Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Trump Impeachment scenario

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A Trump Impeachment scenario

    I'm putting this here because it is definitely an alternate future history scenario of the extreme sort. I think it's more appropriate than in the North America section.

    Anyway, here it is:

    The Democrats keep their various investigations of Trump up, calling for impeachment. But all they do is "investigate." Behind the scenes, their party leadership works to make sure they absolutely have the votes to impeach in the House. They also do some legwork in the Senate trying to maximize the vote there. The MSM keeps up a steady barrage of negative stories on Trump, each more shrill than the last.

    At the same time, things proceed towards the 2020 election. The Democrats choose their candidate, and that candidate and Trump are campaigning towards the November election. It doesn't matter what the polls are saying particularly in the weeks leading up to the election, but let's say it looks close at best, and that the Democrat will lose by some margin at worst.

    About six weeks out from election day, the Democrats hold a vote in the House and impeach Trump. The charges are the sort we're seeing now, with lots of hearsay, innuendo, guessing, and other iffy material involved. But, they toss it all out there and vote successfully to impeach Trump. They and the MSM try to spin the impeachment as one of clear massive criminal conduct.

    It goes to the Senate where there's a trial held. The Democrats want to force Trump to testify at it. The MSM goes insane with outrage that Trump isn't out of office and off the deep end with negative horror stories about the administration. Both the Democrats and MSM want the Senate to vote prior to the election occurring. The trial will take several weeks to work its way to the floor for a vote at the earliest, so it's just a few to a couple of weeks before the election when it happens.

    There are two outcomes possible:

    Trump is acquitted and not impeached. But, his campaign is badly disrupted by the process. What do you think the public's reaction to all this would be?

    The other possibility is Trump is impeached. He is turned out of office just a few weeks before the election. The Republicans have no alternate candidate and no time to run a campaign due to the closeness of the election. What do you think the public's reaction to that would be.

    Personally, I think either way the Democrats find themselves absolutely slammed in the election. Instead of support, the public turns against them in what's widely perceived as dirty politics, and even a coup to gain the presidency.

    What do you think?

  • #2
    Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    I'm putting this here because it is definitely an alternate future history scenario of the extreme sort. I think it's more appropriate than in the North America section.

    Anyway, here it is:

    The other possibility is Trump is impeached. He is turned out of office just a few weeks before the election. The Republicans have no alternate candidate and no time to run a campaign due to the closeness of the election. What do you think the public's reaction to that would be.
    He almost certainly would be "impeached" in the house which basically just means "indicted".

    Also almost certainly not convicted and removed, as there just aren't 20 senators willing to convict.
    Interestingly, even if they chucked him out of office he'd still be on the ballot and eligible to be elected UNLESS the Senate also bars him from future office.

    Florida congressman Alcee Hastings was removed from the federal bench for taking bribes, but as the Senate didn't bar him from future government office he was eligible (and now is ) elected to Congress.

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcee_Hastings

    Comment


    • #3
      If he isn't convicted, he will win in a landslide thanks to backlash from honest Americans. If he loses and is impeached, the following government'swill fail because all presidents from then on will have to pass the impeachment process based on manufactured evidence, because that will now be the standard test for every presidency and that is impossible for any Democrat in America to pass, and most Republicans as well.
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Freebird View Post

        He almost certainly would be "impeached" in the house which basically just means "indicted".

        Also almost certainly not convicted and removed, as there just aren't 20 senators willing to convict.
        Interestingly, even if they chucked him out of office he'd still be on the ballot and eligible to be elected UNLESS the Senate also bars him from future office.

        Florida congressman Alcee Hastings was removed from the federal bench for taking bribes, but as the Senate didn't bar him from future government office he was eligible (and now is ) elected to Congress.

        https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcee_Hastings
        Ah, but it happening so close to the election, the public will almost certainly see it as an attempted coup to derail the Republicans and Trump in that election. Right now, I'd say the Democrats have less than 4 months to do something on impeachment. After that, they're just helping Trump win the next election.
        Once serious campaigning starts next year for the election, the Democrats will just be seen as trying to rig that election using impeachment as an excuse.

        Comment


        • #5
          what about Pence becoming the presidential candidate if Trump is convicted? I wonder if that may not be a consideration for some republicans in the senate to vote for Trumps impeachment?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by jeffdoorgunnr View Post
            what about Pence becoming the presidential candidate if Trump is convicted? I wonder if that may not be a consideration for some republicans in the senate to vote for Trumps impeachment?
            That would likely be the case. But, having it happen shortly before the election would put Pence in as basically a bench warmer who was put in the game at the last minute. The Democrat candidate would have the advantage of having campaigned for months, built up support whereas Pence would be essentially a name on the ballot.

            I think many people, a great many people, would see that as the Democrats trying to steal an election.

            Comment

            Latest Topics

            Collapse

            Working...
            X