Normandy Photos - Batch 1.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Normandy Photos - Batch 1.

I thought I'd start the ball rolling with some photos from a trip to Normandy I undertook a few years ago. I've posted a couple of these pictures elsewhere.

These were taken with a 2nd generation digital camera, so the quality isn't that good, but there are still some nice shots here (I think).

I'm going to post them in batches so that the downloads per thread aren't too enormous.

We'll start with some pictures of Arromanches:

1) This is the small town of Arromanches as you approach from the Ferry Port. You can see the remains of one of the Mulberry Harbours in the sea.

2) A picture taken from the beach itself.

3) A memorial plaque. There are dozens of these sorts of things around.

4) And another.

5) There's a large museum in the town near the beach, but we had got there so early from the overnight Ferry that it was closed. Still, there were some good-looking pieces of equipment outside.

6) AA Gun.

7) American Half-Track.

8) Artillery piece.

9) And finally, for this batch, a lonely Tank overlooking the sea.

Regards,

Dr. S.
    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Thanks. Someday, I may get to go there in person.
    Retreat hell, we just got here. Every Marine, a rifleman.

Never let the facts get in the way of the truth.

Comment

Great photos Doc. I enjoy them all. Like Iron Mike said, one day I will definitely go there.
      http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

The museum at Arromanches isn't bad. If you go back, it is worth a quick trip.

Comment

Doc, have you been to Juno?
          http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

Originally posted by dannybou
            Doc, have you been to Juno?
            Alas no. We did Sword, Omaha, Utah and Point de Hoc before going to St Mere Eglise.

I'd like to do them all at some point. I will go back - hopefully very soon.

I'll be sure to get some pictures for everyone to see when I do and I'll kep an eye out for any Canadian memorials for you.

There really is STACKS of stuff to see - I was limited on camera memory, otherwise I'd have more photos (I do have some more, but these ones really capture the essence of them all).

Dr. S.
            Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

How could we have possibly stormed the beaches without the support of the Army Catering Corp? They've been left out of everything We hear about airborne and Rangers and gliderborne troops, soldiers, sailors, airmen, and tankers, but never the Army Catering Corps!
              If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisvalla
                How could we have possibly stormed the beaches without the support of the Army Catering Corp? They've been left out of everything We hear about airborne and Rangers and gliderborne troops, soldiers, sailors, airmen, and tankers, but never the Army Catering Corps!
                The prided themselves on making the best pies whilst under fire. Getting the pastry just right could be tricky though.

In fact, they made such good food on those beaches, sometimes German soldiers would drift over and surreptitiously join the queue at the catering truck. They would get served, just like everyone else, but they would usually be charged double.

Dr. S.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Doc,

Did you notice some of the equipment had uh French thingies on it?? What an outrage
                  Govenour Of Texas and all southern provinces. Kepper Of The Holy Woodchipper.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X