Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of melee weapon would people carry today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Selous View Post
    I am surprised; the third move there in that video I am acquainted with as part of our own seated sword-work with the WJJF.

I thought I'd also show the standing sword kata;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7oZsnsH7l0
    I like the dual gyakudesa cuts (upward diagonal) as well as the use of personal weapons on that. I take it the initial move is a weapon retention technique? (using a spin of the tsuka to dislodge an attempt to take your weapon)

There's one that I'll post later that shows the practitioner bringing the tip to bear at close to 0 range. One big advantage of the weapon/art is that you can attack with little delay 360 degrees around you.
    TTFN

Comment

Originally posted by mconrad View Post
      Reminds me of an account by someone in OEF who had to make a slow kill, face to face at a distance of inches. What he mentioned was that, at least in this case, death has bad breath.
      Good one mc!! lcm1 (Ken)
      'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
      " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Then climb down from your cloud and explain where we lesser mortals are going wrong with it then. So far you've just said it's silly, without any explanation as to why you think that.

You never got back to Fritgern

Or me;

So what's up?
        He has got my answer Sea louse,good enough???
        'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Originally posted by lcm1 View Post
          He has got my answer Sea louse,good enough???
          Yeah a'right
          Whilst some may be romanticizing close quarters fighting, for me the thread has shown some interesting ideas - taken as a thought exercise in the function and appropriateness of hand-to-hand weapons this is a reasonably good thread, with an interesting subtext on the utility of weapons and learning to use them; evidenced by KendokaGirl and TacCovert's discussion. This is still interesting practical discussion for history, despite the far-fetched nature of the original premise - so I don't think it's silly. We get a lot worse in the Alternate History section. For folk practicing martial arts it's a friendly if informal way of sharing thoughts on how useful our weapons skills might be in real situations (that answer may be 'not at all' but it's still interesting chatter)
          ------
          'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Kendoka Girl View Post
            I like the dual gyakudesa cuts (upward diagonal) as well as the use of personal weapons on that. I take it the initial move is a weapon retention technique? (using a spin of the tsuka to dislodge an attempt to take your weapon)
            Correct; the opening move is to 'lock' briefly the wrist of someone making a grab for your hilt; then flick away their arm with that down-ward movement, extend the kashira(the but-cap?) into their face or chest and draw-cut across their chest.
            ------
            'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Yeah a'right
              Whilst some may be romanticizing close quarters fighting, for me the thread has shown some interesting ideas - taken as a thought exercise in the function and appropriateness of hand-to-hand weapons this is a reasonably good thread, with an interesting subtext on the utility of weapons and learning to use them; evidenced by KendokaGirl and TacCovert's discussion. This is still interesting practical discussion for history, despite the far-fetched nature of the original premise - so I don't think it's silly. We get a lot worse in the Alternate History section. For folk practicing martial arts it's a friendly if informal way of sharing thoughts on how useful our weapons skills might be in real situations (that answer may be 'not at all' but it's still interesting chatter)
              Yes, OK,and I go along with you about alternate History,if ever there was a God forsaken waste of time it is that! Don't take too much notice of me,I must be getting old. lcm1
              'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Originally posted by Michele View Post
                I think you are making my point. The OP said that everything else remains the same, so you would still be carrying those books, plus all that steel. The poster having to house, feed, care of a cavalry horse would still also have his car to fuel and maintain. And so on.
                Sure I was being a bit glib, but tbh unless I have to go to the next town (40 odd kms away), I don't need a car to do whatever I have to do. 20 minutes of walking will do all of my town, and then some. I could go horse if I really wanted to. It would have some inconveniences but it would also have some advantages.

Also there is a law still in effect that if I go to a public bar then they are responsible for feeding and stabling my horse. I have no doubt that they'd fall off their stools when I insisted on them undertaking their legal obligations because they wouldn't have had to deal with that in 80 odd years, but with a pointy bit of steel and the law on my side they'd soon come to the party. I could always go to the local for lunch each day and let them feed my warhorse.
                Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Originally posted by Rojik View Post
                  Sure I was being a bit glib, but tbh unless I have to go to the next town (40 odd kms away), I don't need a car to do whatever I have to do. 20 minutes of walking will do all of my town, and then some. I could go horse if I really wanted to. It would have some inconveniences but it would also have some advantages.

Also there is a law still in effect that if I go to a public bar then they are responsible for feeding and stabling my horse. I have no doubt that they'd fall off their stools when I insisted on them undertaking their legal obligations because they wouldn't have had to deal with that in 80 odd years, but with a pointy bit of steel and the law on my side they'd soon come to the party. I could always go to the local for lunch each day and let them feed my warhorse.
                  Hahahaha

Comment

Limited training myself, I'd have to stick with what I know- Rapier.

But, Bolas always interested me. If there was a sort that could be used to both take a good whack at somebody and also be thrown accurately, I'd have to take a good look at it.

And there is the ol' reliable; the Staff.
                    Hell, you can find a broomstick or something like it just about anywhere. Knowing a few good moves with one of those might just be a lifesaver.
                    "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                      And there is the ol' reliable; the Staff.
                      Hell, you can find a broomstick or something like it just about anywhere. Knowing a few good moves with one of those might just be a lifesaver.
                      Strangely it's the staff which probably sees most modern usage in pub fights; in its modern, tapered form; the pool/snooker cue!
                      ------

Comment

Yeah a'right
                        I'm quite a ficaholic so I enjoy discussing alternative world ideas. Also, I think that any discussion of history has alternatives, inspiration, and interpretation and I think we are doing just that. Plus, what the heck, if it's not inappropriate and it's fun, why not explore and poke around a little?

Kashira or tsukagashira are both correct.

A staff/cane/walking stick would probably be one of the best modern melee weapons as it's so unobtrusive.
                        TTFN

Comment

Strangely it's the staff which probably sees most modern usage in pub fights; in its modern, tapered form; the pool/snooker cue!
                          They break if you go at it with it gripped by the pointy end.
                          "Sometimes its better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness" T Pratchett

Comment

My worst jump story:
                            My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                            As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                            No lie.

~
                            "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                            -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
                              Ahh the knife gun. For people who cant make their minds up about bringing a knife to a gun fight.
                              "Sometimes its better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness" T Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by DARKPLACE View Post
                                Ahh the knife gun. For people who cant make their minds up about bringing a knife to a gun fight.
                                Or for those just afraid of owning a gun.
                                My worst jump story:
                                My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                                As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                                No lie.

~
                                "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                                -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X