Announcement

Collapse

New Site - PLEASE READ

Hello All,
My name is Ashley and I am the one that moved the forum to its new hosting location. This was done for security reasons and try to keep the forum from going down every other day. I understand that the new forum looks very different from the old one but I promise almost everything you had before you still have it might just be in a different place.

Items that are gone due to a limitation of the new hosting/ forum update:
- Awards
- Flags

As I was going thought your posts I was able to fix a lot fo the issues you were listing. Below is kind of a running list of issues an what is fixed and what I am still working on.

Items that I have fixed from your comments:
- Smilie are now working.
- Color/Theme changes
- Signature are now showing up. (Here is how to edit them https://screencast.com/t/OJHzzhiV1)
- Ranking is now showing up.
- Private messaging is now working.

Some issues I am still working on are:
- Missing items from the Calendar
- Like button the posts is giving an error.

One other note I have seen a lot is theme/color related items. I know this is important to all of you but at the moment the most important thing was getting you back a functioning forum with as many features I can get you back from before.

Theme/color is something we can change but it the moment I do not have the time and resources to fix all of the issue and design the site. I did do some theme updates yesterday but it is very time consuming. Please just be patient with the forum as we get it back to as close as I can to what you had before.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know in the post below. Please give me as much detail as possible .
https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/forum/world-history-group-welcomes-you/armchair-general-magazine/5034776-new-site-please-read
See more
See less

The 'all new' National Army Museum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 'all new' National Army Museum

I see that the P.C correct, liberal-lefty post-graduates finally got their 'project' for the all new National Army Museum up and running.

I have been to this museum many times and thought it the (along with Des Invalides in Paris) the best there is.

I was worried when the powers that be decided to close the museum for a three year refurbishment from 2014 to 2017, seeing as the closure coincided with huge significant centenary, bicentenary and Sexcentenary dates, namely the outbreak of WWI, the battle of the Somme, battle of Waterloo/end of the Napoleonic Wars. and Agincourt. But it seems that 'afaiac' my fears have been born out.

https://www.nam.ac.uk/

I'm going there tomorrow so will report back with my thoughts, but going by what I've seen in the link above, I may be fuming!

Paul
    ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
    All human ills he can subdue,
    Or with a bauble or medal
    Can win mans heart for you;
    And many a blessing know to stew
    To make a megloamaniac bright;
    Give honour to the dainty Corse,
    The Pixie is a little shite.

I was once there before arpund 2006 and liked it, though IWM was more interesting. I can't bothered with screenshots, but when you open the page this is what you see on the cover

Britain's most highly decorated ass

followed by

What's on at the National Army Museum

Feminism late

At our first ever late opening, we’re exploring whether feminism has been good for the army.

Diversity and the army

Well, at least the British army museum is still in the capitol, the Spanish Army museum was moved to a far away town so less people will visit it, with the added bonus for cultural Marxists of erasing the Civil War story of the Alcázar de Toledo.

Sadly army museums have become decaffeinated. I didn't think much of Les Invalides when I visited a couple years ago, and the one at Vienna seemed empty, with few exhibits, but maybe they were doing renovations.
    CANNON, n.
    An instrument employed in the rectification of national boundaries.

The Devil's Dictionary, Ambrose Bierce

http://guerraenucrania.wordpress.com/

http://pinturasdeguerra.tumblr.com/

http://pinturasdeguerra-mar.tumblr.com/

Comment

Well I can tell you that for all the £23.75m ($30m) in redevelopment spent on it, the N.A.M has taken a turn for the worse. as I feared, P.C, Pop and TV culture has taken centre stage, very few exhibits on show and you can walk round the entire museum in twenty minutes.

The museum shop has very little to offer (Though I brought a copy of Nigel Sale's 'The Lie at the Heart of the Battle of Waterloo)

there are exhibits which are not labeled or not informative enough, for instance, the grand portrait of the Marquis of Grandby is devoid of any accompanying information, and for anyone to find out who the picture is of, one has to look to a display case to it's right where they will see a porcelain figure of the same person with his name. The Napoleonic uniforms and relics number about a couple of dozen and even here they label William Polhill's dress jacket worn at the battle without stating what regiment he belonged to. As for the rest of the relics before 1700, there are very few.

But what makes this revamp doubly disappointing as far as I'm concerned, is that the Time Machine exhibits are no longer on display. These were the full-life Gerry Embleton figures which were both fantastic and so lifelike. Here is a link to the work that they do. http://time-machine.ch/

The Museum has missed a trick with the Siborne Waterloo battlefield diorama model too. OK, It's in as good a condition as it has ever been but why oh why did they not display it in a manner where it could be walked completely around instead of being shoved in a corner as they have decided to do here.

If anyone is planning a visit, (I used to recommend it to anyone visiting but I can't any longer) I hope you enjoy the couple of dozen neon pub-sign type displays on one of the walls, the huge, empty entrance and reception area (and boy do I mean Huge). Oh! I asked for a Museum brochure and was politely told that they hadn't got one at the moment due to problems with the publishers

I thought that when I got there I would be pleasantly surprised; I was surprised but the pleasant part was non-existant, infact I was disgusted.

So If you happen to be caught out in the rain in passing the Museum, you should have a look around, if the weather is anything else.....Walk on by.

I used to love this Museum, I can't now!

I give it 1/5

Paul

Comment

When I was in relatively easy reach I used to use the library and had a readers ticket. Recently for my MA dissertation I needed to look at a WW1 diary that they hold and had to make a trip to the temporary archives at Stevenage. I always found the staff in both extremely helpful - I hope that this has not changed. I look on the place as a knowledge repository rather than a walk around museum.
        Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
        Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

"The Lie at the Heart of the Battle of Waterloo"

What is it then ?
          High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.
          Major Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post

What is it then ?
            We won.
            That rug really tied the room together

Comment

That would be a surprising development, yes
              High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.
              Major Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post

What is it then ?
                It's a babbling book about how it was really the 52nd that beat and routed French army at Waterloo. An opinionated tome with the same old discount/dismiss as erroneous or lies, accounts that don't fit his Ideas of what happened but flag up the ones that do fit, as accurate. It's that simple.

The 52nd did well at Waterloo and deserve the accolade of performing a pivotal action, but so did the Guards, So did the Army and so did the allies as a whole.

It seems that Sale has a bee in his bonnet with the Duke, because the 52nd weren't singled out and given their 'true' recognition.

I started reading the book the day after my visit to the N.A.M, I have read 112 pages so far, I intend to read it all but It will not be an urgent undertaking.

Paul
                Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 08 Jun 17, 21:00.

Comment

I have fond memories of the NAM.
                  Not as overwhelming as the IWM but still good and definitely worth a visit by any ACG member.

Sorry to hear Paul and thnx 4 sharing.

As von J. noticed there might to be an Europe-wide development to 'decaffeinate' military museums by making them politically correct
                  e.g. by arranging exhibitions around themes like 'feminism'.

Or even more radical as in Spain and the Netherlands by locating them out of the capital or by emptying them of content as in Vienna.
                  Come to think of it, it seems that only in countries where democracy is less well established military museums get full attention.
                  Perhaps policy makers in democratic countries fear that military museums glorify war?
                  To me it rather sends the message that democracy is not worth fighting for, as if it exists and will continue to exist all by itself.
                  BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X