Going to the MilitaryMuseum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to the MilitaryMuseum

Hey guys long time since I posted. I am planning a little family trip to Aberdeen Md. in a few weeks to check out the Military Museum at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds. Anyone been there before? I plan on taking a lot of pictures to share with everyone. Can we post picutres on this site? Heck I may even adopt Anzio Annie! The museum has a progam to raise funds for a building project. One can adopt various Military pieces for different amounts of cash!

Re: Going to the MilitaryMuseum

Originally posted by doomonyou
    Hey guys long time since I posted. I am planning a little family trip to Aberdeen Md. in a few weeks to check out the Military Museum at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds. Anyone been there before? I plan on taking a lot of pictures to share with everyone. Can we post picutres on this site? Heck I may even adopt Anzio Annie! The museum has a progam to raise funds for a building project. One can adopt various Military pieces for different amounts of cash!
    You sure can post photographs here my friend and I for one will be anxious to see them. :thumb:
    http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

Re: Re: Going to the MilitaryMuseum

Originally posted by dannybou
      You sure can post photographs here my friend and I for one will be anxious to see them. :thumb:
      Don't forget we have a whole Forum set aside for Battlefields, Museums and Exhibitions!!

Dr. S.
      Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Abeerdeen Proving grounds

Hey,
        I was just at APG in June, I visited on the 5th of June and was in DC for the WW2 D-Day celebration at the memorial. That place is super cool and I actually took a pic and talked to Dr. Atwater who all of you should know from the History Channel Tales of the Gun and other Tank documentories. He was great and the museum is great. It is such a shame to see all that history rust away. They had a ton of items in good shape, but lots of them are outside in the elements. I donated a fairly large sum to the foundation.
        He has King Tigers,T-34 (Which according to him was the best tank)Panzers and tons of other things. The only thing missing is the Tiger tank. It is overseas being restored.
        I also took tons of video and pics but most of my pics will not fit on this site.
        I highly recommend going there if you like Armored items and guns. Iy is actually on a base so bring I.D and be prepared to show proof of vehicle ownership.
        Here is the website to learn more www.ordmusfund.org/
        Send me a private message if you want more info.

If someone can tell me how to make pics smaller I can post a ton of stuff too. All my pics are 900000 bytes
        "History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Abeerdeen Proving grounds

OOOOPPPPSSSS!!!!!!
          www.ordmusfound.org/

my bad
          "History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Re: Going to the MilitaryMuseum

Originally posted by doomonyou
            It's a great museum. I've been there several times and loved it every time.

Be sure to take a copy of ACG and have your picture taken holding it there. We'd love to see that, too!
            Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
            Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
            http://www.mormon.org
            http://www.sca.org
            http://www.scv.org/
            http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

O.k. sounds good! I will try to get a pic with Dr. Atwater as well. I got to speak with him on the phone the other day. He said he does everything from sweeping floors to answering the phone!

Comment

pics from Aberdeen

Hey I just figured out how to make pics small enough to fit on the site. I will post a few here and there.

CD
                Attached Files

Comment

And a T-34
                  Attached Files

Comment

Re: pics from Aberdeen

Originally posted by creeping death
                    Hey I just figured out how to make pics small enough to fit on the site. I will post a few here and there.

CD
                    Great picture.

What were your views on the condition of the vehicles at Aberdeen? Having checked out the pictures on their website before, I always thought the photos showed the vehicles to be somewhat...nelected?

There's a Tank Museum here in the UK where all the exhibits are indoors, and another in Russia where they are also under cover. The ones at Abderdeen look like they are falling apart in comparison. Is this the case?

Dr. S.
                    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Yeah it is very unfortunate that a lot of these vehicles are rusting, the problem is that it costs millions to restore and millions to house these incredible machines. They do have a lot of vehicles that are protected during the winter and those are along the street. But for the most part the stuff in the first 2 pics I posted are rusting away. There is other museums in the states that have a good selection of armor that is protected. generalpatton.org/ is one I know of.
                      As earlier posted they are collecting funds to build an indoor facility to hold all of them. I will post some less depressing pics of items that are like new and fully restored.

:armed:
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by creeping death
                        Yeah it is very unfortunate that a lot of these vehicles are rusting, the problem is that it costs millions to restore and millions to house these incredible machines. They do have a lot of vehicles that are protected during the winter and those are along the street. But for the most part the stuff in the first 2 pics I posted are rusting away. There is other museums in the states that have a good selection of armor that is protected. generalpatton.org/ is one I know of.
                        As earlier posted they are collecting funds to build an indoor facility to hold all of them. I will post some less depressing pics of items that are like new and fully restored.

:armed:
                        Unfortunately, as you said, most of the equipment at Aberdeen's museum is just parked in a field exposed to nature. It seems there is no care for it at all.
                        Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                        Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                        http://www.mormon.org
                        http://www.sca.org
                        http://www.scv.org/
                        http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

What really needs to happen is to have an organization from the private sector take over restoration from the Army.............
                          Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X