Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saint Jeremy
    replied
    Within 30 minutes of my house there is the most sacred muesem of all of Texas. The Battleground of San Jacinto. Anyone who is a Texan should make the pilgramige at least once in their life. It is well worth the experience.

Leave a comment:

• neon
    replied
    Great Museum

The Australia War Memorial is truly one of the worlds great museums. Located in our national capital, Canberra.:thumb: They also have great web site.

http://www.awm.gov.au/

If every find ourself in Australia be sure to check it out.

Leave a comment:

• Janos
    replied
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by freightshaker
    [B]
    Originally posted by Janos
    Hmmm. Speyer has a bunch of rockets, cars, tanks, and aircraft...don't recall any gun turrets so I could be wrong -- also Speyer's is not on the Autobahn. I should be in that AO in a few months and will check then. There's a sister one to the one in Speyer an hour or down the Autobahn, too, but I can't remember the town name.

Finally at home, looked thru my books and TA DA! It's in Sinsheim, just off of Autobahn 6, just East of Hockenheim. New if I looked thru my old atlases I'd come across it. If your back in USAEUR, make sure you get there, great museum.
    I have been there...when I lived in Heidelberg. I forgot the name . Sinsheim is the "sister" that I mentioned a couple of posts ago, but couldn't remember the key info.

Thanks!

JS

Leave a comment:

• Freightshaker
    replied
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Janos
    [B]Hmmm. Speyer has a bunch of rockets, cars, tanks, and aircraft...don't recall any gun turrets so I could be wrong -- also Speyer's is not on the Autobahn. I should be in that AO in a few months and will check then. There's a sister one to the one in Speyer an hour or down the Autobahn, too, but I can't remember the town name.

Finally at home, looked thru my books and TA DA! It's in Sinsheim, just off of Autobahn 6, just East of Hockenheim. New if I looked thru my old atlases I'd come across it. If your back in USAEUR, make sure you get there, great museum.

Leave a comment:

• viking370
    replied
    There used to be a good airforce museum at the old Chanoote..sp.. AFB in Illinois. I'm not sure if the museum is still there. does anyone know.

Leave a comment:

• Janos
    replied
    Originally posted by freightshaker
    Left Ger in 96' so my memory could be failing. Lucky to remember Hockenhiem. Hard to miss the museum though, sits on the north side of 67(?) and has destroyer gun turrets, missiles, and aircraft outside of it. If I remember correctly the car museum is close by tho. When I was in Illeshiem it was about 1-2 hr drive at Autobahn speeds.
    Hmmm. Speyer has a bunch of rockets, cars, tanks, and aircraft...don't recall any gun turrets so I could be wrong -- also Speyer's is not on the Autobahn. I should be in that AO in a few months and will check then. There's a sister one to the one in Speyer an hour or down the Autobahn, too, but I can't remember the town name.

JS

Leave a comment:

• Freightshaker
    replied
    Originally posted by Janos
    Are you sure it's not the museum in Speyer? It's near Hockenheim. The only museum in Hockenheim that I know of is the racecar museum at the Hockenheimer Ring. The one in Speyer, and a similar one an hour or so east are well worth the trip from anywhere in Europe.

JS
    Left Ger in 96' so my memory could be failing. Lucky to remember Hockenhiem. Hard to miss the museum though, sits on the north side of 67(?) and has destroyer gun turrets, missiles, and aircraft outside of it. If I remember correctly the car museum is close by tho. When I was in Illeshiem it was about 1-2 hr drive at Autobahn speeds.

Leave a comment:

• Janos
    replied
    Originally posted by freightshaker
    Also there is a military museum in Hockenhiem, Germany that has a Tiger tank with parts of the armor cut away so you can see the interior. It also has a non-restored JU-87 that was pull up out of the Mediteranian.
    Are you sure it's not the museum in Speyer? It's near Hockenheim. The only museum in Hockenheim that I know of is the racecar museum at the Hockenheimer Ring. The one in Speyer, and a similar one an hour or so east are well worth the trip from anywhere in Europe.

JS

Leave a comment:

• Freightshaker
    replied
    The Battle of the Bulge museum in Stoumont, Belgium is fantastic. They even have a restored King Tiger. Also there is a military museum in Hockenhiem, Germany that has a Tiger tank with parts of the armor cut away so you can see the interior. It also has a non-restored JU-87 that was pull up out of the Mediteranian. Both museums have a large assortment of small arms and even some ordinance. Ft Hood, TX has a pretty good museum with a large selection of vehicle but I never did make it inside for some reason. Ft Lewis,WA has a pretty good one too.

Leave a comment:

• nreese21
    replied
    The museum in Dayton Ohio is good

Leave a comment:

• Janos
    replied
    Originally posted by james hansen
    When I went to Fort Knox Kentucky I was able to visit the Patton Museum. On display were many of the generals items..They even had some of his childhood toys and other items from his youth. His personal car was on display His helmet and pistols were there. they also had his command vehicle from battle of the bulge on display. A must see spot....
    That's a great one.

When I was there in '75, there was 3x3 meter diorama of US tank forces breaching the Westwall that was absolutely brilliant. I also still have photos of myself ignoring the "do not climb on the vehicles" signs out back.

JS

Leave a comment:

• james hansen
    replied
    When I went to Fort Knox Kentucky I was able to visit the Patton Museum. On display were many of the generals items..They even had some of his childhood toys and other items from his youth. His personal car was on display His helmet and pistols were there. they also had his command vehicle from battle of the bulge on display. A must see spot....

Leave a comment:

• dannybou
    replied
    Originally posted by hogdriver
    yes and no. As far as I know, there is a "restricted area", but the museum in general is open to the public. I saw a documentary about it.
    Restricted area for police officers only? I'll have to find a link. Thanks for the info hog.

Leave a comment:

• hogdriver
    replied
    Originally posted by dannybou
    Hey Doc

Isn't there a museum in London called the Black Museum and is open only to police officers?
    yes and no. As far as I know, there is a "restricted area", but the museum in general is open to the public. I saw a documentary about it.

Leave a comment:

• hogdriver
    replied
    Originally posted by GeorgiaDixie
    Within a couple hours drive of my house in south GA there are many good museums. Here's a few I can remember off the top of my head:

U.S. Army Infantry Museum- Fort Benning, GA
    U.S. Army Aviation Museum- Fort Rucker, AL
    Mighty Eighth Air Force Museum- Savannah, GA
    Air Museum- Robins AFB, GA
    National Naval Aviation Museum- NAS Pensacola, FL
    National Air Force Armaments Museum- Eglin AFB, FL
    Hunley Museum- Charleston, SC

Those are all excently museums. I'd especially recommend the Infantry museum at Benning. Its probably one of the best I've ever been to.
    Why is the 8th Air Foice Museum in Savannah? I don't recall hearing of it being HQ'd there. At the moment it is at Barksdale AFB, LA.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X