Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of melee weapon would people carry today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of melee weapon would people carry today?

Inspired by this:

Say the custom of carrying melee weapons like swords, axes, spears, etc was carried on to today. Let's assume that firearms were banned. Let's also assume the entire populous was educated in at least rudimentary martial arts. Everything about daily life today is unchanged, except that it was permissible for people to carry a melee weapon. Keep in mind that you're still going to the same job, utilizing the same means of transportation and encountering the same people. Nobody wears armor or carries a shield (except police and military), as it would interfere too much with daily life. What would you carry?

The police carry clubs or sticks already, but they might arm themselves with swords or a collapsible spear as everyone could carry a bladed or blunt weapon. The military would carry something along the line of a spear or staff and a sword. Secret service and federal agents may be trained in martial arts to utilize weapons to disarm somebody (Kusarigama and hook swords), or have weapons that were concealable, yet just as deadly in trained hands (Nunchaku). I would imagine that each police department would issue a standardized melee weapon, one close-in weapon and one stand-off weapon. Yet each department could have different weapons. The military would issue soldiers halberds or spears, with sword side-arms. Yet each country could have different weapons depending on tradition, martial style and preferences. Generally, the military would be issued durable melee weapons, but by no means the best. Prestigious cavalry units and special forces may be given high quality weapons (ala modern knights).

Civilians would be limited to what they could afford, and there is no ban on them purchasing any kind of melee weapon. Weapons purchases could not be made on credit. A wealthy civilian could possess far better quality weapons than police or military. A homeless person would have to start off with what could be gleaned or bought cheaply. A sharpened spear shaft, club or a crude dagger. A poor person could find a low quality spearhead, an axe or a low quality shortsword. A middle-class person could have a low quality halberd or a mediocre spear or sword. Your lifestyle, your job and your environment would dictate which weapons would you carry and how many. If your community is safe, then you could be happy to carry around a staff, which could be added on to another length with a spearhead, which is kept in the car. If your community isn't safe, then you may have a belt and scabbard on with your hand always on the hilt.

Also, what matals and materials would be best for these kinds of weapons. We have access to the whole plethora of modern materials, from plastics to carbon fiber. From stainless steel to alloys of multiple kinds of metals. Or would carbon steel still reign supreme?

As for me, I would be given a standard issue spear, carbon steel head with a one piece hardwood shaft. I would also probably be issued (if i was infantry) a carbon steel broadsword, with an ambidextrous basket hilt with no frills. If I wasn't infantry I may just be given a short sword, which would be a copy of the broadsword design but shorter and cruder. I would also be issued a shield, plywood with a canvas or vinyl covering. It would probably look a lot like a republican scutum shield. Large yet light and strong enough to resist blows. Since I'm military I would probably be wearing something like a flak jacket, yet it would be leather with metal strips woven into it. Also would be wearing a simple steel helmet, like a Spangenhelm, possibly with a mail aventail. Off-duty I could just carry my broadsword.
    The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] needs YOUR HELP NOW HERE!

Gotta think laterally here, are electro-or chemical weapons allowed. Can I just mace or zap my opponent?

Does anyone have a video of a Swordsman versus an electrode shooting Taser? Or swordsman versus capsicum spray?

My thinking here is that I want to use Brains and technology to counteract my innate lack of Hand-eye coordination and fighting ability. Apart from Running, I have always been very, very mediocre at Ball or other contact sports. That's just the cards that Mother nature dealt me. At school the Bullies, toughs and jocks always had the upper hand, except where I fought my kind of game. At a trivia Night, or knowledge based competition, I am a predator, a ruthless warrior. I fight to win at trivia nights, and I usually do win. Hence I chose my battles wisely, and I love a trivia comp but I do not play Rugby.

So, the Weenies and Unco's (nasty Australian schoolyard term for an uncordinated kid) of your world still need a chance, Hence I say we fight dirty. Can I still field my mini flamethrower? Laser blinder? Hell, Id even spray you with Mustard gas if I thought it would work.

I'm being serious here, what weapons can the Dorks, Nerds and weaklings use?
    One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions - Admiral Grace Hopper

"The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity."
    Wu Cheng'en Monkey

Comment

I’m a subscriber to those vids- they’re good for thoughtful commentary :thumbup:
      Originally posted by Frtigern View Post
      Say the custom of carrying melee weapons like swords, axes, spears, etc was carried on to today. Let's assume that firearms were banned. Let's also assume the entire populous was educated in at least rudimentary martial arts. Everything about daily life today is unchanged, except that it was permissible for people to carry a melee weapon. Keep in mind that you're still going to the same job, utilizing the same means of transportation and encountering the same people. Nobody wears armor or carries a shield (except police and military), as it would interfere too much with daily life. What would you carry?
      I don’t think you even need firearms to be banned or controlled in such a scenario – people carry knives for less-than-lethal incidents still, even where firearms are readily available. The matter of transferring from a blade, say, to a pistol, is one of escalation and societal mores – in the good old days you could carry a pistol and a sword and only use a sword to settle some matters and a pistol for others. (it probably also helped that you had one shot or two in your pistol)
      Personally I’d carry a longsword, this would not get in the way of my day-to-day unless I went shopping – and I get my groceries delivered anyway. For something a little less cumbersome,
      The police carry clubs or sticks already, but they might arm themselves with swords or a collapsible spear as everyone could carry a bladed or blunt weapon. The military would carry something along the line of a spear or staff and a sword. Secret service and federal agents may be trained in martial arts to utilize weapons to disarm somebody (Kusarigama and hook swords), or have weapons that were concealable, yet just as deadly in trained hands (Nunchaku). I would imagine that each police department would issue a standardized melee weapon, one close-in weapon and one stand-off weapon. Yet each department could have different weapons. The military would issue soldiers halberds or spears, with sword side-arms. Yet each country could have different weapons depending on tradition, martial style and preferences. Generally, the military would be issued durable melee weapons, but by no means the best. Prestigious cavalry units and special forces may be given high quality weapons (ala modern knights).
      If we’re removing firearms from even govt forces then I don’t see why they would depart from pre-powder age methods as you indicate – lances, shields etc. Policemen would look like city watches, in their gear, with either rapiers or arming swords and shields, or bill hooks. Having said that, American police forces employ tonfa batons and they can be extremely good – so far we’ve been shown how to use them against knives, other tonfa, unarmed opponents, but also there are methods, in Jujitsu, which I believe apply to the tonfa’s use against sword.
      Civilians would be limited to what they could afford, and there is no ban on them purchasing any kind of melee weapon. Weapons purchases could not be made on credit. A wealthy civilian could possess far better quality weapons than police or military. A homeless person would have to start off with what could be gleaned or bought cheaply. A sharpened spear shaft, club or a crude dagger. A poor person could find a low quality spearhead, an axe or a low quality shortsword. A middle-class person could have a low quality halberd or a mediocre spear or sword. Your lifestyle, your job and your environment would dictate which weapons would you carry and how many. If your community is safe, then you could be happy to carry around a staff, which could be added on to another length with a spearhead, which is kept in the car. If your community isn't safe, then you may have a belt and scabbard on with your hand always on the hilt.
      As with medieval times, staffs and such like would probably be quite popular amongst poorer folk. Personally I know I would have a longsword because I already do – sharp and battle quality. And this only cost about 150 notes. With modern wages there’s no reason why the average young man couldn’t have a reasonably well made sword. In a world of greater proliferation of such weapons, they would be even cheaper. In feudal Japan, and other times and places, however, limitations on sword-length and the kind of weapons carried by peasants were brought in. It’s possible that, as the Bill of Rights, states, we could only get ‘weapons according to our class’ but as you say, no limitation in this hypothetical.

Also, what matals and materials would be best for these kinds of weapons. We have access to the whole plethora of modern materials, from plastics to carbon fiber. From stainless steel to alloys of multiple kinds of metals. Or would carbon steel still reign supreme?
      Stainless steel would be unsuitable, carbon fibre though, and some plastics, could perhaps threaten carbon steel’s reign. I think you’d see more brightly coloured and modern materials in scabbards, hilt furniture etc. and the blades would remain mostly carbon steel.

As for me, I would be given a standard issue spear, carbon steel head with a one piece hardwood shaft. I would also probably be issued (if i was infantry) a carbon steel broadsword, with an ambidextrous basket hilt with no frills. If I wasn't infantry I may just be given a short sword, which would be a copy of the broadsword design but shorter and cruder.
      Like a Schivona?
      https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sc...na%3B576%3B288

As I say, I’d go for the longsword or ‘hand and a half’ which I have - http://www.theknightshop.co.uk/catal...rp-p-1965.html
      And, I’d probably be recquired to leave it at the door of certain establishments, or in my home if I’m expecting to carry loads, so for those times, a bowie style knife, tomahawk, tonfa or similar – nothing bigger than a Wakasashi or smaller than a tanto – which could be used in smaller space. If in a smaller space with my longsword, I’d half-sword----in theory!

Good idea for a thread
      ------
      'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

Its melee, meaning actual hand-to-hand combat. Mace and tazers are not considered melee weapons, more as stand-off or non-lethal ranged weapons. A stun gun maybe, but its not something that's going to help you if there is a man armed with deadly sharp blades. Flamethrower is in the same category as pepper spray, not melee. Like I said, everyone at a young age. Preferable after they have learned how to run and jump is taught the basics of martial arts. Anyone can hold a stick and whack someone with it. The challenge is finding the weapon that suits you and they are a myriad of melee weapons. It's assumed the smart people won't live in places where they will encounter dangerous folk with melee weapons. If they do, or there exist the chance encounter with said people, they will hire better trained guards to do their fighting. Another cheap strategy is just to have friends or a family that are better at melee combat to travel with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Selous View Post
          Like a Schivona?
          https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sc...na%3B576%3B288

As I say, I’d go for the longsword or ‘hand and a half’ which I have - http://www.theknightshop.co.uk/catal...rp-p-1965.html
          And, I’d probably be recquired to leave it at the door of certain establishments, or in my home if I’m expecting to carry loads, so for those times, a bowie style knife, tomahawk, tonfa or similar – nothing bigger than a Wakasashi or smaller than a tanto – which could be used in smaller space. If in a smaller space with my longsword, I’d half-sword----in theory!

Good idea for a thread
          Yes, as being military, they would probably want a sword that can both thrust and cut like the broadsword, yet as me not being infantry, just support arms, I would probably be given a short broadsword. The basket-hilt makes sense for the less-trained types, and helps those of us who aren't knights keep our hands in a duel. It shouldn't be hard to mass produce with modern techniques.

Yes, there are establishments where they allow you to bring your pistol. When you go in, you give them your pistol and they give you a ticket. Then they pat you down. If you refuse to do that, you can't come in. It will be obvious if you walked into a bar with a longsword. Checking weapons in at the door makes sense in a drinking establishment. For a bar owner it makes much more sense financially. No broken furniture, glassware, spilled liquor, insurance or legal issues to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by Frtigern View Post
            Its melee, meaning actual hand-to-hand combat. Mace and tazers are not considered melee weapons, more as stand-off or non-lethal ranged weapons. A stun gun maybe, but its not something that's going to help you if there is a man armed with deadly sharp blades. Flamethrower is in the same category as pepper spray, not melee. Like I said, everyone at a young age. Preferable after they have learned how to run and jump is taught the basics of martial arts. Anyone can hold a stick and whack someone with it. The challenge is finding the weapon that suits you and they are a myriad of melee weapons. It's assumed the smart people won't live in places where they will encounter dangerous folk with melee weapons. If they do, or there exist the chance encounter with said people, they will hire better trained guards to do their fighting. Another cheap strategy is just to have friends or a family that are better at melee combat to travel with you.
            Fair enough then, but I'm determined to find a way to cheat your rules in order to defend my life. I would like to challenge your idea that a stun gun would be useless. If I can put enough volts at arms length I could put anyone down. Can anyone out there find me a Tazer versus swordsman demonstration? I'd love to test whether or not a good martial artist on their top form can be defeated by 50,000 volts at arms length
            One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions - Admiral Grace Hopper

"The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity."
            Wu Cheng'en Monkey

Comment

After reading through these I came to the conclusion that this thread was designed for grown up children but carry on lads, little things...etc: lcm1
              'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
              " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Originally posted by lcm1 View Post
                After reading through these I came to the conclusion that this thread was designed for grown up children but carry on lads, little things...etc: lcm1
                Well, arrgaaaaah ! Pass me my Cutlass, you swabs !
                "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                Samuel Johnson.

Comment

"Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Chukka View Post
                    Fair enough then, but I'm determined to find a way to cheat your rules in order to defend my life. I would like to challenge your idea that a stun gun would be useless. If I can put enough volts at arms length I could put anyone down. Can anyone out there find me a Tazer versus swordsman demonstration? I'd love to test whether or not a good martial artist on their top form can be defeated by 50,000 volts at arms length
                    Well...no - if you manage to put 50,000 volts into someone then they're going to be incapacitated.

Hold the taser, like a pistol, to someone and they MIGHT be able to use disarming techniques or locks to neutralise that threat but by its nature tasers and pepper spray give a ranged advantage and an electrical/chem kick to overcome skill and strength.
                    ------
                    'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

But..but....I'm not growed up
                      ------

Comment

Interesting concept - I would opt for the Katana.

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Since I am still navy I would say short sword and hatchet or some kind of axe.

All so spear might be good for pulling sentry duty.

What about ranged wepaons, if so give me a crosbow. The cops may end up like the watch from discworld.
                          you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Er, huh?

Is this an alternate-timelines discussion or a post-apocalypse scenario?

I'd join in but it's a little early in the day for me.

re: the katana, possibly the most beautiful weapon ever created.
                            Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Skip

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X