Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Little Muesums, Big Suprise?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Little Muesums, Big Suprise?

    OK, a tip o' the hat to Kendoka Girl and her thread on museum visits. The site is full of impressive lists of Great and Important collections. It made me think of some of the small, out of the way places I have entered and been suprised at the unique displays therein. Of course, we are all aware of the tourist trap "free museum and curios" type, but where have you stopped and been impressed by a small well-maintained, unique collection?

    Here in the west, no self-respecting small museum would be complete without a display of rattlesnake beads and/ or indian arrowheads. That said, if you're ever in Forysth MT, take a second and visit their local museum. A family, whose men have worked on the area railroads for 90 years, donated the most impressive display of rattles and arrowheads, you will find outside of the Smithsonian. All collected from their years working on the tracks.

    If you enjoy older firearms, don't miss the Cody WY, Buffalo Bill Museum. An absolutely incredible display from Winchester Firearms.

    I may be the only fool that is a sucker for small institutions like this. Any Battlesites or museums that suprised you with their offerings?
    My Avatar: Ivan W. Henderson Gunner/navigator B-25-26. 117 combat missions. Both Theaters. 11 confirmed kills. DSC.

  • #2
    Its small, but free

    They have a small museum here in Vail that has the history of skiiing and such, but the impressive part is the nod to the 10th Mountain Division that trained not far from here. Alot of the early movers and shakers in the western US ski industry got there start ski divisions during WWII. Looking at their gear, they must have been tough buggers to make it through without freezing to death!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
      They have a small museum here in Vail that has the history of skiiing and such, but the impressive part is the nod to the 10th Mountain Division that trained not far from here. Alot of the early movers and shakers in the western US ski industry got there start ski divisions during WWII. Looking at their gear, they must have been tough buggers to make it through without freezing to death!
      Thanks Heather. The man that developed one our local ski areas got his start with the 10th. Major newspaper article on him recently. I actually have to go through Vail next summer, I'll make it a point to stop by. And a very good point about the price. Most of these places charge nothing or a very nominal fee. I always make it a point to drop something in the "donation" jar.
      My Avatar: Ivan W. Henderson Gunner/navigator B-25-26. 117 combat missions. Both Theaters. 11 confirmed kills. DSC.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by holly6 View Post
        Thanks Heather. The man that developed one our local ski areas got his start with the 10th. Major newspaper article on him recently. I actually have to go through Vail next summer, I'll make it a point to stop by. And a very good point about the price. Most of these places charge nothing or a very nominal fee. I always make it a point to drop something in the "donation" jar.
        Sure thing, they have a donation jar and some really neat things to sell: T-shirts, gondola christmas ornaments, 10th Mtn Div stuff, and some really expensive prints to cater to the posh crowd.

        I won't be here next summer, but let me know what are looking for and I will be happy to make suggestions on food and activity. There are some cool things around here that get overlooked.

        Comment


        • #5
          In the Dallas suburb of Addison...

          The Cavanaugh Flight Museum...It's not a big museum; but they have some beautiful aircraft. In particular: A very mint B-25 that flew combat missions over Italy in '44-'45...A gorgeous Grumman F9F Panther...And a very cool F-86 Sabre...

          And just north of downtown Dallas...
          The Frontiers of Flight Museum at Dallas Love Field airport is pretty cool too…A really nice pair of LTV Vietnam-era jets…A-7 Corsair II and F-8 Crusader...
          Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

          Comment


          • #6
            The Fargo Air Museum has a nice collection of aircraft.

            http://www.fargoairmuseum.org/
            If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

            Comment


            • #7
              Doc, Freighter, thanks, why is it that so many of the flight museums are in the smaller areas? Scott, have you been to the one in (I think) McMinnville OR, that contains Hugh's "Spruce Goose" among other beautifully rebult aircraft?
              My Avatar: Ivan W. Henderson Gunner/navigator B-25-26. 117 combat missions. Both Theaters. 11 confirmed kills. DSC.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by holly6 View Post
                Scott, have you been to the one in (I think) McMinnville OR, that contains Hugh's "Spruce Goose" among other beautifully rebult aircraft?
                Went to a model show there a few months back. Luftiger works there!! They also have a B-17 and a great collection of jets.

                http://www.sprucegoose.org/
                If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by freightshaker View Post
                  Went to a model show there a few months back. Luftiger works there!! They also have a B-17 and a great collection of jets.

                  http://www.sprucegoose.org/
                  Wow! gonna have to change my opinion of the AirKitty.
                  In Yakima, they have the "McCallister Air Museum" named after an air pioneer in the area. Guy went back to the 20's, pilot's ticket was signed by Orville etc. It's mostly dedicated to the men he taught to fly that went on to WWII. Uncle Ivan, (my avatar) was one of them. A local still alive was involved with the development of the Norton Bomb Sight. He donated one to the place. Pretty cool to be able to mess with it.
                  My Avatar: Ivan W. Henderson Gunner/navigator B-25-26. 117 combat missions. Both Theaters. 11 confirmed kills. DSC.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    On another note. When I traveled the East Coast long ago, it seemed that every small museum had the original chains that G. Washington used as a surveyor. Don't know why, it just stuck in my mind. There must be a plethora of small museums on the other side of the Mississippi. Any of them have a treasure?
                    My Avatar: Ivan W. Henderson Gunner/navigator B-25-26. 117 combat missions. Both Theaters. 11 confirmed kills. DSC.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by holly6 View Post
                      Of course, we are all aware of the tourist trap "free museum and curios" type, but where have you stopped and been impressed by a small well-maintained, unique collection?
                      Oh boy,
                      It takes me ten times longer to get somewhere on a trip.
                      I'm the guy who actually reads the monument signs at rest stops.
                      I'll stop at oranges that are 50s fast food places, A&Ws.
                      I once asked Dolley to take my picture at an A&W outside of Modesto, California.
                      Anyway, I have a few to contribute tribute...
                      • Knott's Berry Farm has all sorts of cool, donated, collections of things to look at. Screw the rides. I look at the collections. Knives, old coins, weapons.
                      • Ripon, California has the world's only Maytag Museum. It's never open when I go to visit my friend Bob who owns the pizza parlor in town, but we look through the windows at all the old stuff.
                      • Traver, California on the 99 freeway that goes through the San Joaquin Valley.
                      • Lakewood, California. Slug's garage. Coins, stamps, comic books, old magazines, old disco clothes...
                      • ?
                      Originally posted by holly6
                      I may be the only fool that is a sucker for small institutions like this. Any Battlesites or museums that suprised you with their offerings?
                      No! No! I like this stuff too!
                      • Fort Tejon, in southern California has a neat museum dedicated to Pearl Harbor. The fleet used to be in Long Beach, and San Pedro, California.
                      • The site below I go to when I visit my mother-in-law in Washington, because that's what you do. it's loaded with knick-knacks, olde stuff...I spend hours in there, and break out the olde credit card.


                      Marsh’s Free Museum
                      Home of Jake the Alligator Man and a variety of other oddities, Marsh's Free Museum is a Long Beach landmark. A collection of music machines and Victorian era games and flip movies are sandwiched in amongst photos, antiques, and kitschy souvenirs. A visit to Long Beach is incomplete without a visit to Marsh's.
                      Hours: Open daily, 9am to at least 6pm, year-round. (360) 642-2188
                      Directions: 400 S. Pacific, Long Beach. From the traffic light at Pacific & Sid Snyder Drive go north on Pacific for 6 blocks and look for the museum on your left.
                      More Information:
                      www.marshsfreemuseum.com
                      Watch for: Jake the Alligator Man's Birthday Party, 2nd Saturday of August.
                      "Jake"

                      Last edited by Slug; 31 Dec 07, 22:22.
                      "Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The little museums are sometimes the gems, even if in the rough!

                        While on business in Denver Colorado, I went out a couple days early to do a little sight seeing. A nice surprise was Buffalo Bill Cody's grave and museum. Yes, the trinkets were there in force in the mseum shop, but the panaromic view on Lookout Mountain looking over the Plains and Rockies, at the grave site
                        was truly awesome.
                        http://www.buffalobill.org/

                        Closer to home, in Windsor Locks CT, the New England Air Museum is just outside of Bradley International Airport, which has vintage airplanes from the beginning of flight to present. It's one of the oldest and largest in the country, but no one seems to know its there!
                        http://www.militarywargaming.com

                        "The Golden Rule of War, Speed - Simplicity - Boldness" -- General George S. Patton, Jr

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Oh yeah, here'sa link for the New England Air Museum:

                          http://www.neam.org/
                          http://www.militarywargaming.com

                          "The Golden Rule of War, Speed - Simplicity - Boldness" -- General George S. Patton, Jr

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Slug View Post
                            Oh boy,
                            It takes me ten times longer to get somewhere on a trip.
                            I'm the guy who actually reads the monument signs at rest stops.
                            I'll stop at oranges that are 50s fast food places, A&Ws.
                            I once asked Dolley to take my picture at an A&W outside of Modesto, California.
                            Anyway, I have a few to contribute tribute...
                            • Knott's Berry Farm has all sorts of cool, donated, collections of things to look at. Screw the rides. I look at the collections. Knives, old coins, weapons.
                            • Ripon, California has the world's only Maytag Museum. It's never open when I go to visit my friend Bob who owns the pizza parlor in town, but we look through the windows at all the old stuff.
                            • Traver, California on the 99 freeway that goes through the San Joaquin Valley.
                            • Lakewood, California. Slug's garage. Coins, stamps, comic books, old magazines, old disco clothes...
                            • ?

                            No! No! I like this stuff too!
                            • Fort Tejon, in southern California has a neat museum dedicated to Pearl Harbor. The fleet used to be in Long Beach, and San Pedro, California.
                            • The site below I go to when I visit my mother-in-law in Washington, because that's what you do. it's loaded with knick-knacks, olde stuff...I spend hours in there, and break out the olde credit card.


                            Marsh’s Free Museum
                            Home of Jake the Alligator Man and a variety of other oddities, Marsh's Free Museum is a Long Beach landmark. A collection of music machines and Victorian era games and flip movies are sandwiched in amongst photos, antiques, and kitschy souvenirs. A visit to Long Beach is incomplete without a visit to Marsh's.
                            Hours: Open daily, 9am to at least 6pm, year-round. (360) 642-2188
                            Directions: 400 S. Pacific, Long Beach. From the traffic light at Pacific & Sid Snyder Drive go north on Pacific for 6 blocks and look for the museum on your left.
                            More Information:
                            www.marshsfreemuseum.com
                            Watch for: Jake the Alligator Man's Birthday Party, 2nd Saturday of August.
                            "Jake"

                            Fun post Sluggo. My Daughter still loves to regale listeners with stories of our 'road trips" through ID, MT,WY, CO during the summers. If you look at the maps, there are lots of different routes to get around., all chock full of "must see" attractions. She seemed to think that 6 days to travel 1000 miles is not a productive use of time.
                            May the "Maytag Shrine" be open on your next visit. Take pics.
                            My Avatar: Ivan W. Henderson Gunner/navigator B-25-26. 117 combat missions. Both Theaters. 11 confirmed kills. DSC.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Whiterook View Post
                              The little museums are sometimes the gems, even if in the rough!

                              While on business in Denver Colorado, I went out a couple days early to do a little sight seeing. A nice surprise was Buffalo Bill Cody's grave and museum. Yes, the trinkets were there in force in the mseum shop, but the panaromic view on Lookout Mountain looking over the Plains and Rockies, at the grave site
                              was truly awesome.
                              http://www.buffalobill.org/

                              Closer to home, in Windsor Locks CT, the New England Air Museum is just outside of Bradley International Airport, which has vintage airplanes from the beginning of flight to present. It's one of the oldest and largest in the country, but no one seems to know its there!
                              Emory, have visited Lookout MT a few times. One reason the Cody site in CO is limited in it's artifacts, is the long standing battle between it and Cody WY. When in passed in Denver early in the last century, there was a major "hoo-haw" over his body. Let me see if I can find a link.

                              The NE Air Museum sounds excellent. Definitely worth a stop for our E. Coast guys.

                              EDIT: Here's some links on the "Cody" mystery. Gotta love the conspiracy theory.
                              http://www.mikeleejohnson.com/Burial.html

                              http://www.bbhc.org/pointsWest/PWArt...m?ArticleID=22
                              Last edited by holly6; 01 Jan 08, 19:05.
                              My Avatar: Ivan W. Henderson Gunner/navigator B-25-26. 117 combat missions. Both Theaters. 11 confirmed kills. DSC.

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              • casanova
                                Klaudia Tanner
                                by casanova
                                During a speech by the Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner to the soldiers one soldier fell down. The minister helped him to stand up again. The...
                                Yesterday, 23:56
                              • Karri
                                Doom Patrol
                                by Karri
                                Anyone else following?

                                IMO, it's one of the rare good things to come from this whole superhero genre (which is really mostly the same as...
                                Yesterday, 23:55
                              • Nikki
                                Iranian Nuclear Program Setback
                                by Nikki
                                Iran's nuclear program was at an advanced stage, this had to be done. Israel carried out this mission to buy the world some more time....
                                Yesterday, 23:03
                              Working...
                              X