No announcement yet.

My visit to various aviation museums...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My visit to various aviation museums...

Here is the first in a series of pictures from my tour of aviation museums in Oregon and Washington. This is a spanish built Me-109 (is that the correct format?) that we saw at the Tillamook Air Museum...I will post more tomarrow, time to go to bed tonight. If someone can tell me how to post more than picture in one post, I would like to know! Otherwise I will have several posts...

My dad may be able to enhance these things digitally if anyone thinks they are to dark (lighting wasn't the best), but it will have to wait a couple weeks till we get back to our normal computers.
    Attached Files
    "In mathematics you don't understand things. You just get used to them."
    - Johann von Neumann

"Never in the face of human conflict has so much been owed by so many to so few."
    - Winston Churchill

Can't resist posting one more. This is the 2nd of 2 German planes we have seen so far (sorry Dr. S, not many German aircraft). This is a Focke Wolf (sp?), I will have the exact plane tomarrow, when I have the museum pamphlet in hand. This plane was at the Boeing Museum of Flight in Seattle.

I do remember that this is a long nose variation of the Focke Wolf...or something like that.
    Attached Files
    - Johann von Neumann

"Never in the face of human conflict has so much been owed by so many to so few."
    - Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by gobeavs
      Can't resist posting one more. This is the 2nd of 2 German planes we have seen so far (sorry Dr. S, not many German aircraft). This is a Focke Wolf (sp?), I will have the exact plane tomarrow, when I have the museum pamphlet in hand. This plane was at the Boeing Museum of Flight in Seattle.

I do remember that this is a long nose variation of the Focke Wolf...or something like that.
      The Butcher Bird!!!

Thanks for posting the pics, hope to see some more soon. I don't think you can do more than one per posting though - unless you are linking to images hosted elsewhere.

:thumb:

Dr. S.
      Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Sorry for the delay, as it is my parents vacation time right now we are not at our normal house, so I can't download the pics from the camera. Our vacation ends sunday though, so I should have them uploaded soon!
        - Johann von Neumann

- Winston Churchill

Comment

Ok, here is the first-
          This is the bottom of the wing of the Hughes Flying Boat H-4 (HK-1) Hercules, better known as the "Spruce Goose". The Spruce Goose is the largest wooden airplance in the world. It is housed in a giant building in Mcminnville, Oregon. To give you an idea of how large this thing is-

218 ft 6 1/4 inches long ~66.5 meters
          319 ft 11 inches long wingspan ~97.5 meters
          IIRC its horizontal stabilizer is the size of the the B-17's wingspan!

The pic is the underside of the wing. Given the size of the aircraft, it is hard to get any picture of the full aircraft, so we have shots of part of it . For a little size comparision, the shiny plane on the bottom is a DC-3...
          Attached Files
          - Johann von Neumann

- Winston Churchill

Comment

The pic is the underside of the wing. Given the size of the aircraft, it is hard to get any picture of the full aircraft, so we have shots of part of it . For a little size comparision, the shiny plane on the bottom is a DC-3...
            Wow...just...wow.

Dr. S.
            Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Here is a shot of the tail of the Spruce Goose. I believe at the bottom is an F-4 Phantom, but I could be wrong.
              Attached Files
              - Johann von Neumann

- Winston Churchill

Comment

Here is a pic of the SR-71 and the Spruce Goose. The SR-71 can cruise at Mach 3 and is the fastest plane on the planet. This also gives you an idea of how massive the Goose is.
                Attached Files
                - Johann von Neumann

- Winston Churchill

Comment

Yet another picture. This is from Fort Stevens, from my other thread- "Fort Stevens is a fort at the northern end of Oregon at the mouth of the Columbia River. It started out as a fort in the civil war, and was used all the way up into WWII. In WWII it was used as a coastal battery, and it was the only place in the continental US to be shelled in WWII. One day, Japan sent a sub up into the river a ways, and on the way back out to the pacific ocean it came up and sent several shells up towards Fort Stevens. No one was hurt and the shells didn't hit anything, but it makes for something to talk about now"
                  It is a not-quite-finished disappearing gun.
                  Attached Files
                  - Johann von Neumann

- Winston Churchill

Comment

Here is a pic of the SR-71 and the Spruce Goose. The SR-71 can cruise at Mach 3 and is the fastest plane on the planet. This also gives you an idea of how massive the Goose is.
                    Did you feel that tremor?

My jaw hitting the ground in the UK.

Didn't the SG only ever fly once or something? And wasn't it effectively a prototype for flying troops across the Atlantic?

Dr. S.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Sinister
                      Did you feel that tremor?

My jaw hitting the ground in the UK.

Didn't the SG only ever fly once or something? And wasn't it effectively a prototype for flying troops across the Atlantic?

Dr. S.
                      Yes and sort of yes. The SG only flew once. It was supposed to be only a taxi-test on the water (it is a flying boat), but the pilot/funder (Howard Hughes) decided to take the risk and took off. He flew about a mile at an altitude of 70 feet. There were originally 3 of them planned, but the Goose was the only one to be produced IIRC.

Lots more information here- http://www.sprucegoose.org/aircraft_.../exhibits.html

I have more pics of the goose, except I don't want to max out your connection Dr. S...you want me to post them? (I will also post some pics of other planes)
                      - Johann von Neumann

- Winston Churchill

Comment

I have more pics of the goose, except I don't want to max out your connection Dr. S...you want me to post them? (I will also post some pics of other planes)
                        I'm in a democratic mood tonight, proceed as you please Mr Gobeavs, it's all good stuff!

Dr. S.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Ok
                          Here is a B-17 that was seen at the McMinnville museum (the SG one).
                          Attached Files
                          - Johann von Neumann

- Winston Churchill

Comment

Here is a pic of the rear of same plane I don't know...the SR-71 and the Goose in the background.
                            Attached Files
                            - Johann von Neumann

- Winston Churchill

Comment

Here is a picture from the Boeing Flight Museum in Seattle, Washington. During our visit the Blue Angels were practicing next door for a show, so it was pretty cool. Unfortunatly, my dad commited the cardinal sin of digital photography and forgot to charge the camera overnight (day 2 of our trip), so there aren't many pics from this museum...

This is the main showroom at this museum. The black plane on the right is a prototype of the SR-71 blackbird.
                              Attached Files
                              - Johann von Neumann

- Winston Churchill

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X