Hastings at Battle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hastings at Battle

I was recently in England and went to Battle to tour the site of The Battle of Hastings. It was very interesting. I knew that William had built a monastery there after the battle, but I didn't know it was as large as it was, or as important as it was. When Henry VIII attacked the Catholic Church, the monastery was emptied. One of the buildings is now a school. Also, there was an alter built on the site where it was believed that Harold died. We also went on a day when the BBC was going to interview someone. We ran into a gentleman dressed how a Norman would have looked on that date in 1066. He had built his own chainmail, own sword, little ax, bow and arrows. He had a shield as well with the Norman emblem. It was pretty cool, and we got our pictures taken with him. He wasn't able to get the sword tempered, but it still was very impressive. We didn't get to watch the interview, because he said it was happening later, but seeing someone dressed how a Norman Calvary person might look was very cool.

"You're riding high in April,
    Shot down in May
    But I know I'm gonna change that tune,
    When I'm back on top, back on top in June." 'That's Life'

Here's the tour I did for ACG:

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/artic...&page=1&cat=59

Dr. S.
    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Sinister View Post
      Here's the tour I did for ACG:

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/artic...&page=1&cat=59

Dr. S.
      Excellent link Dr. S. I have to admit I've never thought about what happens if Harold loses at Stamford Bridge. Great question! My sister and I enjoy talking about the Battle of Hastings and all the important changes in history that occured as a result. Our opinion is that there wouldn't be countries like the United States, Canada, Australia or New Zealand, if William hadn't won at Hastings. Also, you wouldn't have had the East India company and how that affected the history of India.

"You're riding high in April,
      Shot down in May
      But I know I'm gonna change that tune,
      When I'm back on top, back on top in June." 'That's Life'

Comment

Thanks, I enjoyed writing that one as you can probably tell.

Following that visit, some of my photos appeared in the print edition of ACG itself!

Dr. S.
        Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X