Normandy Photos - Batch 2.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Normandy Photos - Batch 2.

Here is the second batch of pictures from Normandy.

This group of pictures covers Omaha Beach.

1) This is a picture I posted previously in the "Walk Where They Fought" Forum. Here you can see Omaha Beach from the western edge.

2) I like this one.

3) This one was taken from the sea wall, roughly in the middle of the beach, looking across it to the west.

4) And looking the other way. It's a vast expanse of sand (sorry about the lens flare - my old camera used to do that...).

5) This is Mrs Sinister strolling along the beach - the long shadow is mine.

6) A sign indicating which Sector of the beach you are in.

7) This is the National Guard Monument that sits near the bottom of the Vierville Draw.

8) I posted this picture here before - it was taken inside a German Bunker on Omaha Beach and shows a Naval shell embedded in the concrete. Still there after all these years.

9) And finally, this is a slightly skewed photo of a monument erected in honour of the American 1st Infantry Division.

Regards,

Dr. S.
    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Perfect Doc!
    http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

Great Pictures Thanks!

Comment

Here are a couple more from the same area at Dog Green, just east of the Vierville exit.

The first is facing west looking at the exit (the paved road leading up the bluff). The pier visible in Doc's pictures is just visible on the right.

The next picture is basically in the exact same spot, but up on the sea wall, facing east.

Notice that my pictures are near high tide, and Docs are near low tide.

Comment

Nice looking pictures runyan99.

Got any more you can post for us?

When were these ones taken? And at what time of day?

Regards,

Dr. S.
          Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Those cars and houses held up pretty well under the bombardment
            Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Sinister

Got any more you can post for us?

When were these ones taken? And at what time of day?
              These photos were taken only a couple weeks ago, at about 10:00 a.m.

There are lots more to post. Stay tuned. I'm going to dribble them out.

Comment

Nice job Doc

Comment

I was wondering, are there still artifacts being found on the beaches, either dug up or washed ashore?
                  http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

Originally posted by dannybou
                    I was wondering, are there still artifacts being found on the beaches, either dug up or washed ashore?
                    I would imagine so.

I know someone who once found a Bazooka rocket in a field not too far from the beaches. Now that's scary.

Dr. S.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

they find a lot of tanks beneath the water on the beaches. thats gotta be a cool find!:thumb:

Comment

Originally posted by nreese21
                        they find a lot of tanks beneath the water on the beaches. thats gotta be a cool find!:thumb:
                        Presumably, these are the Sherman DDs that sunk in the choppy waters?

Dr. S.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

You mean like this one?

Note the propellers in the rear.

Comment

RunRyan99 Wrote:
                            You mean like this one?

(user posted image)
                            Just like that one.

Comment

Originally posted by runyan99
                              You mean like this one?

I was going to say that was a swee-eet find, but then, I realised that the crew probably went down with it.

Dr. S.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X