German Reichstag building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• German Reichstag building

I remembered that I had some interesting photos from a visit to the german bundestag and the reichtag building in Berlin. The building was a main target for the soviet offensive into berlin, and it took a good deal beating from allied air raids as well (not to mention that Hitler torched it before that). Today its all reconstructed and its really magnificient and is really unique in many aspects.

Anyway, the germans have decided to remind themselves of their history in a very interesting way. The walls of the building is completely empty, just plain stone walls with one exception...

Its covered with graffiti from allied troops that fought or just visited the building. Scanning the walls its possible to find everything from orders to messages to friends and famillies scribbled on the walls, both in russian as well as in english.

Bigger picture on the graffiti
    Last edited by Pergite; 11 Mar 07, 03:33.
    "The secret of war lies in the communications" - Napoleon Bonaparte

Interesting...
    I had this same impression that the Germans seem to be coping with their past pretty well. Last autumn I visited the newly opened German historical museum in Berlin and it was refreshingly open and honest about what happened in the Third Reich.
    Just hope they will show that same atttitude soon for the German Military Museum in Dresden, see my earlier post: https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/node/30270
    Last edited by Colonel Sennef; 10 Mar 07, 06:44.
    BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

Originally posted by captainsennef View Post
      Interesting...
      I had this same impression that the Germans seem to be coping with their past pretty well. Last autumn I visited the newly opened German historical museum in Berlin and it was refreshingly open and honest about what happened in the Third Reich.
      Just hope they will show that same atttitude soon for the German Military Museum in Dresden, see my earlier post: https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/node/30270
      I have been to the museum in Dresden as well (spent some time at the lovely Officersschule des Heeres). What I understand was that the museum was under construction and understandably being rather low on the priority list of the town (considering that the entire town center has been built up from scratch as well as the recent floodings). I dont think that the east german goverment had much thoughts into preserving old wehrmacht stuff.

Another great example about how they remember their history is their HQ in Berlin where a large part of the building has been turned into a permanent reminder of the Nazi opression as well as the resistance against Hitler. Von Stauffenberg for example, has a small monument just outside the main entrence.

Concerning the army school in Dresden, it was a nice feeling to be able to spend some time where all the german military leaders have gotten their training, from preussia up to the current date (Rommel thaught there for example). The boards for the graduating classes during the more darker years where however almost shamefully put in the shade in a garden behind some large buildings. But that is the bundeswher I guess, they officaly only trace their history back to the end of WW2, then there is a huge void of the two world wars.

Comment

When I visited the Reichstag 20 years ago, i seem to remember that is was mostly a museum. IIRC the title of the exhibit was "Where Did German History Go Wrong?"

Comment

Where Did German History Go Wrong?

Originally posted by steveinns View Post
          "Where Did German History Go Wrong?"
          Interesting question! You could start a thread with that same question here at ACG and probably get loads of replies. Did the Germans at the exhibition come up with an answer?

Welcome to the forums by the way...
          BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

If you are in any way interested in the Third Reich then I would urge you to visit Berlin. Great City!
            "The Eastern front is like a house of cards. If the front is broken through at one point all the rest will collapse."- General Heinz Guderian

"Oakland Raiders: Committed to Excellence"

Comment

Originally posted by Pergite View Post
              Its covered with graffiti from allied troops that fought or just visited the building. Scanning the walls its possible to find everything from orders to messages to friends and famillies scribbled on the walls, both in russian as well as in english.

Bigger picture on the graffiti

Perhaps some of our Russian members can decipher some of the graffiti ??
              Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

I visited the Reichstag in 1973 & 1983 when the units I was in went to then West Berlin for city combat training with the Berlin Bde.At the end of our week long training they took us on a tour of West Berlin and then a little trip through the looking glass via Checkpoint Charlie to East Berlin.The contrast was amazing.
                If you Ain't Cav,You Ain't S---

Comment

Originally posted by steveinns View Post
                  When I visited the Reichstag 20 years ago, i seem to remember that is was mostly a museum. IIRC the title of the exhibit was "Where Did German History Go Wrong?"
                  Half the building that house the Bundeswehr military high command in Berlin has been turned into a museum dedicated the atrocities caused by the nazis, as well as the german resistance against it. Von Stauffenberg for example has a little memorial just outside the entrance to the HQ.

Both Berlin as well as Dresden was sprawling with construction and renovation of old buildings. And if you want to be amazed about how much has changed, I would recommend you all to make a visit.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X