Tomb of the Unknowns caught in battle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomb of the Unknowns caught in battle

ARLINGTON, Virginia (CNN) -- The Tomb of the Unknowns at Arlington National Cemetery is at the center of combat between preservationists and cemetery officials. Preservationists say a replica would also crack over time and that fixing the monument is the better option. The giant marble sarcophagus marking the location of four unknown U.S. service members from World War I to Vietnam has been battling the elements since it opened to the public in 1932. More than 70 years later, it is showing the scars, with cracks encircling it.

On its most famous inscription -- "Here rests in honored glory an American soldier known but to God" -- a crack cuts diagonally across the words.
    http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/08/27/tom...wns/index.html
    It should replaced so as to look as exactly as when it dedicated
    60.00%
    It should be repaired but the stone must be left original
    26.67%
    It should not be distributed in anyway other than the passage of time
    0.00%
    Other thoughts
    13.33%
    FoxNEWS "The World is unfair and we are running scared"

I am unsure how I feel about this. I think A or B but which

Comment

Initially I was outraged at replacing the Tomb, but read the article in an effort to be openminded. They have been patching it since 1975 and the repairs only last a few years. Eventually, they said it would take on a shabby appearance and that is not ok either. On second thought, it could be argued that Arlington and the physical location of the Tomb is more of a tribute to the Unknown soldier and that the Tomb should be replaced if it takes on a shabby appearance.

In a perfect world, it would never be replaced. Too bad our world isn't perfect!

Comment

Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
        Initially I was outraged at replacing the Tomb, but read the article in an effort to be openminded. They have been patching it since 1975 and the repairs only last a few years. Eventually, they said it would take on a shabby appearance and that is not ok either. On second thought, it could be argued that Arlington and the physical location of the Tomb is more of a tribute to the Unknown soldier and that the Tomb should be replaced if it takes on a shabby appearance.

In a perfect world, it would never be replaced. Too bad our world isn't perfect!

That is why I cannot make up my mind

Comment

I wonder if there is some material that would last longer....like maybe forever? I would be in favor of a change in material only if it offered a longer undisturbed resting place.

Comment

Under the circumstances, I would replace the old tomb with a new one.
            They can make it look similar to the old one.
            They have tried to fix it.
            If people want to keep fixing the tomb, that would be fine too.
            But you know how sometimes things that get fixed too much, look jacked-up?
            Metal straps, colors don't look right?
            You don't want the tomb to look like that..
            "Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Comment

In Canada we used Granite for our unknown, however Vimy in France is marble and Canada just spent 90 million repairing it

Tomb of the Unknown

Vimy

Comment

This important monument should be replaced with similar materials perhaps with a shelter limiting future exposure. The original presentation must be followed. The Tomb is the most sacred military location in the USA recognising all unknowns who made the ultimate sacrifice.

Preservationists are off base if they wish to keep a monument that will continue to degrade and eventually crumble.

EDIT: The article says "Repairing it would cost an estimated $65,000; replacing it would cost $2.2 million." The cost to replace is a non-issue even if it were $10 million. The more I think about it the madder I get.
                Last edited by BriteLite; 27 Aug 08, 17:31.

Comment

Originally posted by BriteLite View Post
                  This important monument should be replaced with similar materials perhaps with a shelter limiting future exposure. The original presentation must be followed. The Tomb is the most sacred military location in the USA recognising all unknowns who made the ultimate sacrifice.

Preservationists are off base if they wish to keep a monument that will continue to degrade and eventually crumble.
                  I thought about a shelter also but I do not think I like that idea

Comment

Originally posted by PatBC View Post
                    I thought about a shelter also but I do not think I like that idea
                    I thought about the shelter idea as well and dismissed it. It wouldn't be the same.

The cost irritated me at first, but only as something to be factored into the decision. As a presentation of fact, I found it interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
                      I thought about the shelter idea as well and dismissed it. It wouldn't be the same.

The cost irritated me at first, but only as something to be factored into the decision. As a presentation of fact, I found it interesting.
                      Cost to me is not an issue, I suspect it would not be impossible to get it done by private funds. However even if it cost a billions it would be better than many other things the government wastes money on.

I do not remember anybody daring to say the government of Canada should not spent the money on Vimy or our unknown.

Comment

I don't cost would be an issue here either. I would think the Feds would step up and pay whatever was needed, but even if they didn't private donations would get it done.

Comment

Perhaps the best route would be to replace the existing monument with an exact replica made of more durable material, and move the original tomb to a place where it can be preserved, like the Smithsonian or similar historical museum.

Comment

Originally posted by skoblin View Post
                            Perhaps the best route would be to replace the existing monument with an exact replica made of more durable material, and move the original tomb to a place where it can be preserved, like the Smithsonian or similar historical museum.
                            The current location is key I think you are forgetting that.

Comment

Originally posted by PatBC View Post
                              The current location is key I think you are forgetting that.
                              I think he means to remove the present one and replace it with a new one. Then place the original in a museum.

For me replace the original with granite sounds good but the tomb is just a part of the memorial. The rest is also made of white marble and finding another stone to fit in well be difficult.

The giant marble sarcophagus marking the location of four unknown U.S. service members from World War I to Vietnam has been
                              There are no remains from Vietnam buried there IIRC they were identified and reburied else were at the families request.

HP
                              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X