Tankfest...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tankfest...

If your a Tank nut (Like I am) and looking for somewhere to go this weekend...Don't miss "TANKFEST". Held at one of the UKs finest museums. Bovington Tank Museum.. ...Mmmmhhh Tiger 1...
    Don't just do it.... Over do it!!

Originally posted by eyemo View Post
    If your a Tank nut (Like I am) and looking for somewhere to go this weekend...Don't miss "TANKFEST". Held at one of the UKs finest museums. Bovington Tank Museum.. ...Mmmmhhh Tiger 1...
    Thanks for teasing us! I wish I could go.

CD
    "History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

It's on every year...plan now for 2008 !!

Comment

It's on every year...plan now for 2008 !!
        We ARE! Assuming the same basic dates, we are planning a trip in Late June early July for next year and this will be our first stop. We're just trying to decide whether to tie it to a Normandy trip or to something in England.
        Tray Green

www.abandofgamers.com

Battlefield Tours for Wargamers
        Normandy 2007
        ACW Border Wars 2008
        Bulge 2008

Comment

Got Back late last night....Fantastic show...Wow!! that Tiger I Rocks....Great to see Dr. S... Even though we live on the same island, we don't meet up that often...Thanks for your company Dr.S...Your a Gent.

We at ACG will keep you up to speed with what's happening at the Tank museum...Maybe we could give you guys a list of "what's on" when you decide to visit us...

Comment

Got Back late last night....Fantastic show...Wow!! that Tiger I Rocks....Great to see Dr. S... Even though we live on the same island, we don't meet up that often...Thanks for your company Dr.S...Your a Gent.

We at ACG will keep you up to speed with what's happening at the Tank museum...Maybe we could give you guys a list of "what's on" when you decide to visit us...

Please do. I have visited the web site a couple of times and need to contact the museum to confirm some dates for next year. We are looking to be in Europe in late June early July and again in October in '08 and would love to include Bovington in our list of stops somehow.

CD - if we can swing adding Bovington, do you think I could entice you to return to Europe for Bulge or Market Garden?
            Tray Green

www.abandofgamers.com

Normandy 2007
            ACW Border Wars 2008
            Bulge 2008

Comment

Will do... I'll contact the museum and maybe a member of their staff will join the ACG forum......

Comment

My full report on this year's TankFest will follow, as usual, but although there was some good stuff, there, I thought this year wasn't a patch on last year's show. And no, I'm not blaming that on the torrential rain - as it threw it down last year as well. Unfortunately, the museum is currently undergoing a MAJOR renovation and so the chaps in the workshops have their work cut out for them as some pieces of armour that haven't moved in decades need to be placed in the new building shortly - thus I guess they had less time to get some of the machines running for this year's show.

Having said that, here are a few short, shaky videos I took. The Tiger I even participated in a battle - and it sounds even better than last year!

Oh, and it was good to meet up with Seimon again, I'm usually so knackered at the end of every day I don't even answer the 'phone to the poor chap! The hypnotic drugs I placed in your chips will soon take effect BTW.

Dr. S.
                Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Hey Traygreen, stonehedge isn't too far from Bovington, this is how i con my wife into going i mean begged her. You can take a train from London and then a quick bus ride. Unfortunatly the Tiger wasn't there when i went

The people were great too, are bus got back to the depot just before the train was going to leave and my wife and i were thinking this isn't our train?
                  We had two very nice people on the bus tell us we should hurry and that it was our train, even the driver helped us out

I've been wanting to go back ever since!
                  Life is what happens to you when your busy making other plans! Lennon - www.lufttiger.com

Comment

Congrats on getting your wife to go. Mine is more interested in theatre/shopping. She would gladly do Stonehenge, but a day at Bovington or Saumur....

We have a couple of wives going with us on the Normandy tour this year and have been kicking around a Generalist tour in the UK that would include alternative stops on some of the days and including some of the "normal" stops.

We just don't have a feel for how it will work. 16-20 gamers spending a week going to military history stops & museums is a hoot but it takes a special kind of un-interested spouse/significant other to tag along for a week.

I am still waiting for my wife to go along. I have 2 kids in High School and it will likely be after they graduate before she tags along.
                    Tray Green

www.abandofgamers.com

Normandy 2007
                    ACW Border Wars 2008
                    Bulge 2008

Comment

My Friend Steve Lee has a guest house about 200yards from Utah Beach (a few miles away from dead mans corner) Steve is a keen militaria collector and knows the area like the back of his hand. If you want to find out more about the guest house, I'll gladly send you a link.

Comment

My Friend Steve Lee has a guest house about 200yards from Utah Beach (a few miles away from dead mans corner) Steve is a keen militaria collector and knows the area like the back of his hand. If you want to find out more about the guest house, I'll gladly send you a link.
                        Please do. We have the group staying near Carentan at Chateau Bellenau but am always looking for locals to meet up with esp if they know a bit about the subject matter we are looking at.
                        Tray Green

www.abandofgamers.com

Normandy 2007
                        ACW Border Wars 2008
                        Bulge 2008

Comment

See below..

Dear Editors,

I thought that I would contact you as I took part in a photo shoot for Armchair General with Seimon Pugh Jones when he stayed at our House in June this year, which was a great experience and I now appreciate how much hard work goes into the photo reconstructions you feature in your Magazine.

I live in La Madeleine with my wife Sarah where we run our Guest House and Gites, I would like to offer a discount to all of your readers, any Armchair Genral readers who stay with us at Ivy House will be given a 10% discount.

Ivy House is situated in the small village of La Madeleine just behind the beach where the US 4th Div and elements of US 90th Div landed on D-Day June 6th 1944. Only five minutes walk away is Utah Beach Museum which is well worth visiting. Five minutes drive away is Brecourt Manor (where Winters and some of Easy Company 506th took out the four howitzers) and the memorial where Lt. Meehanís C47 crashed (made famous by Band of Brothers), Ste.Marie du Mont, Carentan is ten minutes drive away and Ste Mere Eglise is about quarter of an hourís drive and is the home of the Airborne Museum (highly recommended) and Static Line Militaria Shop. From the museum at Utah Beach you can follow the coast road for 15km to Quinneville with amazing views and lots of Blockhouses to explore, in Quinneville there is a good Museum (which is about to be taken over) and QMC Militaria Shop which I recommend a visit to. About 40 minutes drive from us is Barneville Carteret where you can catch the ferry (itís only 8 miles) to Jersey where you can explore the island and visit the German Hospital and various Bunkers, further down the coast is the Museum at Avranches and the Mont St.Michel, all worth a visit. In the opposite direction you can be at Point du Hoc and Omaha Beach in about 30 minutes and Pegasus Bridge and Caen can be reached in under an hour.

The house has two luxury Bedrooms for guests complete with en-suite bathrooms and WC, breakfast is served every morning between 7am and 9am and the beach is only five minutes walk away. We also have two self-catering Gites, one sleeps up to 4 people and the other one is really designed for a couple but can sleep 3/4 people also. There is a private garden for guests with a view down to La Madeleine Dunes, plenty of parking (for Military Vehicles also), a Barbecue area and a small bar with a Pool Table.

Ivy House takes itís name from the 4th US Infantry Division which liberated our house on the morning of 6th June 1944. Myself and my wife Sarah own a Jeep and are both very interested in WW2 History, Reenactment and especially the history surrounding the Battle of Normandy. Any readers of the Armchair General Magazine will be made very welcome at Ivy House, for more details please visit our website at www.ivyhousefrance.com

Regards,

Steve & Sarah Lee
                          Ivy House ~Utah Beach
                          0033 2 33 71 06 57 (dialed from the UK)
                          www.ivyhousefrance.com

Thank you for this offer for our readers! I hope to be able to make it to Normandy sometime in my life, as well as many of the battlefields of Europe. Perhaps when I retire.

To any ACG readers interested in taking advantage of this, donít forget to take your latest issue as proof of readership.

Best,

Brian King
                          Website Editor
                          Armchair General

*Please note that ACG magazine does not endorse, promote or have any affiliation with Ivy House. This is simply a public service announcement.

Comment

[QUOTE=eyemo;716543]See below..

Dear Editors,

I thought that I would contact you as I took part in a photo shoot for Armchair General with Seimon Pugh Jones....QUOTE]

Thanks. I have dropped them an email.
                            Tray Green

www.abandofgamers.com

Normandy 2007
                            ACW Border Wars 2008
                            Bulge 2008

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X