Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medals stolen from NZ Army Museum

What a dispicible thing to do.

I was only at the museum a couple of months ago.....I sure hope they get them all back and catch whoever took them.

Here's the story: Source: http://www.stuff.co.nz/4306566a10.html

"Charles Upham's Victoria Cross and bar is among prestigious military medals stolen from the Waiouru Army Museum.

Nine Victoria Crosses, two George Crosses and other medals were stolen in the theft early today.

Museum staff discovered that several displays had been broken into, after the alarm was activated in an annex to the building sometime between midnight and 6am.

Chief of Army Major General Lou Gardiner told a press conference this afternoon that while a definitive list of the stolen medals was not available, the Victoria Cross for New Zealand medal awarded to Corporal Willie Apiata VC was not among the missing medals.

'Their theft is a theft from New Zealand and as such is a serious crime calling for the co-operation of all New Zealanders in their recovery.''

Museum executive trustee Don McIver said combined the medals could fetch "millions".

Major General Gardiner would not speculate on whether they were stolen to order, but said their value was in "what they symbolised".

Customs had been notified and had issued a border alert.

Ruapehu police area commander Steve Mastrovich said the burglary appeared to be well-planned.

"They broke in round the back through the fire escape and targeted the Alcove room where all the medals are kept and they took a select bunch of medals, particularly Victoria Crosses," he said.

"It doesn't look as if it was a spur of the moment thing."

He said it wasn't clear exactly what other medals had been taken as the crime scene had been secured until a forensics team could arrive.

"It was quite a stunning sort of offence really. It's quite amazing that anybody would target property like that, especially when you consider what the medals signify."

Police are asking anyone with information to call 0800 349 0606.

Medals taken include:

* Samuel Frickleton, VC -- WW1

* Leslie Andrew, VC -- WW1

* Randolph Ridling, Albert Medal -- WW1

* Reginald Judson, VC, DCM, MM -- WW1

* John Grant, VC -- WW1

* Harry Laurent, VC -- WW1

* Jack Hinton, VC -- WW2

* Clive Hulme, VC -- WW2

* Keith Elliott, VC -- WW2

* Charles Upham, VC and Bar -- WW2

* David Russell, GC -- WW2

* Ken Hudson, GC."

That shitze is beyond criminal...and the gawdamn perps better have a good reson for wanting to do that and there AINT no reason period. hence remind em of that just prior to shooting their sorry ass's.

b.
    CV

Comment

I hope they are found soon, some bent collector might get his dirty hands on them, if they find who did it i hope they get a heavy prison sentence.
      Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Sheeeit, it's sad that this sort of crap knows no borders.

They're just medals, they mean a lot to the nation, and to the individual, but what could they possible mean to a %#^%$ cretin?
        Life is change. Built models for decades.
        Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
        I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

I hope they catch the guys that did this. Please keep us posted.
          Those that forget history are condemed to repeat it.
          If you're going to be one you might as well be a BIG RED ONE

Comment

Hope they catch who did this
            "You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one color or just grabs a handful." -explaining why Reagan liked to have a jar of jelly beans on hand for important meetings

CO for 1st S.INC Shock Security Troop

Comment

Just like this guy, Justice had better get that thievin' ****....
              "This life..., you know, "the life." You’re not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you don’t shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Mann III View Post

Just like this guy, Justice had better get that thievin' ****....

Great picture, what is the story behind it?

Comment

Man Steals From Vetereans

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
                  Great picture, what is the story behind it?
                  Originally posted by Paul Mann III View Post
                  He's wearing a shirt that says I stole from Veterans....

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,292538,00.html

I posted this in August of this year.... The link should still be good....
                  "This life..., you know, "the life." You’re not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you don’t shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Good for the Judge.

Comment

This is disgraceful, this is a slap in the face of all NZers that have served their country. I hope some veterans get some time with the criminal(s) before they are turned over to the New Zealand Police Service.

Comment

Lord Ashcroft, who owns the world’s biggest collection of Victoria Crosses, has offered a reward for the recovery of 100 medals that were stolen in an audacious raid on a military museum in New Zealand.

The deputy chairman of the Conservative Party has put up about £75,000 for information about the medals, including nine VCs estimated to be worth a total of £3.3 million.

Lord Ashcroft said that he had been “horrified and outraged” by the break-in and theft of 12 groups of medals from the army museum in Waiouru, on the North Island.

Helen Clark, the New Zealand Prime Minister, described the raid as a crime against the nation that had “revolted the whole country"

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle3000142.ece
                        Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Lord Ashcroft, who owns the world’s biggest collection of Victoria Crosses, has offered a reward for the recovery of 100 medals that were stolen in an audacious raid on a military museum in New Zealand.

just curious Mike but does his reverence display them in a museum setting with the associated bio's or is this at his private residence...etc. I dont know the gent so an open mind is a good mind. got details?

best
                          CV

Comment

Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis View Post

just curious Mike but does his reverence display them in a museum setting with the associated bio's or is this at his private residence...etc. I dont know the gent so an open mind is a good mind. got details?

best
                            CV
                            Hope this explains CV.

http://www.lordashcroft.com/vccollection/

http://www.victoriacross.org.uk/vvashcro.htm

http://www.victoriacrossheroes.com/collection.html
                            Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Well done by his immenece now i hope that the following quotes from the sites provided are accomplished...

The trust has plans to open its collection to the public when a suitable location can be found.

Lord Ashcroft is delighted that before too long members of the public will have the opportunity to enjoy the VCs in the collection. He is also proud to have played a part in assembling this collection.

and soon.

Thanks Mike.

best
                              CV

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X