Must See Battlefields in US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Must See Battlefields in US

Anyone got good advice for civil war battlefields to see in the US? I have only been to Gettysburg (10+ times), Spotsvanyila (twice), Antietam and Harper's Ferry.
    http://www.historynotes.info/wp-cont...of-Austria.jpg

Archduke Charles!

I have been to several, Antietam, Sabine Pass, Mansfield, Harper's Ferry and Appomattox. Antietam had the most to do and Sabine Pass the least. The actual fort site is gone at Sabine Pass as they dredged out ship channels to the Port Arthur oil refineries. They did build a couple of covered picnic tables though. If I ever get my health back enough to do some walking, Vicksburg and Gettysburg sound interesting. There are several battle sites off old HWY 90 from New Iberia I have not seen yet.

Pruitt
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

The Valley Campaigns of '62 and '64 are worth visiting. One could spend a week in and around Richmond.
      "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
      -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

Thanks guys! I did enjoy my trip to Virginia in 2016 (I live in Western Pennsylvania) so maybe I will run down there again in the near future after all this stuff dies down.
        http://www.historynotes.info/wp-cont...of-Austria.jpg

Archduke Charles!

Comment

I found Petersburg National Battlefield Park in Petersburg VA interesting. When I visited they allowed you to go into the mine entrance of the mine that led to the crater.I don't know if they still allow that now.

“Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.” -- Albert Einstein

The US Constitution doesn't need to be rewritten it needs to be reread

Comment

Fort Warren on Georges Island in Boston Harbor is worth a look. The boat trip on a nice summer's day is refreshing. Not sure if you're allowed to camp overnight there anymore but if you do be sure and look for the ghost of the "Lady in Black" a southern woman executed there during the civil war. According to WIKI:

Fort Warren was built from 1833 to 1861 and was completed shortly after the beginning of the American Civil War as part of the third system of US fortifications.

The Army engineer in charge during the bulk of the fort's construction was Colonel Sylvanus Thayer, who is best known for his tenure as Superintendent of the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York. It was the fifth largest of the 42 third system forts. The overall plan was pentagonal in shape, slightly irregular to make the best use of the island's terrain. The fort features excellent granite work. A demilune (half-moon) battery protecting the north sally port is a rare feature in US forts.[3] The fort was originally designed for over 200 guns, including some mortars and flank howitzers. During the Civil War it was armed with 15-inch and 10-inch Rodman smoothbore guns.[4]

During the Civil War, the island fort served as a prison for captured Confederate army and navy personnel,[5] elected civil officials from the state of Maryland, and Northern political prisoners.

James M. Mason and John Slidell, the Confederate diplomats seized in the Trent affair, were among those held at the fort. Confederate military officers held at Fort Warren included Richard S. Ewell, Isaac R. Trimble, John Gregg, Adam "Stovepipe" Johnson, Simon Bolivar Buckner, Sr., and Lloyd Tilghman. High-ranking civilians held at Fort Warren include Confederate Vice President Alexander H. Stephens and Confederate Postmaster General John Henninger Reagan. The prison camp had a reputation for humane treatment of its detainees. When the camp commander's son, Lieutenant Justin E. Dimick, left Fort Warren for active duty in the field with the Second U.S. Artillery, he was given a letter from Confederate officers in the camp urging good care should he be captured. (He was later mortally wounded at Chancellorsville in May, 1863.)

Today the for is open to visitors except in the winter.
            ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
            IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X