B-17 ride

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B-17 ride

Had the chance last month to take a ride on a B-17G..the Sentimental Journey out of Mesa, AZ (CAF). From take-off to landing was about 45 minutes, which equaled to about ten dollars a minute. But rode in the radio operators seat, got to grab the waist guns and take photos. One guy was from England...all very cool. Next time the B-29 Fifi on my list.

"It is sometimes tougher to fight my superiors than the French" Heinz Guderian

Wow I'm Hugely jealous! She was up here last Summer and I crawled through her from front to back, but I never had the privilege of flying in her!

You are a lucky man and the costs be damned!
    Thanks for sharing!
    BoRG
    "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

Friend of mine took that ride last month. He thought it was well worth the $450.
      Skip

Comment

I dunno... sounds like a lot, depending on how many people were in the plane with you.
        I took a ride in a 1929 New Standard a couple of decades ago, and it was more like a dollar a minute. Pretty unconventional ride, too.
        I think I've had all the fun with airplanes I need, come to think of it. All those damn choppers in the marines gave me my fill of aviation for this lifetime, in a participatory sense.

But, that B-17 looks perfect, just amazing from wingtip to wingtip. How was it inside, and how did you enjoy your experience with 1930s technology?

Let me know when somebody gets a PT boat running again, that's a ride I'd like to try.
        "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

I tried to go out at least twice to buy a ride over the years. The weather was too bad both times. It was cool to go inside a B-17 ad a B-24 though!

Pruitt
          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

My friend said 8 or 9 paying riders. Imagine it was pretty crowded inside.

What's the hull of those things; something like 6' in diameter?
            Skip

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
              ...But, that B-17 looks perfect, just amazing from wingtip to wingtip. How was it inside?...
              She's mint from nose to tail.
              BoRG
              "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

You are one lucky person. The B-17 is the most beautiful airplane ever built.

I had a toy B-17 when I was little. It was white and could drop bombs and was a large (1:48 scale) and was built out of plastic that had play in it.

It was just beautiful.

I now have a Franklin Mint metal model of the B-17G in silver hanging over my desk. It looks like the one in the picture.

Sincerely,
                M
                We are not now that strength which in old days
                Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                  Let me know when somebody gets a PT boat running again, that's a ride I'd like to try.

You missed the raffle in 2008 in Portland, OR?

http://ussranger.org/2012/01/pt-boat...now-available/

The only functional, restored, PT boat left in the world! Operating out of Portland, Oregon.
                  "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Well gawd DAMN it... I was just there last week!

Switching internet providers was the worst idea I've had in a long time...
                    "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X