The rest of the USS Arizona

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The rest of the USS Arizona

Still to this day, the rest of Arizona (her superstructure that was removed) lies quietly and out of site on Waipio Point. Her remains were moved there and almost forgotten about. There they rust away!
    All the other WW2 and after activities on the point are now gone and all that remains are the rusting remnants of Arizona!
    If you use Bing maps or Wikimapia look to the area of the circle in the trees and shrubs. The pile stands right out!
    Waipio Penninsula.jpg
    USSArizona.jpg
    Cranes removing Arizona's damaged superstructure. It is sad that these decks on which men died were tossed into the brush and remain there after all these years!
    Arizona1.jpg

(OK, how do you guys get the big photos on the posts? I can't seem to find that info anywhere! Or, am I having a 'senior' moment?)

Interesting...thanks for posting!

-Matt
    SGT, 210th MP Battalion, 2nd MP BDE, MSSG

Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!

Comment

Yes, quite sad. I'm surprised the veterans groups did not take up the job of preserving those pieces. I take it that location is off limits to the general public.
      "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
      -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

Originally posted by Twitter3 View Post
        Yes, quite sad. I'm surprised the veterans groups did not take up the job of preserving those pieces. I take it that location is off limits to the general public.
        Yep, you need permission to visit the relics. Park Service IIRC.
        Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
        Hyperwar, Whats New
        World War II Resources
        The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

A recent show on the History Channel profiled the Arizona's rusting remains on Waipio Point. Much of it was unidentifiable, twisted piles of steel plates from her superstructure.
          "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

I'm suprised most of that was not used. Repairing other ships, or sent back to the steel foundrys.

Comment

I am too.

-Matt
              SGT, 210th MP Battalion, 2nd MP BDE, MSSG

Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!

Comment

The Arizona's primary and secondary armament, with the exception of it's No.1 main gun turret were removed and used on other battleships. Arizona's No. 3 and 4 gun turrets were later used as coastal artillery batteries on Oahu. Known as "Battery Arizona", the instalation was built and the guns test fired at around the same time as the atomic bombs were dropped on Japan in August, 1945.

The remaining superstructure was probably too much of a bother to break-up before being loaded aboard a ship to be melted down in blast furnaces back in the states. Ship cargo space was at a premium at the time and not something to be wasted.
                "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

When you think about it, keeping the remains of Arizona's hull as a monument is a rather grim thing to do in the first place.
                  Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    When you think about it, keeping the remains of Arizona's hull as a monument is a rather grim thing to do in the first place.
                    Hundreds of men were vaporized in the big blast, so it's a tomb, and best left alone to my mind.
                    Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
                    Hyperwar, Whats New
                    World War II Resources
                    The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

Interesting thread and posts.
                      I had no idea.
                      It's not my place to second guess the government and what they did right after the attack at Pearl Harbor.
                      I guess preparing for war was more important than finding another place to put the pieces of the Arizona.
                      "Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Comment

The Arizona is the resting place of over 1100 sailors!

It is in fact a mass grave. Entombed are the remains of 1177 Americans.
                        The rest of Arizona (her superstructure) deserves the same respect and reverence. Some 100 pieces of the steel artifacts have been distributed to certain groups and locations.
                        Here is a WSJ story from 2007 that gives quite a bit of information!
                        http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119672450795312374.html
                        Funny, how this "strictly secret area" is so clearly obvious when viewed these days on satellite images.
                        http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...1&d=1319874015
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by SlaterDoc View Post
                          It is in fact a mass grave. Entombed are the remains of 1177 Americans.
                          The rest of Arizona (her superstructure) deserves the same respect and reverence. Some 100 pieces of the steel artifacts have been distributed to certain groups and locations.
                          Here is a WSJ story from 2007 that gives quite a bit of information!
                          http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119672450795312374.html
                          Funny, how this "strictly secret area" is so clearly obvious when viewed these days on satellite images.
                          http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...1&d=1319874015
                          Thank you, and welcome.
                          "Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Comment

SlaterDoc- the wreckage is actually about 50 yards to the south of the western corner of disturbed clear area.

Comment

I visited the Arizona Memorial over Christmas. It was very moving with an excellent documentary prior to taking the launch out to the memorial itself.

The memorial is a fitting and well done tribute. If you look out one of the open bays of the memorial you see the Missouri - which is also appropriate.

Chopping up part of the Arizona during WWII to help win the war was the right thing to do.

Since we already have an excellent memorial, why pick nits over some of the parts that were removed during the salvage operation? The memorial and the museum area (which is pretty recent) are all well done. Why mess with something the US Government actually did right?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X