Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Map showing Polish plan of attack on Denmark and the Netherlands during Cold War.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Map showing Polish plan of attack on Denmark and the Netherlands during Cold War.

Not so long ago one of Polish military magazines printed a copy of an original map from 1970 which shows attack directions in the case of war with NATO. Of course it was top secret back then, but right now it's disclosed.

In the event of war, Polish army was expected to advance and capture Denmark, then move towards Netherlands, all with the support from the both Polish and Russian air forces, and from Russian nuclear strike. The whole operation was planned to take 6 (six) days.

Unfortunately my camera can't make a good picture of the entire map (it's not sharp), but pictures that show smaller parts of the map are in slightly better quality. If someone of you would like to see a certain part of the map not shown already, feel free to ask and I'll take appropriate photos.

My brother also has a very interesting map. When you normally look at it, it is an ordinary map showing a part of Poland. But when you look at it against the light (like at watermark), a german map of a completely different part of the Europe (Russia IIRC) can be seen, along with German notes. I do not have photos of it, but if someone would be interested, I'll try to get them.
    Sorry for my English. Fortunately I probably still speak English better than you speak Polish ;)

hi, tnx for great maps..but i wonder do you have some in higher resolution

Comment

I get the parachuutes for airborne operations, and the main axis of attack, but are the little red bombs the targets of the atomic strikes or just conventional bombing targets? Also, who made the map? It seems a bit primitive for such a strategic tool, even for the 1970s.

Comment

Some details please

The whole map looks like a map for the military games, not like a strategic map.

Could you please translate the title of the map? Some details on the map origin would be also useful.

I dont't beleive that in the 1970s there were plans to start the war and attack Europe using Polish army etc. This seems to be the map taken out of the context. And without a context it's just a hot meal for the nowadays yellow press.

Comment

Thanks for putting that up, sorry I missed it before, wow, a year ago?

Looks like a "best-case scenario" sort of thing, especially the part about raching Calais in 6 days...

What I think we are looking at is a planning tool for the follow-up units, most especially Logistics.
          One look at that thing would give the Quartermasters enough problems to solve to keep them busy for years. And once the paperwork was done, then come the practical exercises.

Comment

Aquila,

It was pretty much an open secret. The first Suvurov Book had something in it. I remember reading about it as well in some Army Trade publications.

The Polish Armed Forces were tasked with Airborne and Amphibious attacks on Denmark. The Polish Navy was geared for Ampibious warfare. The Soviet Navy bought Amphibious ships from Poland! The Soviet Forces in East Germany (along with support from the East German Army) were invading the North German Plain. The Soviet Forces in Czechoslavakia and the Czech Army were to advance across Central Germany (Fulda gap?). The Soviet Forces in Hungary (with the Hungarian Army) were tasked with taking out Austria and then driving into Southern Germany. The Bulgarians were going to take Greece. Not sure the exact plans for Turkey. It is hard to invade!

Follow on troops from Belarus and the Ukraine were to go through whatever holes were created. If the Red Army was stopped they would not get reinforced or get replacements. These were for the successful troops!

Those red bombs were designating targets for tactical nukes. Warsaw Pact and NATO planners assumed Tactical Nukes would be used before the Red Army got half way through Germany. The targets were ports and airports were reinforcements from the USA, the UK and Canada would be expected to land. they may have also reserved tactical missile arsenals for Spetsnaz attack as well. These troops did have access to "suitcase nukes " for these targets!

Pruitt
            Last edited by Pruitt; 13 Aug 12, 23:03.
            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

If I had the US equivalent, it would show my USMC units in Denmark opposing those Poles. One of my peers from that era had a photo of a pair of elderly women operating some sort of communications equipment on their front lawn. Military caps on their head and message forms on a card table with the radios or whaterver they were scattered about.

Comment

Moving troops through a nuclear blast area as indicated on this map cannot have been a very healthy idea for those involved

Even with NBC suits troops will get nauseous and incapacitated if not allowed proper rest.
                Doing map study I cannot come to another conclusion yet than that having them continue a fighting advance under such conditions,
                meant that they were intended to be sacrificed and considered a written off some days after having moved through the nuclear blast area.

Very callous way to treat Polish troops like that
                BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Sennef View Post

Very callous way to treat Polish troops like that
                  You really think it would only be the Poles? Seriously? "Hey client state with cat B export equipment - you will be the only ones attacking across the North German Plain through the British and Germans. You will have the sole responsibility of the most important sector of the attack, and we won't be using nukes anywhere else, only in your sector..."

Really?
                  Кто там?
                  Это я - Почтальон Печкин!
                  Tunis is a Carthigenian city!

Comment

Originally posted by Aquila View Post
                    In the event of war, Polish army was expected to advance and capture Denmark, then move towards Netherlands, all with the support from the both Polish and Russian air forces, and from Russian nuclear strike. The whole operation was planned to take 6 (six) days.
                    Originally posted by Stryker 19K30 View Post
                    You really think it would only be the Poles? Seriously? "Hey client state with cat B export equipment - you will be the only ones attacking across the North German Plain through the British and Germans. You will have the sole responsibility of the most important sector of the attack, and we won't be using nukes anywhere else, only in your sector..."

Really?
                    Your post gives me the feeling that you're eager to share an insight with us
                    BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

Your post was showing anger as if the Poles were the only ones to be sent through radiated areas if nuclear weapons were used. Every nationality of the Warsaw Pact would have that distinction. If it came to that anyway... one you start tossin' nukes the other side will too.
                      Кто там?
                      Это я - Почтальон Печкин!
                      Tunis is a Carthigenian city!

Comment

I suppose he means the Soviet leaders would be like Persians from that "300" movie - sending an army of "enslaved" peoples across nuclear wastelands while sitting comfortably behind their backs and watching them die with a malicious glee. All the while ethnic Russians would be going through pre-arranged nuclear-free zones and NATO soldiers would shoot blank rounds at them
                        www.histours.ru

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

Comment

Originally posted by Major Sennef View Post
                          Very callous way to treat any troops like that
                          Gentlemen,let's settle down this issue diplomatically,shall we?
                          It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge.

Косово је Србија!
                          Never go to war with a country whose national holiday celebrates a defeat in 1389.

Armored Brigade

Armored Brigade Facebook page

Comment

Originally posted by nikolas93TS View Post
                            Gentlemen,let's settle down this issue diplomatically,shall we?
                            You have all the makings of a diplomat, Nikola
                            BoRG

Comment

For Aquila:

I am a photographer in Denmark working on a series of pictures of places in Denmark, that would have come under siege, should the cold war have escalated into an actual war.

I am very interested in getting a high resolution copy of the map you have posted pictures of above, but I have not been able to find anything online.

Do you still have the magazine by any chance? I would love to either contact the publisher or even make a scan of the magazine itself.

Thank you in advance.

Emil

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X