Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Question for Duncan and Kendoka Girl (and any other duellists)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Question for Duncan and Kendoka Girl (and any other duellists)

I've never had the opportunity to do fencing or kendo but I've always enjoyed watching it. And I had a question for those familiar with it.

I am curious, what would you all say is the defining difference in technique and discipline between fencing and kendo? How do the two arts differ beyond the obvious difference in the weapon. Or is there much of a difference? Could the fighting techniques of kendo be applied to an epee, or vice versa?

A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Can't help you. Don't know much about Kendo I'm afraid. About fencing. I would say that it is not a way of fighting but a sport. It is guided by rules that restrict what can be done. The closest form of fencing to 'real dueling' is probably epee because the stiffer weapon limits the 'gamey' shots, such as a flick, and the entire body is a target. Also it is not restricted by right of way rules - as is necessary in foil. Foil is modelled after small sword dueling where only lethal hits are considerred - groin to throat. Epee is modelled after rapier fighting when too many important people were dying in duels and fights to the death were made illegal. So it was first blood that mattered - the entire body is a target. Saber is modeled after fighting on horseback and only touches from the waist up count - and you can score with the point or edge. However, the way it is done now it is still a matter of touching first - rather than touching without being touched as a true duel (and the few remaining Classical French instructors) would emphasise.

I think that comparing the two is kind of like comparing football and soccer. Both involve putting a ball across a goal but...

Last edited by Duncan; 11 Dec 11, 21:31.
    AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
    The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

Kendo would be more akin to "sabre" technique than "epee" technique. It's a difference in slashing versus piercing.
      "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

If my opponent has a blade, I want a firearm.

If my opponent has a stick, I want a firearm.

If my opponent has a firearm, I want the USMC.

...just my 2Ę concerning dueling.
        Skip

Comment

...boogers at three paces...
          ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
          IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Duncan and Paul sum it up very well.

One is much more a martial art; Kendo, than Fencing which is a sport, not a martial art. Historical fencing, such as I've seen displays of, which seeks to use weapons and techniques simmilar to those of the renaissance is probably the closest that fencing gets to being a martial art.
            ------
            'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X