Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-34/85 ride and MG shoot Review

Gentleman start your engines.

I just returned from my trip to Princeton, Minnesota (1.5 hours north of the Mall of America). I have stated within this forum that I was going on a tank ride/MG shoot on June 4th.

Here is my review of the trip.

While it took nearly 6 hours to get their and I had to lug my son and wife all the way up there it was well worth the drive. Not only did we ride(I was the gunner) in an authentic WW2 Soviet T-34, we also sampled some of the finer MGs of the War.

Lets cover the T-34 first. If you are over 6 feet tall or claustrophobic you may not want to be where I sat, but being 5'7" I had no problems squeezing into the gunners position. There are no creature comforts in this baby, this is not Uncle Sams M1A2. I assumed the gunners role while a friend of mine was in command. On our tour we encountered Allied (yes Allied, this tank was captured by the Germans)anti-tank guns firing simulated cannon fire, I was instructed to turn the turret left, only guided by the constant taping on my left shoulder from the commander, when he slapped my head, I found my target and destroyed it with simulated 85MM shells. We also rolled over cars, lawn mowers and other items. It was loud and you could smell diesel fumes and I loved it. Although the ride was short (15 min) it was well worth it to say, I rode in a tank that helped destroy the German Army. Overall grade "B"

Now to the big fun. Who doesn't want to shoot a MG at multiple targets?
    After getting a quick histroy lesson on some of the guns that were lined up for our pleasure, some old MG42, MP40, BAR and others, some new AK47, M16, FN-FAL to name a few. We decided to sample some of the older stuff, since we own the civilian versions of the M16 and AK.
    The first thing I grabbed was the MG42..what a weapon, I cant blame countries for still using this weapon. This was an original German made MG42, what a rush of letting 25 rds go in a matter of seconds. Before I new it my 50 rd belt was gone. Then I grabbed the Bar, this also was sweet. My 20 rd magazine was emptied in no time, making waste to small floating targets in a pond and along the shore. And just for kicks, i sampled an UZI, silenced no less. It was similar to shooting my ruger .22, no kick and really quiet, fun to see the rounds hit the water.

I could go on forever about the fun that can be had at www.Tankride.com, this is not for the faint at heart, its loud, dirty and all testosterone baby.

Overall experience was an A-, minus because the tank ride was shorter than expected. I highly recomend that if you have an extra $200.00 burning a hole in your pocket you get to Princeton,MN and shoot some MGs and ride in a authentic WW2 killing machine.

Pictures to follow
    CD
    "History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." Dwight D. Eisenhower

I have been to the tank museum at Boddington here in the U.K which is pretty educational, but no way can i compete with riding around in a `T Shop` , sounds really good.

Comment

Sounds cool.....I wanna shoot some of those old WWII MGs.
      "In mathematics you don't understand things. You just get used to them."
      - Johann von Neumann

"Never in the face of human conflict has so much been owed by so many to so few."
      - Winston Churchill

Comment

I understand in the T-34 the commander guides the driver by tapping his back/shoulders with his feet. Low tech and kind of like guiding a horse but I bet it works extremely well, just like all low-tech Russian ideas.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
        --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

Originally posted by creeping death
          The first thing I grabbed was the MG42..what a weapon, I cant blame countries for still using this weapon.
          Do you happen to know which countries still use it?

Comment

Mg42

Originally posted by Ryan101st
            Do you happen to know which countries still use it?
            According to our esteemed host, there are a few countries that still used into the first Gulf war. Im 99% sure he mentioned Pakistan as one of the countries using it, because of the ease of production and reliability. If you would like i can certainly talk to Bob Bowman (host) and double check.

CD
            "History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Italy and Germany I think also the Dutch. Thou actualy the use a slightly modified version called the MG3.

Comment

I envy you creeping deth
                Oh and welcome to the forums, Kreta
                All warfare is based on deception.

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

New Pics of the trip

Here are some pics of my trip and T-34 ride.
                    Got plenty more if you want to see them.

CD
                    Attached Files

Comment

That is the real deal , you lucky dog! Thanks
                      for the cool pics and the description!
                      SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Germany actually has a revised version, the MG3.

I would love to go there and ride an actual T34, but the 1,000 mile drive is kinda pushing me away.

Comment

I wouldn't hold a MG42 like that Creeping Death. Your left hand would have become a might bit toasty if you had fired more rounds.
                          It's time for Coffee Talk. The Blitzkrieg was neither blitz nor krieg. Discuss.

Comment

Good Call

Originally posted by jasperdog3329
                            I wouldn't hold a MG42 like that Creeping Death. Your left hand would have become a might bit toasty if you had fired more rounds.
                            YOU WIN!

I was waiting for someone to call me on the way I was holding the gun and or the fact that there a guy down range in a red shirt.
                            The pic was taken after we were done shooting, I am posing for the camera.

CD

Comment

The thing I like about ww1 and ww2 weapons are, these guns actualy killed people, they are a part of history, and now I'm shooting them.
                              PvtJohnson

Hold your ground men, hold your ground!

Don't be a fool, wrap your tool.

If your not mad enough to bare nuckel box, your not mad at all.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X