Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selous
    replied
    For reasons outlined above, it may be best to maintain hunting discussion in this here sports section - from what little I've seen, the members group club forums don't get so much attention, which is a shame but there it is, hence my Shikari thread.

Leave a comment:

• rebpreacher
    replied
    You won't find any on my walls either. We do it for the meat also.

Leave a comment:

• D1J1
    replied
    Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
    You're not the kind of fellow who prefers his dates on the hoof, are you?

Besides, like as not you go out nowadays and come across some boozed-up a$$holes, and that ruins the whole thing for me. They're the type that'll miss their target and shoot you in the ass.
    No to the first part. I live in a rural area and have wonderful friends who are native to the place. I have not chosen to become acquainted with some of the regions more "beastly" peccadilloes.

Though in my youth I may have spent some time with a 2-legged dog or two. My memory seems to be a little hazy on what actually happened in some ba..........errrr on some occasions!

We hunt on leased land. While it is no guarantee you will be ******* proof it sure helps. If I had to hunt on public land, I simply wouldn't. It just isn't worth that much to me.

Regards,
    Dennis
    Last edited by D1J1; 07 Oct 11, 06:57.

Leave a comment:

• BigDog
    replied
    reb I gotta agree with the Admiral here, I just don't see where having some separate private club is of any real benefit. We have also had plenty of threads about hunting in the past without any BS.

As far as myself I used to hunt and fish all the time. I kinda quit fishing because I no longer had a decent spot to go, although I am probably going to start back doing that next year. I also used to hunt a bunch but am no longer in good enough physical shape to do that anymore. I may go hunting this year if I can convince some friends to drag the sucker out if I get lucky.

Leave a comment:

• rebpreacher
    replied
    Marc,its the only time I get my teenage son to shut up. It is worth it!

I'm with you, though perhaps for different reasons. I did bag a couple of fresh water trout a few years ago, though. They were worth it.

My son wants to hunt white tails. If it gets him to shut up for five consecutive minutes it may well prove worth it.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Mann III
    replied
    I play Judo twice a week. It keeps the swelling up and the energy down, thereby keeping me off the streets and out of trouble.

And it's nice to know how your body will treat you in a fight. I spent more than a decade with Kung Fu and Karate, and I tried wrestling as a kid and Aikido.

But continuous fighting on the ground is most difficult physical activity I've ever been in. I played baseball and competed in serious marching band, and I was never tired like I am after Judo.

Leave a comment:

• slick_miester
    replied
    Originally posted by D1J1 View Post
    Shut up?! Man, if you don't lay out your best lines before someone else steps in you'll never bag any tail....................wait, the 4 legged kind! OOPS! My bad!! Carry on!
    You're not the kind of fellow who prefers his dates on the hoof, are you?

Originally posted by BriteLite View Post
    It is far more difficult hunting doe with 2 legs than those with 4. IMHO
    Yeah, but the four-legged kind don't keep yapping after the deed is done. They have the good sense to just shut the up.

Originally posted by BriteLite View Post
    One uncle was nicknamed Catfish.
    He didn't pitch for the A's and Yankees, did he?

I like being outdoors, but I like sharing it more these days than I have in the past, so if I don't hunt, but instead hike or camp, I'm just as satisfied. Besides, I just can't gather the energy needed for hunting anymore. It's not exciting enough, not satisfying enough anymore. Besides, like as not you go out nowadays and come across some boozed-up a$$holes, and that ruins the whole thing for me. They're the type that'll miss their target and shoot you in the ass.

Leave a comment:

• Bwaha
    replied
    Okay fellas and lasses, what do you pack in your possibles pouch?
    http://www.kifaru.net/possibls.htm
    I do much the same as this guy but add some fishing line and hooks, also I like eggs so I crack them into a sterilized small olive jar. You can stack 8 of them up in there and pack them around just fine...

Leave a comment:

• BriteLite
    replied
    It is far more difficult hunting doe with 2 legs than those with 4. IMHO

I don't know why I don't hunt/fish anymore. My Dad taught me how. My uncles furthured my outdoor education. One uncle was nicknamed Catfish. He was renowned for his ability to catch fish. When I became old enough he showed me his methods. Limb lines, generators, 1/4 sticks, traps, noodling, slapping. You name it and he knew how. Illegal mostly.

My family hunted/fished for food. You wouldn't find mounted heads in their homes. They might nail horns above the barn door but usually they just piled them up on one of the barn side walls.

I used to hunt every weekend during season. For atime I fished every day. When I met my wife in 1986 the second thing I told her was I hunt and fish. Didn't want any issues when it was time to go. Never had a problem.

I do know why I stopped. I got caught up in my work. Salaried and management I didn't have to but I worked 7 days a week for 20 years. I was dedicated. In 2008 I stopped. It had almost killed me literally.

I have time on my hands these days. Hunting is a couple of months away. Think I'll get out my tackle box.

Leave a comment:

• D1J1
    replied
    I'm with you, though perhaps for different reasons. I did bag a couple of fresh water trout a few years ago, though. They were worth it.

My son wants to hunt white tails. If it gets him to shut up for five consecutive minutes it may well prove worth it.
    Shut up?! Man, if you don't lay out your best lines before someone else steps in you'll never bag any tail....................wait, the 4 legged kind! OOPS! My bad!! Carry on!

Regards,
    Dennis

Leave a comment:

• slick_miester
    replied
    Originally posted by D1J1 View Post
    I hunt and fish, but I am not nearly, even remotely as serious about it as I used to be. Today the social aspects of camp far outweigh the taking of game or fish.

I appreciate the time I spend in the activities, but because of the friends I share them with or the time I am in nature. Ballistics, barometric pressure, wind, temperature, water temperature and so on are all things of the past. Today I worry more about making sure the camp is prepped, that the fire is kept up in the stove, and that I don't get cold and wet at the same time.

Probably not a philosophy very conducive to the type of debate you want.

Regards,
    Dennis

Leave a comment:

• rebpreacher
    replied
    I agree with barometric pressure,yup. I just figured if we took it off board some who don't like or agree with what we do wouldn't be offended

Leave a comment:

• D1J1
    replied
    I hunt and fish, but I am not nearly, even remotely as serious about it as I used to be. Today the social aspects of camp far outweigh the taking of game or fish.

I appreciate the time I spend in the activities, but because of the friends I share them with or the time I am in nature. Ballistics, barometric pressure, wind, temperature, water temperature and so on are all things of the past. Today I worry more about making sure the camp is prepped, that the fire is kept up in the stove, and that I don't get cold and wet at the same time.

Probably not a philosophy very conducive to the type of debate you want.

Regards,
    Dennis

Leave a comment:

• Admiral
    replied
    Enh, is not an entire Sports sub-Forum far more conducive, supportive & functionally more likely to be looked into by folks from across the whole community, than a social club which a vast majority of folks don't even peruse often at all?

Don't get me wrong, just thinking from what I've seen combined with what the most basic primary beauties of a Community such as these forums have demonstratedly proven themselves to be over many years. In as far as I've seen since the Social Clubs became an option that we chose to use, they seem to be great for various game functions that need a bit of division among players such as to plan, formulate, even coordinate in the actual Game played out in the Community overall. Political compatriots seem to like to get together away from the community on occasion & I'm sure there are many things for which they seem quite nice for, but why even have a Sports Forum, if folks instead just take it to a much more private and/or off the far more well traveled path of folks in the community - new members & old alike? Why have a non-specific Revolutionary War club where a few folks might talk about things for some time, but where the vast majority of folks with an interest will seldom ever see or venture too with any frequency once the 'new' of it so much out of sight has worn off.

I guess what I'm thinking is that it is almost a bigger waste - than anything - when real good Threads/Conversations are missed, not exposed to their fullest potential of finding interest, or not even sought by so many because it just isn't seen out in the community overall. The greatest strength that ACG has always had over so many other 'towns' on the cyber-highway is that it has always been a Community, not an exclusive Country Club, or Gated Community through which so many different portals exist & one must pass into entire Neighbourhoods with redundant Clubs most will never notice on their own.

Consider how much more discussion can/does occur & is potentially possible when the discussion is simply walked into by anybody walking down any given street in any given Forum Neighbourhood because the discussion is allowed to occur & is easily seen/found/tracked over time by those so interested in it. I guess all I'm saying is that creating a Club all about Sports might - for a time - attract the more serious Fans, but in the end, all of the conversations within the club will be seen & continually sought by few as compared to the vastly greater number of folks that would chime in as a natural function of simply encountering & seeing something within the open community & its already broad neighbourhoods.

Just me tinkin as a community member - NOT Staff - nothin more, mates.

That said, as a member of Staff, I can only say that there will likely come a time where some Clubs that have obviously run their course may be pruned. It isn't technically possible to convert Club discussions into threads. That won't happen if they are obviously a component of some specific forums game, adventure, or non-historical Forums topic that is still active, but, in the end, nothing in them would be subject to such a thing if they are already within the forums community in the 1st place where far greater potential for more folks in a discussion would occur in the vast majority of cases.

Wes
    Last edited by Admiral; 03 Oct 11, 17:06.

Leave a comment:

• rebpreacher
    started a topic How 'bout it sportsmen and women

How 'bout it sportsmen and women

How many of you hunt,fish,shoot,enjoy the outdoors? I'm considering starting a Sports-persons social group,where we can talk hunting,fishing and the like.
    If you're interested,and I bet Selous is. Talk to me-let me know how you feel.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X