Announcement

Collapse

New Site - PLEASE READ

Hello All,
My name is Ashley and I am the one that moved the forum to its new hosting location. This was done for security reasons and try to keep the forum from going down every other day. I understand that the new forum looks very different from the old one but I promise almost everything you had before you still have it might just be in a different place.

Items that are gone due to a limitation of the new hosting/ forum update:
- Awards
- Flags

As I was going thought your posts I was able to fix a lot fo the issues you were listing. Below is kind of a running list of issues an what is fixed and what I am still working on.

Items that I have fixed from your comments:
- Smilie are now working.
- Color/Theme changes
- Signature are now showing up. (Here is how to edit them https://screencast.com/t/OJHzzhiV1)
- Ranking is now showing up.
- Private messaging is now working.

Some issues I am still working on are:
- Missing items from the Calendar
- Like button the posts is giving an error.

One other note I have seen a lot is theme/color related items. I know this is important to all of you but at the moment the most important thing was getting you back a functioning forum with as many features I can get you back from before.

Theme/color is something we can change but it the moment I do not have the time and resources to fix all of the issue and design the site. I did do some theme updates yesterday but it is very time consuming. Please just be patient with the forum as we get it back to as close as I can to what you had before.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know in the post below. Please give me as much detail as possible .
https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/forum/world-history-group-welcomes-you/armchair-general-magazine/5034776-new-site-please-read
See more
See less

WW2 maps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi

First of all thanks for the all the maps you make available Goran W, please keep going, your efforts are much appreciated,

I was wondering if anyone knows where I could get hold of copies of three Mid 1940's War Department GSGS 4249 series 1:100000 scale maps of Northern France covering from the Somme to the Seine?

Specifically after maps 9D Abbeville - Dieppe, 9E Neufchatel - Rouen and 8E Le Harve - Pont Audemer

Or equivalent French 1930's Michelin maps of that area?

Yes I have Googled and not found much for that area/timeframe

Thanks in advance
    KRO

Comment

• Hi!
      This is an interesting original map
      that I tried to scan.
      Ostfront.
      Gen. St. Karte 9 Armee 15-9-43.
      One day after( the 16.9 ) the Germans left Brjansk.
      At my site.
      GoranW
      Last edited by goranw; 11 Jan 10, 12:16.

Comment

• Hi!
        To Leclerc44.
        Have uploaded the NW part of the german military map y56 Gshatsk
        scale 1: 300 000 on my site at www.mannaberg.se
        Have not found Baklanovo but Tschainikowo( Chajnikovo)
        in the 3rd field 66-00 66-10 near the 56 deg line.
        Regards,
        Goran
        Last edited by goranw; 19 Jan 10, 04:25.

Comment

• Hello,

Goranw nice job you doing here,
          I would like a favor, a few years ago you uploaded a U 58 area Pleskau (Pskow) from T 58-U 56 Walk-DŁnaburg scale 1: 300 000 please upload it again. I am also interested in Deutsche Lagekarten 1943-45 Ostfront, Lage Ost ab 44 8 19 1:1000000 Opk Ost Blatt1.

thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by Eluka View Post
            Hello,

Goranw nice job you doing here,
            I would like a favor, a few years ago you uploaded a U 58 area Pleskau (Pskow) from T 58-U 56 Walk-DŁnaburg scale 1: 300 000 please upload it again. I am also interested in Deutsche Lagekarten 1943-45 Ostfront, Lage Ost ab 44 8 19 1:1000000 Opk Ost Blatt1.

thanks
            Hi!
            U 58 area and Lage Ost -Operationskarte 1+2 19/8.
            To get the Lage Ost map go to the link;
            http://www.gutenberg-e.org/esk01/frames/fesk05.html
            (click on "maps")
            Regards,
            Goran
            Last edited by goranw; 29 Mar 10, 01:43.

Comment

• Thank you very much!

Comment

• German maps for Poland 1939

Hello,
                Does anyone know where to find 1:100,000 scale maps for Poland for the Premzyl to Lvov (Lemburg) area, including Janow Woods and Sadow Wisnia, as used by German forces of the 14th Army? I have 1:100,000 ones from the Polish Military History Institute.

If the maps contain locations and/or movement symbols of 1st Gebirgs, 2nd Gebirgs, SS Germania, III/109th Artillery, 7th Infantry and 45th Infantry Divisions, so much the better.

Thanks
                RedDagger18

Comment

• Just to let you all know there are a couple of great WW2 atlas

This one is of Europe
                  http://www.amazon.com/West-Point-Atl...5492479&sr=8-2

This one is of the Pacific.
                  http://www.amazon.com/West-Point-Atl...5492654&sr=1-1
                  In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes
                  - Benjamin Franklin, U.S. statesman, author, and scientist

Comment

• Poland 1939 Maps from German viewpoint

Hello,
                    Thanks for the info. I do have that set in hard cover. But don't think that meets my needs. I am talking about 1:100,000 or even 1:50,000, which really gets into the topographic details.

I would like to find something that perhaps had served as the battle maps of commanders and tactical command posts in the 1st and 2nd Mountain, or the 7th and 45th Infantry divisions, even SS Germania Motorized Infantry or IIId Bn/109th Artillery Regiments. And [I can wish for miracles] maybe even with still visible greasepencil or colored pencil markings show German units and movements during the campaign in Sep 1939. (I have an overlay that my Dad brought back from Italy in 1945 that still has color and markings for German unit movements around an area near Rome.)

As I said the Polish Mil His Inst sent me photo copies at 1:100,000 scale that provided much information my research project back in the late 1990's
                    RedDagger18

Comment

• Originally posted by RedDagger18 View Post
                      Hello,
                      Thanks for the info. I do have that set in hard cover. But don't think that meets my needs. I am talking about 1:100,000 or even 1:50,000, which really gets into the topographic details.

I would like to find something that perhaps had served as the battle maps of commanders and tactical command posts in the 1st and 2nd Mountain, or the 7th and 45th Infantry divisions, even SS Germania Motorized Infantry or IIId Bn/109th Artillery Regiments. And [I can wish for miracles] maybe even with still visible greasepencil or colored pencil markings show German units and movements during the campaign in Sep 1939. (I have an overlay that my Dad brought back from Italy in 1945 that still has color and markings for German unit movements around an area near Rome.)

As I said the Polish Mil His Inst sent me photo copies at 1:100,000 scale that provided much information my research project back in the late 1990's
                      RedDagger18
                      Hi Red Dagger 18

Did you know that many of the WIG (Polish Mil His Inst) maps are available for online downloads now? the site is at http://www.mapywig.org/

Can't help with dispositions that you are after but they do have 1:25000 maps available too on this page:
                      http://english.mapywig.org/viewpage.php?page_id=6

Afraid my Polish is not good but if you look down the left hand side (very near the bottom of the table) to map ref P49 S38 you should be able to find maps of the Lwow area.

Hope that helps.

Comment

• German army would have used copies of pre-war Polish (and in border areas also Czechoslovak and Hungarian) maps prepared by Reichsamt fuer Landesaufnahme, in the form of "Grossblatt", i.e. 4 small sheets put together. By September 1939 almost all of them were black & white (or brown, in some cases), this changed to colour from 1940 onwards. They also used small copies, both black and white and in colour, although all of them would have been rather hard to read, for various reasons.
                        There was no 50K maps until mid-1944, and pre-WW2 Polish 25K maps of the area were very, very scarce anyway, plus they were inaccessible to civilians in pre-war Poland, and Germans are very unlikely to have managed to "procure" them (even for the area of Warsaw in 1939 they still used blown-up copies of Polish 100K maps). The only exception would have been Polish 25K map variant made for tourist purposes, available in Polish bookshops in 1930s, but these sheets were few and far between, maybe 30 - 40 in total (for the whole country). They were reproduced by Germans, where possible (e.g. area near Krakow) before 1939, but the originals didn't cover the area around Przemysl and Lwow anyway. You can speculate that German would have certainly had access to old, Austro-Hungarian 25K maps printed by 1918, which had covered the whole of Galizien, but whether they used them is just my speculation. Plus, in the hilly terrain, Austrian maps were generally considered unreliable / inaccurate, and hard to read (instead of contours they used "hachure" which makes it v. hard to read in the mountains), so I doubt they would have been used.

And as to finding a map which was actually used and has hand-written entries... well, the chance is very slim. I guess the best try would be to monitor ebay.de and second-hand book shops in Germany, I would imagine that (some) soldiers at least would have taken the maps home, while on leave, if there was not a very "streng verboten!" about this. But I imagine the best combination would be one of the Grossblaetter or WIG map scans together with some first-hand (hopefully) account, memoirs, report, etc. Plus, in Germany, quite a lot of army units had some kind of journal (whatever the official name) with the trail of battles, etc. I think they sprung up in early 1950s and continued in 1960. and later.

That said I have got several maps (other areas) with such comments, and I know various map collectors have such maps, so it's impossible to find them. But whether you will now or in 53 years, in Germany or in the Library of Congress, I have no idea.

Regards,

n.

Comment

• Maps

Hello, Kiwi Red One and Naltar
                          Many, many thanks to both of you for taking the interest to read and comment. Truly informative and helpful.

The project I did in 1999 culminated several years of searching for accurate information, which included enlisting the help of the US Defense Attache in Warsaw to interact with the WIG there to get the maps. And the NY Public Library had two books in Polish by participants in the Army Malopolska's fight with the SS Germania/III,109thArty in the period 13-17 September.

A Polish native who is a friend did translations for me. In fact, Louis K. turned me on to the issue, with The Thousand Hour War, a novel of the 1939 campaign. I gave a short pitch with vugraphs at the Siena College World War II symposium in 2000 and at the Society for Military History's New York Military Affairs Symposium a year later.

I'm still intrigued by the events then at Mala Ozama and Sadowa Wisznia, all locales to the west of Lvov.
                          Thanks again.
                          RedDagger18

Comment

• I read the first two books in this series without knowing anything about Poland or their part in WWII. It affected me enough that I read everything I could find on Poland, actually spent a year learning Polish, and I no longer tell Polish jokes.

Comment

• A different look at the Arctic routes.
                              Attached Files
                              Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
                              Hyperwar, Whats New
                              World War II Resources
                              The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

• Hi! I neeed luftwaffe maps of Juchnow region, or Mosalsk (Kalyzhskaya region).
                                PLIZZZZZ!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X