Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of melee weapon would people carry today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd use the ones I already own and know how to use, swords, knives, and tomahawk.
    BoRG
    "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

Originally posted by Arthwys View Post
      I'd use the ones I already own and know how to use, swords, knives, and tomahawk.
      That's quite a lot.
      The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] needs YOUR HELP NOW HERE!

Comment

If everything in life is left unchanged, then I'd carry what I carry now, i.e. no weapon at all. Why on earth should I burden myself with a knife, if the likelihood of ever having to use it is the same as in my actual life now?

That said, assuming that it was a matter of cultural distinction/identity, i.e., that I would "look bad" if I didn't carry a weapon, something like the Yemeni men and their curved knives, then of course I would carry the one giving me the least inconvenience. The lightest, smallest version of the popular weapon in my culture, wore prominently on my belt for that cultural purpose, probably a small knife. If I really had to, then I'd choose something that would be useful as a tool, too, the simplified, small version of a Swiss Army knife that I carry when I'm out in the mountains.
        Michele

Comment

Originally posted by Selous View Post
          Well...no - if you manage to put 50,000 volts into someone then they're going to be incapacitated.

Hold the taser, like a pistol, to someone and they MIGHT be able to use disarming techniques or locks to neutralise that threat but by its nature tasers and pepper spray give a ranged advantage and an electrical/chem kick to overcome skill and strength.
          I like the idea of incapacitating the other fellow. I am thinking of an Electro-Halberd. I have at least had some experience with a Halberd from my very brief SCA days, and I would have the current on a trigger, and put some fine metal wire 'whiskers' protruding say 6 inches from the head to carry the current, basically the parrying action would earth the opponents sword, so much the better if the whiskers brush his body. Also, I'd mount a Class 4* laser on it as well, if I can even temporarily blind or dazzle my opponent,as he approaches me, so much the better. Anything to get the split second advantage I need to kill him with my Halberd or Vamoose.

*http://www.laserpointersafety.com/cl...2010alert.html
          One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions - Admiral Grace Hopper

"The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity."
          Wu Cheng'en Monkey

Comment

Originally posted by Chukka View Post
            I like the idea of incapacitating the other fellow. I am thinking of an Electro-Halberd. I have at least had some experience with a Halberd from my very brief SCA days, and I would have the current on a trigger, and put some fine metal wire 'whiskers' protruding say 6 inches from the head to carry the current, basically the parrying action would earth the opponents sword, so much the better if the whiskers brush his body. Also, I'd mount a Class 4* laser on it as well, if I can even temporarily blind or dazzle my opponent,as he approaches me, so much the better. Anything to get the split second advantage I need to kill him with my Halberd or Vamoose.
            So you take the weight and length of a polearm with a hefty head, and add the weight of a stunner, its battery, wires, a laser and its battery.
            Well, if you know you are going to war, a good choice. Now, for everyday use?
            Michele

Comment

With a rise of melee weapons culture I suspect that, as in history, there would be prohibitions on such tricks - 'unfair' advantages, such as swords being over a certain length, and so on were outlawed.

This is because swordsmanship usually went hand-in-hand with some kind of 'code of honour'

This would not necessarily apply to encountering badmash in dark allies, but for duelling - it certainly would - every historical case examples that.

Fashioning such a system onto a 'modern' context is difficult because our societies are structure differently to what they were in olden times, however, so it one could not fashion, perhaps, such rules to differentiate between;
              defending oneself against bandits/thugs
              engaging a fellow in a contest of arms for the sake of satisfaction.

Codes of what was allowed or not were carried by a culture of shame and legal prosecution of offenders.
              ------
              'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

With a rise of melee weapons culture I suspect that, as in history, there would be prohibitions on such tricks - 'unfair' advantages, such as swords being over a certain length, and so on were outlawed.

This is because swordsmanship usually went hand-in-hand with some kind of 'code of honour'

This would not necessarily apply to encountering badmash in dark allies, but for duelling - it certainly would - every historical case examples that.

Fashioning such a system onto a 'modern' context is difficult because our societies are structure differently to what they were in olden times, however, so it one could not fashion, perhaps, such rules to differentiate between;

Codes of what was allowed or not were carried by a culture of shame and legal prosecution of offenders.
                But why? Why do the physically tough Bullies and Jocks get to rule the roost. Whats so wrong about being smart?

We need to get to the heart of an important question,

What is Honor?
                One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions - Admiral Grace Hopper

"The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity."
                Wu Cheng'en Monkey

Comment

Light sabre - simples!!!

OK....too far, Mace I think and not the spray in the can, the flanged, footman's mace....simply 'cos I think they are cool and I wanted to respond differently to a sword or polearm!

Comment

Probably. Just as there were matching pairs of duel pistols, there might be matching pairs of blades. Then again, if you have to deal with a thug wanting at your wallet, anything goes.

As to the smart-vs-strong issue, I think in this situation we might see more pistol-like, tubular "bows". Toy weapons exist that launch a soft ball by means of a helical spring, that can be coiled by simple muscular force. If you use a crossbow bolt and a mechanical device to multiply the user's force to coil the spring, you can probably have a one-shot ranged weapon.
                    This would not rely on gunpowder or explosives, and it would probably be the size and weight of a foldable umbrella. Additional accuracy might possibly be achieved by the same system operating in the umbrella, i.e. telescoping (in the case of the spring bow, the barrel would be telescoped).

If you add a laser targeting device, the guy coming at you with a katana or halberd will have a red dot on his chest at ten metres, a distance at which his melee weapon is useless, and you can hardly miss him. If the spring is pretty powerful, to the point that you have to load it with a mechanical device, the bolt will probably be able to get through and out his back.

I guess we do not see such a thing in widespread use today for the simple reason that we have firearms...?

In any case, even if I am wrong about the feasibility of such a design, small, relatively handy crossbows do exist.
                    Michele

Comment

I will say this again. This is for melee weapons, not ranged weapons. A laser or taser are ranged weapons, stun guns could qualify.

Comment

Originally posted by Chukka View Post
                        We need to get to the heart of an important question,

What is Honor?
                        Winning.

And in this world I'm riding a charger armed with a spear and a very sharp cavalry sword.

That's how I'm going to the supermarket.
                        Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

My first choice would be the collapsible baton. In a situation where you have a confrontation but can achieve minimal surprise you can take someone out with a "punch" (releasing the baton) to the solar plexus, throat, or chest followed by a thorough beating.
                          It is useful for parrying edged weapons but is far more portable when collapsed.

Comment

Following the OP to the letter, and being a cop, I'm going to say that my duty belt changes not at all.....to include my .45 Glock because the rest of you......it's banned, not nonexistent.

Outside of that, and presuming that the OP means that firearms are wholly nonexistent, here's what my 'duty' loadout would likely be:

Mace (because it's still there), side-handle baton (one of the best all-around designs in carbon fiber/polycarbonate/reinforced with steel), cuffs, and likely some sort of heavy knife like a Seaxe. That will cover the majority of situations, and I'd be wearing something like a jack of plates for protection under normal circumstances. In my patrol car you'd find a crossbow (maybe 2), a quarterstaff (likely of carbon fiber/polycarbonate), shield, and an arming sword (late medieval early ren style with a more narrowly profiled diamond-shaped blade). I see bills/halberds/pollaxes more as a weapon for those particularly guarding something, rather than for someone that will be getting in and out of a car on the regular.

For off-duty wear I'd go with a 26" ASP Baton, as it's steel and can take a blow or two from an edged weapon, but is still less lethal (and nothing saying our society isn't as lawsuit happy as it is in the real world)...plus it's small and light. I'd also carry a heavy knife like a Seaxe or K-Bar, which can again take a blow from a heavier weapon but is smaller, lighter, and more concealable. That's simply because everyone is unlikely to be swaggering around with big swords, and wearing one is more likely to get you dragged into a fight (and subsequent investigation and/or lawsuit), than wearing something more inobtrusive. Finally, if carrying 'heavy', I'd carry the above two, plus an Espada Ropera....or a Quarterstaff and knife + tomahawk, or an arming sword and knife/tomahawk. Emphasis on the ability to avoid a deadly confrontation, but to be able to respond to a lesser one decisively with non-lethal (well...not necessarily lethal) force to end it, and then useful deadly weapons to enable me to go lethal if need be.
                            Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Actually cops no longer have firearms at all. The only gun are locked in a bunker for defensive use against other armies. Mace is also banned along with lasers. Police departments have a choice of a primary ranged weapon as civilians could make their own. Police and military have their own smiths who make their own ranged weapons but they are only used if necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Frtigern View Post
                                I will say this again. This is for melee weapons, not ranged weapons. A laser or taser are ranged weapons, stun guns could qualify.
                                Any weapon intended for melee can be thrown, though.
                                Some are designed to be pretty efficient both in hand and when thrown (hatchets, spears), others are optimized for throwing but it would be hard to legislate that they aren't melee weapons (knives of certain designs) and you can always try throwing a sword, even though that won't be efficient.
                                Michele

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X