendly if informal way of sharing thoughts on how useful our weapons skills might be in real situations (that answer may be 'not at all' but it's still interesting chatter)
    Yes, OK,and I go along with you about alternate History,if ever there was a God forsaken waste of time it is that! Don't take too much notice of me,I must be getting old. lcm1

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X