Master list of museums?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Master list of museums?

My dad and I will be taking a little road trip tomarrow and we will go see any war/airplane museums in the northern Oregon/Washington area. We are already going to see the evergreen museum in Oregon, an air museum in tillamook Oregon, Pearson's airfield, and I think a boeing museum in Washington. My question is, is there a good list of museums across the US that we could look at and see if we are missing some? Or do you guys know of any? My dad takes a ton of digital pictures, so if you guys want pics I can dish them out when I get back
    "In mathematics you don't understand things. You just get used to them."
    - Johann von Neumann

"Never in the face of human conflict has so much been owed by so many to so few."
    - Winston Churchill

Hope you have a good trip!

There's a big list of museums here in this thread:

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...&threadid=1110

Make sure we see the photos here!

Dr. S.
    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Dr. S.
      Just for you Dr. S, I will make the pictures exclusive to this forum! I won't post them anywhere else but here... :thumb:
      - Johann von Neumann

"Never in the face of human conflict has so much been owed by so many to so few."
      - Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by gobeavs
        Thanks Dr. S.
        Just for you Dr. S, I will make the pictures exclusive to this forum! I won't post them anywhere else but here... :thumb:
        Great! Looking forward to it.

My personal interests are in German armour and equipment. So, if you see any Panzers/Tigers/Panthers or especially any Stukas (?) - make sure you get some snaps!

Dr. S.
        Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

The website of one of the museums says they have a Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-10 Gustav (the tillamook one has a messerschmitt 109 also, they must be common)...Don't know if it is in the museum though, they could just own it..I will be on the lookout for german stuff, I think most of the museums we are going to are airplane though, so don't expect tanks...

They don't have many land war museums where we are going...
          - Johann von Neumann

- Winston Churchill

Comment

The website of one of the museums says they have a Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-10 Gustav...Don't know if it is in the museum though, they could just own it..I will be on the lookout for german stuff, I think most of the museums we are going to are airplane though, so don't expect tanks...

They don't have many land war museums where we are going...
            Ooh, a BF109 - very nice!

Good luck and have a great time with your Dad. :thumb:

Dr. S.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

This is the wrong place to put this, but speaking of museums, you guys over in the UK have a good one Dr. S. I don't remember the name of it but we stopped by, it was a tank museum, they had a tank show and we got to climb in the tanks and everything. It was a sweet museum!
              - Johann von Neumann

- Winston Churchill

Comment

This is the wrong place to put this, but speaking of museums, you guys over in the UK have a good one Dr. S. I don't remember the name of it but we stopped by, it was a tank museum, they had a tank show and we got to climb in the tanks and everything. It was a sweet museum!
                Would that be Bovington?

Website is here and I did a piece on it for the website here.

Dr. S.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Yep! That is the one. Fine museum, my dad enjoyed it a lot also! I have returned from the main leg of our museum trip, we did this so far-
                  Tillamook Air Museum- (Me-109, B-25 Mitchell...)
                  Fort Stevens- (the only continental US emplacement to be shelled in WW2)
                  Boeing Museum of flight- (Focke Wolfe (sp?), others...)
                  Cobra submarine- (went in a foxtrot class Russian submarine built in the seventies)

Tomarrow we will finish it off with a trip to the Evergreen Aviation museum and a visit to paddle palace (a ping-pong store )!

Pics and more details to come
                  - Johann von Neumann

- Winston Churchill

Comment

Yep! That is the one. Fine museum, my dad enjoyed it a lot also! I have returned from the main leg of our museum trip, we did this so far-
                    Tillamook Air Museum- (Me-109, B-25 Mitchell...)
                    Fort Stevens- (the only continental US emplacement to be shelled in WW2)
                    Boeing Museum of flight- (Focke Wolfe (sp?), others...)
                    Cobra submarine- (went in a foxtrot class Russian submarine built in the seventies)

Tomarrow we will finish it off with a trip to the Evergreen Aviation museum and a visit to paddle palace (a ping-pong store )!

Pics and more details to come
                    Glad you had/are having a great time. What's this Fort Stevens thingy all about then?

Dr. S.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Fort Stevens is a fort at the northern end of Oregon at the end of the Columbia River. It started out as a fort in the civil war, and was used all the way up into WWII. In WWII it was used as a coastal battery, and it was the only place in the continental US to be shelled in WWII. One day, Japan sent a sub up into the river a ways, and on the way back out to the pacific ocean it came up and sent several shells up towards Fort Stevens. No one was hurt and the shells didn't hit anything, but it makes for something to talk about now
                      - Johann von Neumann

- Winston Churchill

Comment

Fort Stevens is a fort at the northern end of Oregon at the mouth of the Columbia River. It started out as a fort in the civil war, and was used all the way up into WWII. In WWII it was used as a coastal battery, and it was the only place in the continental US to be shelled in WWII. One day, Japan sent a sub up into the river a ways, and on the way back out to the pacific ocean it came up and sent several shells up towards Fort Stevens. No one was hurt and the shells didn't hit anything, but it makes for something to talk about now
                        Fascinating stuff! Thanks for that.

Dr. S.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Sinister
                          Fascinating stuff! Thanks for that.

Dr. S.
                          On mail call this evening they did a piece little piece on the shelling of fort stevens. Not much, but it was something.
                          - Johann von Neumann

- Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                          X