Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Human Population Density - 12 maps

How so many of the world’s people live in so little of its space

There are all kinds of gorgeous maps out there that show population density. Beyond the straight-forward maps that illustrate the number of people living in a given area, maps showing things like noise levels, roads or night-time lights essentially capture population density, too.

As you look at these maps, one of the most obvious and surprising takeaways is that people really aren't spread out over the Earth's territory. Most of us are jammed together in a few densely populated areas, while vast and empty ocean, forests, fields and deserts cover the rest of the Earth.

It's a simple idea, but visual explanations of this point can be striking. The 12 maps below feature different ways to illustrate how so many of the world's people live in so little of its space.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/w...business_pop_b
    Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses.
    TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
    Bock's First Law of History: The Past shapes the Present, which forms the Future. *

Gee, David - You are going to set me off singing:

https://youtu.be/-9RbWbYQ7C8

Comment

It is interesting to compare US population density to federal land holdings:

My thesis would be that the Federal government by clinging to so much land in the Western US has greatly retarded the growth of the economy by leaving that land largely unproductive.

Comment

More holes than Swiss Cheese. NE/KS as example, have little or no government land yet their rural population is lower than for a 100 years. Our two most populated states, TX and and CA are opposite in federal land ownership. Much what you seem to want to be Fed lands is in reality Indian lands in AZ/NM and the Dakotas or national parks or forest.
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Wooden Wonder View Post
          Gee, David - You are going to set me off singing:

https://youtu.be/-9RbWbYQ7C8
          See a lot of that "wide open" every Easter time when we travel back to Kalispell, Montana. Saw even more back in January when I drove the Penske helping oldest son and family move to Lincoln, Nebraska.
          Bock's First Law of History: The Past shapes the Present, which forms the Future. *

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
            It is interesting to compare US population density to federal land holdings:

My thesis would be that the Federal government by clinging to so much land in the Western US has greatly retarded the growth of the economy by leaving that land largely unproductive.
            In the case of my state, WAshington, most of that 'red' is forested mountains. While the logging industry has dwindled much in last few decades, some selective cutting still occurs, but for the most part these regions serve value as watersheds, retaining Winter snowfall to make Spring runoff to our reservoirs. They also do much to reduce our "carbon footprint" (and that of the rest of the World), a factor that seems lost to out elected lawmakers in Olympia.

Comment

Great maps andfound this quiz mixed in to the link. Have fun!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...can-landscape/

6/7
              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X