Not sure if this counts or not, but

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure if this counts or not, but

just greedy to grab the first thread there ...

It wasn't (or maybe was..) a purposeful visit, but 14 years ago (1989), when I was receiving the military training (as a sort of punishment for the 1989.6.4 Tian'anmen event... ) at the Army Academy of PLA, we took a one-week field exercise (mainly ... short marches ) through the Tai Hang Mountains. I did not know then, but later I learned from books that our route actually was a legendary acient battlefield ---- 2200 years ago.

In 221 B.C., Qin Dynasty united China from the Warring Period (actually that is where "China" came from --- "Chin" -a ... or "Chin"-ese ). However, the empire based on cruel ruling and military conquest only, as a result, when the First Emperor died, the whole country collapsed into chaos. Many warlords fought for the ultimate power, and at a time, many of them established their own kingdoms which largely resembled the territory of per-Qin states. Among them the Han faction under Liu Bang and Chu faction under Xiang Yu stood strong. They both seeked to force other major factions into their control. One of these is the old Kingdom of Zhao. Zhao lied to the east of the Tai Hang Mt. --- where we passed through our training ---- and wasn't willing to submit to Han faction. Thus Liu Band dispatched his best general Han Xin to bring them to their knees.

However, Han Xin only had 50,000 infantry and 5000 cavalry under command. His task was to conquer an enemy about 10 times of its own size: the king of Zhao soon gathered and deployed a force of 400,000 men to meet and engage the invader, under the command of a famous general Chen Yu. During the preparation of this campaign, Li Zuoju, a staff of Chen, suggested Chen to dispatch a strong infantry force into Tai Hang Mt., in fact, to exactly where we exercised ---- a pass called "Jing Xing", in order to cut the rear and supply of Han Xin's advancing force.

The Jing Xing Mountain pass is a low valley covered mostly by forests with a few narrow difficult paths through them. The mountain peeks around the pass are typically around 300m-600m (1000 ft to 2000 ft) higher than the pass. There was a major river about 10km (6 miles) to the east of the pass, running from north to southeast. Today, this river had been constructed into a reservoir for water supplies for several counties around.

In order to march into Zhao Kingdom from the west (where Han was), the troops must cross Tai Hang Mt. --- and Jing Xing pass was the only way! Li's plan was to send a strong force of about 50k men into the forest area and wait until the main elements of Han Xin all passed Jing Xing, then go out and capture the Pass, secure the peaks around. That way, the whole force of Han would be cut off --- and then the main army under Chen's command would firmly hold the east bank of the major river (sorry I forgot the name of the river.. :P ), and no matter what, both forces just avoid direct combat with Han's troops. Within month, Han's supply would run out and they could do nothing but surrender since their retreat would also be cut off.

Unfortunately, Chen stupidly (strangely though, he had been smart until this point) rejected this plan as "coward plan" --- and he believed even 1 month was too long and would be a shame for his 400k army to smash Han's tiny corps. He would instead engage Han's army east of the river in a large lowland area --- he wanted to deliver a fatal blow concentrating his superior force.

On the other side, the legendary Han Xin is a bold but very careful man. He worried about a possible plot like Li's from his enemy. He sent many scouts into the Pass and forest area as well as spies into Chen's army. When spotting no ambushing force by his scouts, and hearing that Chen rejected Li's plan, he immediately decided to advance as fast as possible ----- he even succeeded in securing a bridge head over the east bank of the major river, by the time the bulk of Chen's army arrived.

Early on the morning of the decisive battle on the next day, Han sent out a raider group of 3000 light cavalry into the far flank of Chen's army --- indeed, it was done before dawn. It was not clear whether Chen was aware of such a move or not (even if he did notice, he probably wouldn't care of an ambush of 3000 men.)

Soon the main battle started, and it seemed to be of no surprise --- gradually the overwhelming army of Chen gained uphand --- and Han's troops were soon in grave danger of being all pushed into the river. While Chen was extremely happy at the progress, he committed ALL of his troops into pursuit ---- to make sure this blow would end the whole story. Well, it did. But quite the opposite direction though ----- at this time, the 3000 cavalry sent out by Han now quickly assaulted Chen's main camp and caught the small garrison there in total shock. The camp was soon partially captured ---- and the cavalrymen wasted no time to try to resolve the combat for the camp in detail, instead, they swiped all around the camp and simply changed all the flags into Han's flag!

Alone the river bank, Han's infantry is now at the edge of death and life ---- seeing the signal that the flags of Chen's camp had been all changed, Han inspired his soldiers to countercharge ---- or to drown in the river! Of course, at this same time, Chen's soldiers also noticed the flag thing ---- they were puzzled and started to wonder if they were surrounded and trapped by another trick of legendary Han Xin (they were! but that hesitation was exactly the trap!) ---- and the desperate counterattack came to them at exactly the same moment ---- the shock effect was unbelievable. In no time, the chaos spred out through the whole frontline of Chen. The tide suddenly turned and then became non-stoppable. Chen's huge army turned their back and run over their own ranks. ... The battle was resolved before noon. The result, as Chen had wanted, was desicive ---- just the other way around: his huge force of 400,000 men was wiped out before noon.

The kingdom of Zhao soon surrendered after this battle --- within 10 days.
    Attn to ALL my opponents:

If you sent me your turn and after 24 hours, you still did not get anything from me, please be sure to post in the forum to ask for what is going on.

Remember, I ALWAYS reply within 24 hours, even if I do NOT have time to play my turn, in which case I will at least send you email to tell you that I will have to play it later, but I DO receive your turn.

Did you have your camera with you?

So were you actually born and raised in China? I knew you were of Chinese descent...but it sounds like you are a recent immigrant!

Glad you made it out!
    Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian King
      Did you have your camera with you?

So were you actually born and raised in China? I knew you were of Chinese descent...but it sounds like you are a recent immigrant!

Glad you made it out!
      (BTW, why is the forum logging me out so frequently? What is the setting to change this "time-out" ? )

No, I do not even have a camera back then ---- I am not even sure whether my family had one or not at that time. I only remember that in early 80s, camera, watch and such things are real luxury for an average Chinese family. Although things soon improved since 84 or 85, the mentality (esp. for me ) changed much slower ---- I still considered camera to be a very luxury thing by 1989 (although by then my parents can surely afford it without any difficulty.) and never dreamed about having one. But recalling the time from now, yes, I really wish I could have one (or even a recorder) --- there were so many interesting and funny things during those days .

I am born and raised in China. Precisely in Wuhan, a city in central China (6 mil people in my hometown). I (almost) finished my college in Beijing before I came here in 1993, when I started my graduate school in Carnegie Mellon (Pittsburgh). And I moved to NYC in 1998 for my current ... internet-proof ... job A definitely "recent" immigrant ---- in the sense of social stand ... but for me, 10 years is so long ... hmm...

Made it out ... from the military training, you mean? Yes, actually I was very depressed during that year. I thought it was extremely unfair and rediculous. However, just like I said, looking back from today, actually that was such a precious time of my own life (I was 18), so many beautiful things ---- I wish I were not so depressed

Maybe I should explain a bit more clearly about the "punishment" back in 1989. It was nothing like "labor camp" or "torture chamber" stuff in those movies ... It was the real Army Academy. The communist party did not want to abuse us physically or anything close to that. They just wanted to "change" us ---- the whole 93 class of Beijing University. A "brainwash" or something like that. However, the tide (democracy and liberty) already started, there was no way to turn it ---- even back in 1989. The funny thing about that "brainwash" was that in fact, many of the "washers" (middle to high rank officers of the Academy, considered core part of the communist party.) were "no better" than the "washees" (us) ------ we took courses of economy, politics, history and philosophy ... all ideology related stuff. Most of the officers were amazingly decent men, they taught us very good stuff ---- sometimes their direct blame on the Party even surprised me. And the field commanders actually took very good care of us, they treated us far better than the normal cadets (probably because they knew we were not really physically fit for those stuff.. ). One example was the teacher on modern economy, he was supposed to show us "the communism superiority" ---- but he gave us a lot of vivid examples of how many American or Japanese or European capitalists made great business out from bare hands, and at the same time, he showed us how corrupted and inefficient so many "nation-owned" enterprise in China were and how we failed ourselves and left our country in such a poverty. ---- of course, symbolically, at the end of his class, he had always to tell us, "of course, communism will be victorious" ---- we all laughed and he smiled

If you sent me your turn and after 24 hours, you still did not get anything from me, please be sure to post in the forum to ask for what is going on.

Remember, I ALWAYS reply within 24 hours, even if I do NOT have time to play my turn, in which case I will at least send you email to tell you that I will have to play it later, but I DO receive your turn.

Comment

That is a really interesting story...they made the whole class of 93 from the university attend military academy? did you at least get credit for the year or did you then have to make up that year?
        Publisher
        Armchair General Magazine
        Weider History Group

Comment

Originally posted by Keef
          That is a really interesting story...they made the whole class of 93 from the university attend military academy? did you at least get credit for the year or did you then have to make up that year?
          There has always been a routine one-month military training for ALL college students (usually this takes place at the freshmen year, but it can be delayed at the univ.'s request.). But this usually means basic physical training and discipline training stuff. Mostly just in the field and have some fun (students would go to nearby military camps, not to formal training facility or military schools.)

However, after 89 event, the big heads in the Party somehow felt that these kids need some repair ... esp. the ones in Beijing Univ. and Fudan Univ. (Shanghai) ---- so the whole class of the freshmen in these two schools were sent to two different military schools for a year-long training: designed to "brainwash" us And the result you already saw

Of course, usually the military schools cannot take a whole class of a major univ. ---- as a result, the class of 93 for both univ.'s were significantly reduced in size (as for Beijing Univ. from its usual 2000 to barely 800).

We basically do not get any credits transferable to Beijing Univ.'s normal program during that year because basically we took quite different type of things... oh.. except one thing: we took extensive english courses during that year, so we were able to carry that into the college (hmm... as a result, including myself, many of us took TOEFL soon and came to the US for graduate school... ) (TOEFL: test of english as a foreign language. It is an official test of english skills by the US for any foreigners to attend advanced schools(college and up) in the US.) ---- well, maybe in that sense, the Party did not really want to "change" us ... hhehe

Other than that, we did get a diploma from the Army Academy. We were all awarded a 2nd Lt. rank of the reserve force of PLA. (although I really suck at the field, I also got such a rank ... if there would ever be a platoon really under my command... you can imagine what kind of disaster that would be )

Comment

Originally posted by ER Chaser We were all awarded a 2nd Lt. rank of the reserve force of PLA. (although I really suck at the field, I also got such a rank ... if there would ever be a platoon really under my command... you can imagine what kind of disaster that would be ) [/B]
            "Nothing more dangerous than a 2nd Lt. with a map..."

:P
            "When I am abroad I always make it a rule never to criticize or attack the Government of my country. I make up for lost time when I am at home."

Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Shane Sohnle
              "Nothing more dangerous than a 2nd Lt. with a map..."

:P
              hehe.. CMBB, I would be represented as a unit:
              Conscript, Mot. Inf. 3 Bat. A Co. 2 Platoon HQ
              Morale -1 Combat -2 Command -1 Stealth 0

LoL

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X