No announcement yet.

The rest of the USS Arizona

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it still leaking oil, or has it finally run out?

Comment

When i was there in 2000 I was looking out from the Memorial towards the Missouri, and saw a lump of black stuff slowly rise to the surface. I was obviously too large to be held in my 2 hands, roughly 10" by 6".

Very moving place. RIP
      The PLO claims ALL of Israel!!! There will and can NEVER be a "2 State solution".

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
        Looking at it on Google Earth make me a bit skeptical to it's ID. Outlines are to straight to be just a pile and looks like it was built there.
        https://www.google.com/search?q=uss+...w=1380&bih=762
        Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
        Hyperwar, Whats New
        World War II Resources
        The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

Tks
          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

David Aiken* has been all over that stuff, I don't know if his photo collection is online right now.

*David is one of the Directors of the Pearl Harbor History Association, the organization that took custody of the Pearl Harbor Survivors Association when they disbanded recently.
            Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
            Hyperwar, Whats New
            World War II Resources
            The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

Originally posted by Hetzer 15 View Post
              I have also seen the drops of oil come up from the bottom, from her fuel bunkers...no telling how much oil there is still left in the bunkers either. The Ship sits idle and stands as a marker for all to see, and forever a reminder that freedom is not free...

Many of those battleships, were repaired(some took longer than others) and served a fine tour of duty, as bombardmant ships for the many assaults on island mini-fortresses, and such. Afterward, they were pretty much turned into razor brades, except for a few, that are now museum ships, like the USS TEXAS, for example.

You can still see the 2 guns they used for coastal artillery, at a museum (a small one too!) near the hotel area(IIRC). They are just laying on a concrete rooftop, not emplaced or anything. They were fired only one time, and many glass window were broke and the like, and the population was also not thrilled about it...so further tests were stopped. The Museum was not much other than you could hold and aim a Russian DsHK heavy machine gun with AAA reticle...a pretty beefed up gun...impressive.
              Well, the USS Arkansas ended her days getting literally blown out of the water, probably the only battleship in history to have that actually happen to it.

That large black blob on the right of the blast column of water is the Arkansas standing on her bow, being blown out of the water...

Comment

Originally posted by Wooden Wonder View Post
                Is it still leaking oil, or has it finally run out?
                It is still leaking out. I believe it is around 2 quarts per day.
                Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X