Holland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holland

Will be visiting Holland next month and would appreciate any thoughts on the more interesting WWII related sites and museums. ONly one that comes to mind is Arnhem, but does it have an established museum of vistors centre or just the famous 'bridge too far'?

Thanks in advance.

RM, glad to hear of your intention and your welcome!
    FYI: the whole Market Garden Area is crawling with museums and memorial sites. Most famous one is the Airborne Museum in Hotel Hartenstein in Oosterbeek. As you are an aficionado I don't have to explain you the importance of the location.

http://www.airbornemuseum.com

Apart form the exhibition the museum also organises guided tours.

Additionally their site has lots of links to other major and minor museums inside and outside of the M-G area: the National Liberation museum in Nijmegen (82nd area); Wings of Liberation museum in Best (101st area); the National War and Resistance Museum in Overloon (Corridor) etc.
    If you require further (or inside ) information please don't hesitate to PM me.
    BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

Even though it seems to much obvious, I wouldn't miss John Frost Bridge, must be quite something!

Comment

Hmm

Having just returned I can give you dozens of places to go. i can't tell you how to get there but I have some solid ideas.
        There are many bridges to check out, monuments, churches. I think it was mentioned but there is an Airborne Museum in Hartenstein.
        Also, a monument in Opheusden where the Major Oliver Horton was killed.
        Lots of Band of Brothers stuff if you are interested in that.
        Here are a couple pictures.

Chad
        Attached Files
        "History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Excellent responses, guys, really appreciate your effort.

I have a good friend in Holland so organisation and travel shouldn't be too much of an obstacle.

Comment

Did a photoshoot in Holland years ago for Militaria Magazine...The Dutch are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet!...
            Don't just do it.... Over do it!!

Comment

Originally posted by eyemo View Post
              Did a photoshoot in Holland years ago for Militaria Magazine...The Dutch are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet!...

The french mag? didn't know you worked for them too

Comment

I worked for the English Edition... Until it was dropped... It was a good mag!...
                Don't just do it.... Over do it!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X